Should I do the timing chain or not

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrOzLov

Reaction score
Hi all

So I bought a few months ago a second hand D40 2.5L 2007 Spanish. It has 222'000 km on the clock. I am the third owner. There are many reasons I bought this one, but the main relevant here is that I wanted to learn about 4wd cars. When I bought it, I could not tell the difference between diesel and petrol engines. BUT after I bought it, I started working weekends at mates garage, he is a car mech, and since than have learned heaps.

So far done on the Navara:
- new OEM injectors
- new OEM Fuel Filter
- new oils (engine, transmission, diffs, etc.)
- new battery

Currently experiencing issues with:
- Sometimes stalling under 1000RPM
- Used to go in limp mode but it hasn't happened in a while

Either way, at one stage it was stalling rather badly so I took it to this other mech who works at Nissan Dealership. He hooked it up to the computer and diagnosed following:
Suction control valve is playing up. He put the fuel pump in learn mode to combat this. But it didn't help much as it still happens occasionally.
Apart from that, the computer didn't show anything. He reckons the car drives fine for a D40. The only thing he suggested I do is to check the timing chain and replace it and other parts around it. He quoted me max 2400 AUD. (by max I mean all parts need to be changed...also single row chain, not double row)

I am planning to do also:
- replace the suction control valve to fix the stalling under 1000rpm as it still happens sometimes
- install oil catch can
- block off EGR or at least try to

Now the question for you guys, should I really check the timing chain? I am quite aware of the potential damage that it can do to the car if it breaks or tension loosens. Also I don't have any evidence that the first owner did it, second one didn't do it for sure.

I can't here any noise, but the Nissan mech reckons I should do it as he can here it a bit.

What do you guys think?

Dr. OzLov

do it at 220,000 I am surprised that it hasn't already been done. Mine went at 130,000, its a lot cheaper to do a chain than a whole motor. From memory mine cost $1600 for a duplex kit and around $1000 to get it fitted.

I can't here any noise, but the Nissan mech reckons I should do it as he can here it a bit.

What do you guys think?

Listen to the expert. If he can hear it, it's bad and may snap at any time costing you a small fortune.

I couldn't hear mine but it still managed to do this, fortunately I caught it before the chain snapped.

2011-07-08051842_zps7ae4afa2.jpg

Do not waste your money on anything other than a Duplex setup sold by YD25.com

^ As above, if the mech can hear it, it's already worn excessively and it's now just a matter of time.

As for the SCV, try cleaning it first. There seem to be two possible problems with it: it's either dirty or it's worn. Cleaning it is obviously cheaper and should be attempted first. While removed, an inspection will reveal any damage (pitting/scoring) but wear may not be obvious on casual inspection.

Understood. Thanks guys. Will definitely go for it!

Old Tony, many thanks for your tip re SCV. I am just a bit confused now: do I take it off and clean it with a degrease? If I see any pitting/scoring, does that mean that SCV is worn out and I need to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Nik

Clean it in petrol, then rinse it in fresh diesel. Petrol in minute quantities won't do anything bad to your engine. Degreaser could (stuff that flows through/past the SCV will end up being squirted through your injectors at a massive pressure).

Pitting. or scoring means the SCV is toast.

Thanks champ!!! :top:

Now one more question if I may ask:

I was changing the engine oil yesterday and realised that the thread on the plug is gone so I bought a new one. Now the bldy thing is dripping. So I put in the new plug/screw, have not even started the engine but the oil is dripping slowly.

I guess the thread it gone on the oil pan gasket. Any simple fix for this or do I need to replace the gasket?

Cheers

Dr.OzLov

So when I check my suction control valve (clean or replace) I assume I will have to reset the ECU?

Well at least that's what the Nissan Dealer mechanic said: I will set your system in learn mode after we replace the SCV.

But if I do it myself, I can just follow the manual reset of ECU, can't I? Doesn't that flush/erase the memory of the ECU and put the entire system in learn mode?

The reason for resetting the fuel maps is because the car's learnt some bad habits because of the SCV (if it's the SCV at fault) and the car needs to unlearn those habits. It can do it two ways: gradually, or instantly with a reset.

It's not vital to do, but it's worth doing to speed up the process of unlearning the bad fuel mapping.

The manual "backyard" way of popping the negative battery lead, brake pedal, restore the lead does work.

Roger that.

Just this manual backyard way is new to me.....so did I understand this correctly:
1. Disconnect negative from battery.
2. Press break pedal once for a second.
3. Connect negative to battery....and job done, ECU memory cleared.

Is this right?

Not a d40 here but I can recommend the duplex kit from YD25.com as a great piece of gear. Haven't installed one and my cars just clicked 120000 and no noises or anything from my motor. Even though my mechanic seems to bring it up at every service lol.

You can just pop the neg lead off and leave it for 10mins and connect it back up.

Rusty

Yeah, i did read about the duplex kit, but not really sure if it is better or just an overkill....also what does it cost?

Yeah, i did read about the duplex kit, but not really sure if it is better or just an overkill....also what does it cost?
From reports on here, around 1600 for the kit and around 1k labour, depending on where you go or if you can do it yourself.

When you contact yd25.com the guys explains everything. I think you get a choice of 2 duplex chains and one is made by the same manufacturer used for Lamborghini etc. Quality is top notch. I'll be upgrading once I start hearing noises or the mechanic says it's time

I'm inclined to agree, fit the dual row kit for not much more $$ and have the peace of mind. Eventually when you come to sell, advertise the fact that it has had a new dual row chain fitted and you will recover a chunk of the money you spent anyway.

timing chain

240,000 on my 2007 d40 replaced the chain because everyone said it should not have lasted that long,all my timing gear was like new pissed of i wasted $1600 i would pull the cover off and inspect before buying a kit

Latest posts

Back