slide on canopy for d22 for a tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks pretty good. are you going to overlap the checker plate on the frame and put some sort of seal under there or haven't you decided yet? i'd say 1.6mm would be ok, that should hold up fairly well without being too heavy. i think people are making bash plates out of 5mm alloy but that needs to be a lot tougher than a canopy cover. are you going to checker plate the front where that mesh is too?

as for the hinges i guess it depends what you want to use. you could probably use those medium duty gate hinges, like these
hinge010.jpg

just one on each end

good idear thanks for that il look into making them.

finished all the painting today. it dosent seem like there is no colour but there is its aluminium. now i need to cover it with alloy and wire a light in there. its slowly coming together. :redcool:

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0254.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 170
thanks FatBoy89. rest might take a little while as i just found out we have no work. 2 jobs that we had lind up fell though :pissedoff: so now i have to look for work. im a chippy by trade.

looks pretty good. are you going to overlap the checker plate on the frame and put some sort of seal under there or haven't you decided yet? i'd say 1.6mm would be ok, that should hold up fairly well without being too heavy. i think people are making bash plates out of 5mm alloy but that needs to be a lot tougher than a canopy cover. are you going to checker plate the front where that mesh is too?

Haven't decided if I will over lap the checker plate yet but I want it to be water/ dust proof so I'm not shore as for the mesh I think il keep it on as a safety measure and cover it to. I don't anything flying though the back window if I get hit from behind.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see to on your ute. Is it going to be painted the same colour as your car?

i was thinking that but im hoping to cover it with alloy so i tryed to colour match it as close as i can to the alloy. the colour of my car is silver so it will be close anyway i think

i was thinking that but im hoping to cover it with alloy so i tryed to colour match it as close as i can to the alloy. the colour of my car is silver so it will be close anyway i think

Not interested in canvas? Alloy will mean a lot of tech screws

Not interested in canvas? Alloy will mean a lot of tech screws

I love that idea but its not suited for me. Y because I live in a theft prone area so I can't let the d**** head help them selfs to my tool AGAIN. Also I am hoping it will be water/ dust prof. Just a question how did you secure your frame to the tub? Any pic? As for the Tec screws I was thinking of ether gluing it on with sika flex an one or two rivets or welding it and the put a angle around the edges.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Im hoping to start something similar for my ute soon. Ill be using yours as reference. Any chance your'e close to Brisbane so i can have a look and maybe throw a tape over it?

Last edited:
I love that idea but its not suited for me. Y because I live in a theft prone area so I can't let the d**** head help them selfs to my tool AGAIN. Also I am hoping it will be water/ dust prof. Just a question how did you secure your frame to the tub? Any pic? As for the Tec screws I was thinking of ether gluing it on with sika flex an one or two rivets or welding it and the put a angle around the edges.

You won't be able to weld alloy to steel. So it will be fixings you need. Mine is just two original sports bars joined by alloy bars. Easy days.

when i get to making one i will probably do it similar to yours but with mesh on all the sides and canvas over the top. that way you can lock it up under the canvas. should still be fairly waterproof, not so much dust proof though, but even people with fiberglass canopies complain of dust getting in near the wheel arches because of holes in the tub.

i'd say the best way to attach the checkerplate would be rivets with sika underneath to seal it up

when i get to making one i will probably do it similar to yours but with mesh on all the sides and canvas over the top. that way you can lock it up under the canvas. should still be fairly waterproof, not so much dust proof though, but even people with fiberglass canopies complain of dust getting in near the wheel arches because of holes in the tub.

i'd say the best way to attach the checkerplate would be rivets with sika underneath to seal it up

ThAt was my plan but then I got lazy haha. I will do that once I buy a welder one day

Haha, tell me about it. I have a welder but just haven't got the time to do it or the spare cash at the moment for the materials. I'm trying to decide whether to build it out of steel or alloy to save weight. The only problem is welding alloy, I've never tig welded before so that would be an experience, lol

Haha, tell me about it. I have a welder but just haven't got the time to do it or the spare cash at the moment for the materials. I'm trying to decide whether to build it out of steel or alloy to save weight. The only problem is welding alloy, I've never tig welded before so that would be an experience, lol

Don't you need 3 phase to tig weld?
I thought of that for weight but eh. I'm just going go out of steel

Last edited:
nah you don't need 3 phase, it depends on the type of welder you have. a lot of arc welders now have a dc lift tig function on them and they only operate on single phase. how well they work i don't know, but it is a fairly cheap way to start learning.

Sounds good. Im hoping to start something similar for my ute soon. Ill be using yours as reference. Any chance your'e close to Brisbane so i can have a look and maybe throw a tape over it?

your more than welcome to use it as a reference but its not the best on going around. sorry mate i live in melbourn bit to far, if you want i can run a tape over it just let me know what you want.

mine had mesh on all the sides and i cut them off so i can cover it with alloy or steel. look in the photos at the start. Fatboy89 all you need is motervation and a lot of time because it takes up alot of your spear time.its well werth it though. where abouts do you live?

i went and bought the sika flex 227 from bunnings, man its not cheap $17 a tube any way i needed it so not to worry. now for the alloy i think still not shore.:confused:

mine had mesh on all the sides and i cut them off so i can cover it with alloy or steel. look in the photos at the start. Fatboy89 all you need is motervation and a lot of time because it takes up alot of your spear time.its well werth it though. where abouts do you live?

I'm Sydney mate. Yeah I'm a busy boy so ill leave it til Nezt year haha. Might take a week off and hack into it

Latest posts

Back