Shake in front end - 4H

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just returned from a great trip to Fraser and had a little issue with the run up the beach in the D22.

Basically it has a shake coming through the steering wheel from 70kph when in 4H. Most noticeable when accelerating, and goes away when pushing the clutch in. I put it in 2H and the shake does not occur... (hubs still locked).

So I am wondering about possible things to check (or have checked). I will prob get it to the workshop soon but thought I'd ask her first. Anyone have any tips?

Cheers!

Hmmm, thanks Tony. Do you reckon there is a way to measure / check it?

Another thought, when I gave it a post beach wash, I noticed a bit of oil on the front right hand rim.... Not sure if that means it could be hub related.

Someone also said if I had tried 4H with the hubs unlocked that might narrow things down...? Would that do any harm?

Another thought, when I gave it a post beach wash, I noticed a bit of oil on the front right hand rim.... Not sure if that means it could be hub related.

Someone also said if I had tried 4H with the hubs unlocked that might narrow things down...? Would that do any harm?

You may have a faulty hub not engaging properly or slipping out of drive. I had similar issues years ago, I ended up replacing both hubs and never had an issue again.

wont do any harm selecting 4h or 4lo with the hubs out

absolutely nothing wrong using 4H or 4LO with the hubs in free position, simply because the front axle is just spinning but the wheel is still free which makes wind up impossible!
so just do a couple of meter with Hubs on FREE and transfer case lever on 4HI

I use 4L unlocked all the time, no problems ever.
Oil on the wheel means you should service the hub, the seal or a bearing is on the way out.

Process of elimination really.

Thanks for your replies guys, I will have it checked out... Yeah found the oil after my initial post, but that makes sense. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back