Shocking rattle in motor. Timing chain?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
After driving home today when i pulled up there is a terrible rattle noise coming from the motor. It sounds like some thing is slapping round its not a belt or anything i can see. Its in the motor some where. I got racv to come have a look at it even though they are useless where i am. They said it sounds like the timming chain. But i have also noticed a little oil leak from the bottom of the turbo recently. Or is that another issue. Any way im not game to start it up so think its on a trailer to the doctors tomoro. Any tips or ideas would be great

You could check the turbo by pulling the intake pipe off and checking the free play in the impeller, or just check that it is intact. They do have a tendency to brake up then the fragments go through the top end.
From the sound of it though i wouldn't start it until you check everything, pull the cover off the and check the timing chain or wait until your mechanic can do it for you.

You could check the turbo by pulling the intake pipe off and checking the free play in the impeller, or just check that it is intact. They do have a tendency to brake up then the fragments go through the top end.
From the sound of it though i wouldn't start it until you check everything, pull the cover off the and check the timing chain or wait until your mechanic can do it for you.

Yeah thanks mate i wish i could do that myself but im a tradie and no mechanic haha. If the turbo went does it make a rough rattle. What possible damage con be done if its the timming chain slapping around

If the turbo goes, you'll not have a lot of power around 2,500rpm - and you'll have chunks of turbocharger entering the engine. Your garage shows a car that doesn't have the bonnet scoop and you haven't mentioned installing a front-mount intercooler (FMIC) to catch the broken bits. If it happens, say bye-bye to the top end of the engine - valves, pistons and head at the least.

If the timing chain lets go, the valves will stop moving - but the momentum of the engine will keep the pistons moving, so a valve that has been opened will be rammed upwards by the rising piston. Damage = pistons, valves, valve guides, head.

Either one is expensive. It's far cheaper to have a mechanic get their head into it and diagnose the fault - and fix that, rather than a full rebuild.

+ 1 ^^ What Tony said.
even if the chain doesnt snap and is just slapping around it could jump/skip some teeth and have the same effect as what Tony explained.

hi mate if u own the 2.5 litre they have crap timing chains and guides in them the nissan timming chains and guides are not worth replacing there is a fella that doses upgrade kits he sold me my kit so if u need a kit he sells all double row timing chain conversion kit have a look on this site http://www.yd25.com.au/

Thanks Nathan and Tony. You have confirmed what I thought that it sounded like a expensive noise. If its not 1 thing its a bloody nother with my ute it spends half its time at the mechanics. Na no intercooler Tony it was the next thing im saving for. Hopefully once I get it looked at its not so bad

hi mate if u own the 2.5 litre they have crap timing chains and guides in them the nissan timming chains and guides are not worth replacing there is a fella that doses upgrade kits he sold me my kit so if u need a kit he sells all double row timing chain conversion kit have a look on this site http://www.yd25.com.au/

thanks mate but its a 3.0 litre zd30. But if its a option on my motor I'll look into it

This has been coming up more and more often.... See my thread about engine rattle .... Go and start it now or in the morning and tell me if the noise is gone.... Then when it warms up after your drive to work tell me if the noise is back.... Mine and every other zd30 navara i could find all had the very loud rattle from the timming chain.... I still dont think its normal but every navara i could find all had the rattle once warm

This has been coming up more and more often.... See my thread about engine rattle .... Go and start it now or in the morning and tell me if the noise is gone.... Then when it warms up after your drive to work tell me if the noise is back.... Mine and every other zd30 navara i could find all had the very loud rattle from the timming chain.... I still dont think its normal but every navara i could find all had the rattle once warm

My ZD30 had over 350k on it and never had a rattle like you are explaining.
Dave (admin) has over 230k on his and no rattle as far as i know or herd when i last saw his D22 at stockton.

Did u compare yours cold and hot or let it warm up while standing at the front of the motor? I could only get my hands on about 4 zd30 navaras and they all had it ... They varried from 115,000 to 250 i think it was

If its not normal id love to know what it is!!! Some suggested cam gear loose but surely all my mates and mine cant have loose cam gears

Did u compare yours cold and hot or let it warm up while standing at the front of the motor? I could only get my hands on about 4 zd30 navaras and they all had it ... They varried from 115,000 to 250 i think it was

If its not normal id love to know what it is!!! Some suggested cam gear loose but surely all my mates and mine cant have loose cam gears

Mate i just never herd it full stop.
Also i deliberately have my radio off on start up and turn it off just to listen to my engines so i can hopefully pick up on any probs before they become major probs

Mine isnt a startup only noise.... and cant really hear it with bonnet closed ill bet yours will have the noise im referring to.... Most people said they never had it untill i pointed it out and that it wasnt there when cold

G'day Hosery.

Don't let that turbo explode. Mine did in January this year. I was lucky, apparently. Only cost me $5700. It only got into the top of the motor.

Good luck mate!!!

Goldy

Mine isnt a startup only noise.... and cant really hear it with bonnet closed ill bet yours will have the noise im referring to.... Most people said they never had it untill i pointed it out and that it wasnt there when cold

Sorry mate i no longer have it but i did think you were talking about the sort of noise this thread is about "SHOCKING RATTLE IN MOTOR, TIMING CHAIN?"
if you can only here the noise when you have the bonnet open i think i do remember hearing it, BUT in no way would i ever of thought it was "SHOCKING"

hey mate I wish it were like that. But the noise is that bad I won't dare start it again. Its a real rough loud rattle. Nathand22 is right its shocking you can not only hear it with the bonnet down you would hear it 50m up the rd

G'day Hosery.

Don't let that turbo explode. Mine did in January this year. I was lucky, apparently. Only cost me $5700. It only got into the top of the motor.

Good luck mate!!!

Goldy

hey goldy thanks. Sorry to hear about yours. I hope it hasn't gone because I no how much damage they can do. I was currently saving for a intercooler to prevent that happening.

hey mate I wish it were like that. But the noise is that bad I won't dare start it again. Its a real rough loud rattle. Nathand22 is right its shocking you can not only hear it with the bonnet down you would hear it 50m up the rd

Ohhhhhhhh sorry shit man rip that front cover off and make sure you let us know what it is!!!!!

Mine doesn't do that noise, the Buckets and shim's arrangement changed in 2003.

Pull the rocker cover and see how the chain is.

Mine doesn't do that noise, the Buckets and shim's arrangement changed in 2003.

Pull the rocker cover and see how the chain is.

If i new where the rocker cover was i would check it. But i have no idea i only just learnt to change the oil. My mechanic is having a look at it in the morning so i will no more than. Hopefully its not destroyed

Latest posts

Back