Snugtop v ARB v EGR Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DundeeSun

Reaction score
I have searched around but not getting too much on the pros and cons of the various canopies. I really am only looking at three types of canopy;

- the 'genuine' snugtop,
- the EGR, or
- the ARB.

I would appreciate any feedback on any of these, why one would be the preference over the other etc?

Genuine = overpriced, if you really want a genuine source it from the manufacturer or even a reseller. The local Nissan dealer quoted my old man a 'genuine' which for them is flexiglass for $4500 3 weeks ago. You can get them well under than from retail stores.

I reckon ARB are shit, poorly made over priced and depending on the store badly installed. But plenty of people here reckon they suit their purpose.

EGR I have no idea about, however canopies are a personal thing, you can either look at each one, check them out as to how you will use it and then only have yourself to blame if you later decide it's not what you want, or buy because it suited someone else's needs and blame them. Personally I'd rather make up my own mind.

Have a look at alpha Canopus sold by Blueys ute world. I have had two, one on my D22 & another on both my D40's (just repainted).
Have photos of it in my garage or build thread or albums in my profile.

I went with ARB 6 years ago purely on weight. Was the lightest of the ones I looked at. Hasn't let me down yet.

I have ARB also. Got it installed by Nissan (ARB)as part of my lease package. The rear rubber seal keeps falling off at various points around edge. I keep gluing in various places around edge. Probably covered by warranty, not annoying me enough to take in. I think it was 2700 installed. If I had my time again would have got the trade lift up windows instead of sliding windows on side. Also would have got the roof racks that have supports bolted to tray to provide additional support. My thoughts? It's weather proof, I can lock it and stops dogs jumping out. Negatives, compared to a tray it can be limiting on what you can take. As for other brands I'm sorry but have never had them.

I have the snug top which is two and a half years old. I have lived in Western Qld for the past year and as a result of the terrible state of the highways, the locks on both sides and the rear canopy windows have shaken that much they no longer work. Quoted about one hundred for a new set for each window, but haven't bothered yet as it'll only happen again. Whether the other canopies would withstand the shaking from the roads I don't know, but I expected better.

I use an ARB high roof grained finish. Sliding windows (dog-friendley), top vent, side mesh, front fold-down window (increased visibility and ease of cleaning). Cost was $1800 installed.

It's neat, it works, and parts (eg glass) will be available in years to come if needed. I don't need much more than that.

Thanks for the heads up gents, I was most inclined to go the Snugtop (genuine) but I will be travelling the same western QLD roads a bit so that was good info.

ARB are reasonably priced and fairly simple so that is looking the best at this point. I just don't like the look of them as much as the EGR or Snugtop..they are quite boxy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969982.711038.jpg

I reckon ARB are shit, poorly made over priced and depending on the store badly installed. But plenty of people here reckon they suit their purpose.

I had my arb canopy fitted around 5 years ago and it has been great, the paint unlike the nissan paint has no scratches from driving through overgrown scrub.
The roof rack that has the internal rack system has carried around 3 times its weight rating on a regular basis.
Its been completely water/dust proof
The instillation, well, it lines up with the body and has not fallen off yet,
The locks are not great quality but got replaced under warranty without question.
What bad experience have you had with arb canopy's to give you that impression Krafty?

An ARB store tried bullshitting me with the locks, saying they were not covered by warranty. When I said not to worry and that I would be contacting ARB head office, they offered to replace the dodgy lock.

After they gave it a spray with dry lube, it has worked fine since.

On another occasion, the same store gave me bits and pieces I needed to install a winch that was clearly bought elsewhere. All at no cost.

It is just unfortunate that they sometimes let themselves down.

An ARB store tried bullshitting me with the locks, saying they were not covered by warranty. When I said not to worry and that I would be contacting ARB head office, they offered to replace the dodgy lock.

After they gave it a spray with dry lube, it has worked fine since.

On another occasion, the same store gave me bits and pieces I needed to install a winch that was clearly bought elsewhere. All at no cost.

It is just unfortunate that they sometimes let themselves down.

Same as most big businesses. Its probably hard to have 100% QC across such big company's.

What bad experience have you had with arb canopy's to give you that impression Krafty?

One on each farm Lux and one on the crewman. Some of it has to do with the installer as stated but they are made to a price rather than a quality and there is just as good out there for the price and shitloads better out there for a little bit more.

Have a look at alpha Canopus sold by Blueys ute world. I have had two, one on my D22 & another on both my D40's (just repainted).
Have photos of it in my garage or build thread or albums in my profile.

I also have an Alpha Canopy. I purchased mine through Caddy Storage. Very happy with the canopy, excellent colour match, no leaks. My brother in law has a Carryboy canopy on his BT50 and has had problems with the windows leaking.

Latest posts

Back