Should I do the timing chain or not

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents, I've got a plethora of great info and top advice on my first post! Am I a happy Navara owner! ;) Thanks everyone!

Still not sure re duplex chain, but will see. Also a bit concerned regarding Beno's comment. Really not keen to buy the gear for nothing....either way, it's due for a thorough inspection and that will be done for sure.

Cheers

DrOzLov

On the SCV, mine used to do the limp thing until I started using fuel doctor in my tank. Seems that stuff can really cure everything but world hunger.

It's a fuel additive for diesel boat motors. I read about it on here so gave it a go. It keeps water out of your fuel and cleans your fuel system while I believe helping with lubrication. Nissan told me to replace the scv but it has only played up once since using fuel doctor and that was just after starting treatment. I have seen it at supercheap auto.

Thanks MrCBR, that sounds promising.......any other opinions/experiences with fuel doctor?

Just keen to get a better understand....a while ago I was thinking to flush the oil but then I read here that the chemicals in oil flush products might eat on the seals. So I left it....will try flush it with diesel or simple change oil more frequent for a while.

I haven't tried Fuel Doctor, I've been using Liqui Moly products myself but might give Fuel Doctor a go next time mine starts hunting again (variable idle on cold start, like it's surging).

I haven't tried Fuel Doctor, I've been using Liqui Moly products myself but might give Fuel Doctor a go next time mine starts hunting again (variable idle on cold start, like it's surging).
I have noticed mine doing this of late!
Another thing the Mrs is going to spit it at, more money into the ute!!

To clarify, surging in start up could be the scv?

Interesting....
I've been using a lubricant for the injectors for years now, called responsive by responsive engineering

( 07 stx spain 170k )
Can I just quickly ask what does a "faulty" timing chain sound like. She has developed a squeek on cold starts. Sounds like a belt?! Maybe..

( 07 stx spain 170k )
Can I just quickly ask what does a "faulty" timing chain sound like. She has developed a squeek on cold starts. Sounds like a belt?! Maybe..

Squeek is much more likely to be a belt or a bearing in one of the pulleys/tensioners. A worn or loose chain sounds more like a very soft consistent rattle / rumble.

when I was speaking with the guys from yd25.com.au they said you probably wont even hear it going because there are so many guides for the chain to run along it wont flap about too much, and the best way to check is to pull it apart and inspect it the way they describe on their website.

I am ordering one of their kits and going to try and install it myself, it should be straight forward, comes with step by step instructions. beats paying the $160/hr my local mechanic charges in labour

when I was speaking with the guys from yd25.com.au they said you probably wont even hear it going because there are so many guides for the chain to run along it wont flap about too much, and the best way to check is to pull it apart and inspect it the way they describe on their website.

I am ordering one of their kits and going to try and install it myself, it should be straight forward, comes with step by step instructions. beats paying the $160/hr my local mechanic charges in labour

Yep, those $160s add up quickly to buying yourself a nice torque wrench and a few other tools you may need for this job.

My experience has always been that this type of thing can be tackled by anybody who is reasonably competent and confident, it usually just takes you longer than the guys who do it every day!

From what I understand the biggest issue with doing it yourself is that there is a dowel pin that has a tendency to drop into the sump if you are not carful when you remove the cover after that its relatively straight forward. Oh the other thing would be to make sure you have new seals/gaskets on hand as I dont think the kit comes with them. The only reason I had Nissan do mine was that I just didnt have the time to do it myself.

I already have all the tools I need to do it myself, so it makes sense to give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up about the dowel pin and the gasket kit

I already have all the tools I need to do it myself, so it makes sense to give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up about the dowel pin and the gasket kit

I saw a thread a while ago documenting the install with loads of pictures. Have you had a look at that ?

Do you know the link for that thread? I have not seen it and am looking at the upgrade soon.

It looks like the thread was stickied at the top of the D40 engine section, but I thought there were more pictures ? ? Either way, read through it, lots of info!

Ok fellas, so this morning I got hold of the first owner of my Nav. Get ready for this: the car has done 223000 kms without one timing chain service!!!!

I have the first one booked next weekend based on mechanic's advice...he reckons, he can hear bit of noise but no error codes...he still recommends the change which I definitely agree with.

He was also cool enough to allow me to bring my own parts and help him out, in order to learn. His parts are bit pricey as he is getting the genuine ones from Nissan (he works there).

What other options do I have? I did have a chat with yd25 guys today and they quoted me 1600 for double chain....thanks but no thanks. It's just too much for my budget.

I am looking for something with decent quality, good reputation, up to 1000 bucks worth...any brands, any suggestions?

Dr. OzLov

Latest posts

Back