Soft roaders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I really HATE driver aides. ESP, EBD, BA, Traction control - all of it shits me off, I know how to drive a car and don't need a computer doing it for me!!! However these days we have little choice really, nearly all cars have all of that.

I'm thinking probably 05-06 forester XS or XT, some raised king springs and some HD shocks, and some AT tyres. Should be reasonably good all rounder i reckon...

Hard to see much real value in the XS over the X model. I think the XS has self-levelling suspension but opinions vary on its effectiveness.

XTs are often thrashed so take a close look. The non turbo models have plenty of grunt down low for what you want to do.

Fit a good bash plate and carry a shovel and you won't have much trouble on beaches as these things have great flotation. I'd try it out before bothering with lift kits. You will need to change the tyres if it still has the stock Geolander tyres. I fitted Coopers in the stock size and they were terrific.

One thing you will find is that after market gear for the Forester is limited. Despite it being the best selling compact 4WD for years, you will have to work hard to find accessories to customise it.

Forget the XS. Go for the XT and you'll never look back. Put in an exhaust, replace the intercooler with the WRX STi intercooler, get bigger mags and tires and whoalla - you've got yourself a beast that'll smoke any V6 bogandore

I dont think he is after a tyre fryer, and besides if you need a awd to compete against a 2wd then your already behind. Just like people who go for turbo's instead of doing a bit of research and modify a n/a engine, its more fun and rewarding when you do win a race with that setup.

In my opinion and it's obviously open to criticism from those who think power is everything the XT is and always has been over priced. Sure its got a turbo and a fancy bonnet scoop but the extra dollars they add onto the price for that fancy bling don't make it a much better car.

I'm all for bling if its justifiably priced but both times I was looking at Forrestors the bling just wasn't worth it considering so much of the running gear and important bits are standard through out the models.

My old 05 XS is currently sitting on a lot for $24K (probably over priced though) and considering that as standard its been on the beach in SA and down tracks in East Gippsland that are dry weather only if the new owner goes to the further expense of raising it and putting some better tyres on it then they are still going to get out of it cheaper than a bog standard XT of the same age.

Of course if you want a plastic scoop and the self satisfaction that your Forrestor has a turbo under the bonnet then the XT is obviously for you, for me the $10K price difference when new wasn't worth it.

XS over X - i think the difference is alloy wheels and body coloured plastics. That's enough for me to buy it over an X, I hate grey plastic bumpers, and they look even worse after a few years when they're all faded

XT over XS - Yeah a turbo would be great but it's not essential to me. If one came up at a good price I might, but it's not a priority. At the end of the day I'm trying to reduce my vehicle expenses as much as possible - without driving a Prius - so the extra consumption and servicing/repair costs of the XT is not something I really want.

the misses owns a 07 grand vitara. i choose it as it had low range and locking centre diff. with a lift kit it would do very well and would be no soft roader. we got the v6 and it's a bit thirsty. we test drove the 4cyl and it was a bit gutless. the turbo diesel would be my pick but wasn't available when we were looking.

my brother used to own a forester and he took it over to fraser a few times and coped well standard.

XS over X - i think the difference is alloy wheels and body coloured plastics. That's enough for me to buy it over an X, I hate grey plastic bumpers, and they look even worse after a few years when they're all faded

XT over XS - Yeah a turbo would be great but it's not essential to me. If one came up at a good price I might, but it's not a priority. At the end of the day I'm trying to reduce my vehicle expenses as much as possible - without driving a Prius - so the extra consumption and servicing/repair costs of the XT is not something I really want.

The extra costs are an issue especially if you want Subaru to service the car. Most independents don't usually worry too much about the badges because essentially they are the same engines but as soon as you tell Subaru that its an XT the servicing costs go up about 20% and the parts list change in a similar way. But that doesn't really make Subaru much different to any other dealer.

The extra costs are an issue especially if you want Subaru to service the car. Most independents don't usually worry too much about the badges because essentially they are the same engines but as soon as you tell Subaru that its an XT the servicing costs go up about 20% and the parts list change in a similar way. But that doesn't really make Subaru much different to any other dealer.

Very true. Having worked on a few Subaru's with the boxxer turbo motors, i can understand why servicing costs are high - they are a total shit of an engine to work on. Everything is so hard to get access to. I put a new exhaust system on a WRX once, and to unbolt the old exhaust and bolt the new exhaust onto the exhaust flange of the turbo, i had to take off the intercooler, fuel rail, fuel lines etc. It was an all-day job just to replace an exhaust. What a cow!

Very true. Having worked on a few Subaru's with the boxxer turbo motors, i can understand why servicing costs are high - they are a total shit of an engine to work on. Everything is so hard to get access to. I put a new exhaust system on a WRX once, and to unbolt the old exhaust and bolt the new exhaust onto the exhaust flange of the turbo, i had to take off the intercooler, fuel rail, fuel lines etc. It was an all-day job just to replace an exhaust. What a cow!

And you are still willing to buy one, you must be a sucker for punishment :p

Id go a turbo diesel Xtrail, efficent and more then enough power to tow a trailer.

Dave.

My XS Forrestor used to tow our boat no worries and I did once drag 1200kgs of crushed rock behind it. Trailer was only rated at a 1000kgs but who really cares about technicalities on a smooth road the springs didn't bottom out.

Towing a trailer isn't often an issue, any car will tow nearly any trailer, as so many idiots on the road prove every day. Stopping those trailers is another issue though, and one which seems to be beyond some peoples mind sets.

My XS Forrestor used to tow our boat no worries and I did once drag 1200kgs of crushed rock behind it. Trailer was only rated at a 1000kgs but who really cares about technicalities on a smooth road the springs didn't bottom out.

Towing a trailer isn't often an issue, any car will tow nearly any trailer, as so many idiots on the road prove every day. Stopping those trailers is another issue though, and one which seems to be beyond some peoples mind sets.

Springs may not bottom out but be careful, i had that attitude once and a tyre burst on me, and another story i heard was because of weight the wheel bolts just sheered straight off.

Don't worry I knew I shouldn't have done it but I also knew enough not to be an idiot and do more than 30kph for the 4 ks I had to travel.

And clutches don't like it either :stop:

What's a clutch? Only manual boxes I drive these days are road rangers and you don't need a clutch in those unless you want to stop or start. I'm too lazy to ever let my daily ride have a manual box again.

God bless the soft roaders I reckon.

Am on my second one. First one was a Rav - one of the first shape brought out. Great little vehicle and went plenty of places off road. My father-in-law worked in the orestry industry in Tas for about 45 years. A couple of times when his "proper" work 4wd would be in for repair or service, he would be given a loaner of a Rav. He spoke very highly of them, and only real shortcomings he noticed in his use was the lack of gearing low enough for steep ascents.

My current soft roader is the car I bought my wife - a new ML Mercedes. It was the only dirt road capable vehicle I had for about 6 months before I bought my Navara (when I was in-between 4wd's). The Merc went plenty of places to get me to various fishing and camping locations. And all on directional, road biased 255/50R19 rubber. The traction control systems in modern soft roaders do an AMAZING job of keeping the vehicle moving when wheels lift etc.

Last edited:
Update: Took a new Jeep Patriot for a test drive today. It was fitted with a custom made (soon to be dealer-fit option) steel front bar, raised suspension and some chunkier Pirelli's. the one I took was a 2.4 petrol manual. No low range, but does have a 4WD lock switch and with the few off-road spec additions I reckon it would be a reasonably capable vehicle. Took it out past the Brisbane airport for a run on some sandy tracks, performed quite well. My only concern is that Jeep doesn't have a good name for build quality, and that was a little evident, it didn't feel overly refined - but for $29,990 + the extras, it's not bad buying really.

Unfortunately they stopped making them with the VW 2.0L turbo diesel engine, but there should be a few floating around on the near-new market.
sema_ppp_1280.jpg

Dunno if its the same model but I saw a vid of a rag top one of these out in the aussie bush a little while ago. They don't appear to be bad little buggies for a bit of bush driving

Housemate just test drove the new Honda CRV and tought it was a top little car. He thought the Jeep Patriot was a little small in the rear but lots after marktet stuff coming through. Then went for a bo-peep at the Mistubishi Challenger. Was going to be around 8k more than the CRV, but its looking the goods for them. And after looking at the Challenger myself I could be persuaded..... nah but I'll get to drive it once the housemate buys one ;-D

I personally spent a heap of time in the 06 Ravs for work. Did well on marbly gravel roads and beaches. Comfy ride. Stable base. Never felt like was out of control and enough power. Lots of plastic round the outside though

Latest posts

Back