Service by time not distance

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panuara

Reaction score
Took the nav for its 20000 k service, dealership said they did the 20 & 30 k service as it had been over 6 months and had to have the six monthly ones done for nissan warranty. Only charged me for the one service but said the next one in 6 months would be the 40k service and cost about a grand.
Is this right or should they just do a supplementary service until it gets to 40k.
Not doing much distance at the moment until I retire at the end of next year.
Anyone know what the nissan requirements to keep warranty are.

but you don't NEED to service at the stealership by law just a licenced mechanic, just use nissan products or rated equivalents.
I use lubemobile cause it is convenient, and I request a specific mechanic, though just use whoever you are confident with.

As above. Nissan can't refuse warranty on the basis of you not servicing the vehicle with them.

It's after the warranty period is over that who you serviced the vehicle with becomes important. Let's say your warranty expires at 100,000km and at 110,000km the timing chain lets go. Technically it's your problem, $10K or more to get the engine repaired or replaced and you're back on the road. However, if you've serviced regularly with a Nissan dealer, you can approach Nissan for a goodwill warranty claim.

but regardless of who does the services, you need to get it done at 10000km or 6 month intervals?

Thanks for the info. I know that some fluids such as brake fluid absorb moisture over time and need replacement but hard to see how engine oil, oil filters, fuel filters, pollen filters etc require replacement. Seems like a way of ensuring an income stream for the mechanics.

It is an income stream? Probably is, but there's also another reason for it.

If the vehicle is serviced regularly and in accordance with the schedule provided following the Nissan-provided steps to conduct the service (which will ONLY take place at a Nissan dealer) then it's reasonable to assume that any faults that do occur that aren't "wear and tear" are due to a warrantable item. It also allows a Nissan-certified inspection of the vehicle (and whether or not this inspection occurs is up to the dealer) so that any potential problems can be identified.

This has a negative side-effect. They won't see the bleeding obvious because it's not in their instructions to look. Blocked your EGR valve? I did. Had mine serviced about a dozen times at the same dealer since, even had warranty work carried out, the EGR plate is still where it belongs. They had to check the charge air connection to the intake manifold for a boost leak and replaced the hose - mere cm away from the EGR valve.

It is an income stream? Probably is, but there's also another reason for it.

If the vehicle is serviced regularly and in accordance with the schedule provided following the Nissan-provided steps to conduct the service (which will ONLY take place at a Nissan dealer) then it's reasonable to assume that any faults that do occur that aren't "wear and tear" are due to a warrantable item. It also allows a Nissan-certified inspection of the vehicle (and whether or not this inspection occurs is up to the dealer) so that any potential problems can be identified.

This has a negative side-effect. They won't see the bleeding obvious because it's not in their instructions to look. Blocked your EGR valve? I did. Had mine serviced about a dozen times at the same dealer since, even had warranty work carried out, the EGR plate is still where it belongs. They had to check the charge air connection to the intake manifold for a boost leak and replaced the hose - mere cm away from the EGR valve.

thats the exact reason why i only get my truck serviced at nissan - i figure even if they dont always do the best job or miss a couple of things they are ultimately responsible for signing the book and paying out on warranty claims. much easier to deal with them when they are the ones who have done every service and can put a face to a claim etc.

Latest posts

Back