second standard tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi has anyone tried to fit a second standard tank to a d22 3lt the other side of the tail shaft looked about the same size space if you moved the exhaust ?

Where would you move the exhaust to?

Noting, of course, that the exhaust doesn't stay cool for long, so it needs to have some considerable distance between it and the highly flammable contents of the fuel tank.

I'm not sure there are many options available there. I don't think I'd like the exhaust to end under the cab, and I doubt stacks would fit although you could make a few rednecks* excited by fitting working stacks, 12 spotlights, 4 antennae and metre-wide mudflaps on the vehicle. Don't forget the "Bundy Lives Here" sticker across the tailgate.

One thing you could do is replace the rear bumper with some barwork that includes two tyre holders (these are available as after-market items) then use the spare wheel area for a fuel tank. The standard wheel occupies about 116.7 litres so you ought to be able to get a tank in that (with wall thickness, baffling etc) ought to hold about 110 litres.

* My apologies to anyone that actually drives a vehicle like that. The term "redneck" was intended to be humourous, not offensive.

I seem to remember the same topic being discussed in the D22 section about 12 months ago, I don't remember the responses or possible options but someone else who was here that long ago might remember.

Its crossed my mind to but haven't looked much more into it.

Let us know how you go.

Dave.

Second Tank

Thanks guys I will still consider-it and do a few measurements if you don't explore new ideas you don't find new ways .Hey Tony calling someone a red neck does not offend but tacking the piss on a question I believed forums were all about might? Sorry if I read your reply wrong.

Not trying to take the piss out of anyone at all mate, just amusing myself over the twin stacks idea which would keep the exhaust away from the fuel tank.

On a hot day that exhaust is going to be extra-crispy. If it's close to the fuel tank, so will the occupants of the vehicle, and that's just not good.

That's why I suggested using the area where the spare is. I think there's a way of bolting an additional tank in behind the current tank too, and I thought ARB sold something like that.

The most important thing is to make sure that your fuel tanks are never, ever compromised. Half the reason for having the exhaust on the other side is to keep the hot bits away.

You could shield the tanks - a laminate made of insulative fibre matting with aluminium plating surrounded by sheet steel plating ought to be sufficient, but if you can whack 2 spares on the tail and get the tank built into where the spare went, PLUS add another tank behind your original, you've got a lot of extra fuel on board without the risk of turning yourself into a flambe.

There's a d22 in Ballarat that has stacks in the tub behind the cab. Gotta a picture of it on my phone. It looks hilarious, in my opinion.

Get some pics of the stacks, there are a few utes getting around here with stacks.

No Navara's though.

Good point Nathan.

Dave.

i had a bit of a look into what you are suggesting, but the exhaust is the main poblem, in my opinion you just wouldn't get enough clearance. I have ordered a 4wd systems tank, 145L. When I was looking around at tanks, i rang opposite lock ad they said they had a sub tank to go under the spare wheel, but he never got back to me on pricing, so fck them (what is the deal with 4wd shops never calling you back when they say they will? have they got too much work on?). Have also considered the dual wheel carrier, 1st problem is that no one makes one for the D22 and 2nd, I am a bit concerned about all that weight hanging off the back.

Can,t comment on my d22 ,Because no long range tank yet. But on my last ute dual cab hilux, I had the exhaust bent to give clearance between it and the long range tank,But even then there would have been less than 50 mm gap. Diesel that is petrol would be a different matter

Thanks again guys . Sorry Tony Good reply .I am going to put it up on a hoist and have a good look maybe run exhaust under left side step ? Do understand that safety comes first.Intend fabricating new exhaust anyway. was going 3" but may have to look at 2.5".Had a quick look today and maybe see problem of where to cross over chassis to under side step without loosing ground clearance.would also have to cut and fabricate front end of bash plate because would be opposite way but that would be easy. I am just thinking that if I can work it out would be cheaper and larger option.Joshy if I can work it out will see you about the tank but I figure if I do work it out they might quickly become sort after.I am new to 4x4 but love fabricating stuff am also building my own inter cooler .Have made new front bash plate out of 6mm aly checker plate looks great cost $25 . any and all suggestions will be taken on board. Hopefully may come up with something that will benefit anyone else trying to do stuff on a budget.If not will have had good fun trying.

Thanks will remember no open buckets of Gas as I said all comments will be taken on board ??

When you're working near the side steps remember that people sometimes replace side steps with rock sliders, because as the 4WD passes over an obstacle or even a rise, the front wheels pass over the obstacle and the middle of the car gets very close to the obstacle.

Thanks Tony what you say is spot on.I might be out of options will now look into space required for clearance from exhaust with diesel fuel and as you said earlier shielding. Then if that's no good just have a beer and go buy a long range tank?or look at the spare wheel idea.Hey might even look at the red neck option or have more beers and forget it.. Thanks for the input. Kevin

My wife and I went to Uluru at Christmas and took 4 of those Willow 20 litre jerry cans that sat in the tub. I like the Willow ones because they have a handle in the side, so that they're a lot easier to hold up while filling the vehicle.

There were occasions that they came in handy. Would I get a long range tank? Might do, one day. I'll get a single-tank option, because I don't want to pump between them, and having two tanks that just have a pipe between them may cause issues if I'm off-roading and put the vehicle on a steep angle.

Latest posts

Back