Shocking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

Reaction score
Approx 25k ago i had new munroe heavy duty shocks fitted. They were really good for a while. Then about 10k ago i fitted dobinson hd front springs, ironman rear 100kg leaf springs and cooper maxx st 33" tyres. All was going great and really happy until last week. I had to do anout 100km on a badly corrugated twisty loose metal road. I didnt really push to hard but by the time i got there the truck was all over the place. Its ok on the road but once it gets a workout the shocks just loose the plot. Axle tramp all round.
Has anyone found the munroe hd shocks to give up that easly?
Truck is going in on tuesday for a set of extra hd rancho adjustables. How have peeps found them? There is a chance the munroes might be paid out under warrenty so fingers crossed otherwise it was an expensive trip. Also blew both headlight bulbs and rear view mirror flew off and hit me in the head. A bit of super glue fixed that! The mirror not my head...
Yes it was a rough road!!! Lol

most shocks will lose the plot on roads like that.
really need reservoir on the shocks to help on the cooling.

the axle tramp may be the rear springs being a bit to soft. 100kg springs sounds really light.

That's the reason I chose OME Nitrocharger Sports shocks, but having seen Seldom Seen's ShockWerx shocks with a much larger bore and an optional external reservoir, I'm trying those next.

Every movement of the shock creates heat. Eventually the fluid gets too hot, loses stability, becomes too thin to be effective and way too much heat can cause component failure particularly in the valving which in some shocks is plastic!

Larger bore shocks hold more fluid and so the heat is not only distributed through a larger mass, but it dissipates through a larger surface more readily too. I think my OME shocks have 43mm bores - I can't wait to try the ShockWerx with their 57mm bores.

We now tow a 2.5T caravan - it's a road van and we don't mind hauling its sorry ass on corrugated dirt roads. Having shocks that work well enough to allow me to retain control of the vehicle at 100km/h on dirt is fantastic, and I can't wait to try something that's even better!

If you want an excellent, rebuildable, customisable shock Edelbrock IAS.
I've seen these on a shock dyno and they were the ONLY ones that could handle long periods of simulated corrugations with out fading away to be as useful as a bicycle pump.
They are not cheap but they are great value........ I will put them on my D22 if I keep it much longer.

Well the rancho 9000xl shocks are in. Will be doing a long trip on some really bad roads tomorrow so will report on how they go.
Better be bloody excellent at the price of them...
Looking forward to driving without feeling like i need a neck brace and inflatable cushion...lol
Must be getting old :/

Well the rancho 9000xl shocks are in. Will be doing a long trip on some really bad roads tomorrow so will report on how they go.
Better be bloody excellent at the price of them...
Looking forward to driving without feeling like i need a neck brace and inflatable cushion...lol
Must be getting old :/

will be interesting to see.
should be able to tune them into your new springs. the old shocks probably didn't match them well.
but they are not mono shocks so may not like heat build up of lots of use.

Latest posts

Back