Soft roaders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem with the CRV's for anyone who wants to go in the loose stuff is the drive system. They are not an all wheel drive. They are a front wheel drive, and when slip is detected, the vehicle responds by apportioning up to 50% of torque to the rear axle. The problem is, by the time slip is detected, you have often lost momentum and lost your chance of continuing on your way...

Interesting thing about the current crop of traction control systems....one of the mags did a test of a new Triton - the one with ESC and optional rear diff lock. Engaging the rear diff lock disables traction control. Apparently they drove one particular hill with the diff lock disengaged (traction control enabled), then tried it again with the dif lock engaged (traction control disabled). Apparently the vehicle wouldn't climb the hill the second time. I haven't seen that happen myself so can't vouch for the claim, but it wouldn't surprise me after experiencing how brilliantly an excellent traction control system behaves in my Merc.

Update: Took a new Jeep Patriot for a test drive today. It was fitted with a custom made (soon to be dealer-fit option) steel front bar, raised suspension and some chunkier Pirelli's. the one I took was a 2.4 petrol manual. No low range, but does have a 4WD lock switch and with the few off-road spec additions I reckon it would be a reasonably capable vehicle. Took it out past the Brisbane airport for a run on some sandy tracks, performed quite well. My only concern is that Jeep doesn't have a good name for build quality, and that was a little evident, it didn't feel overly refined - but for $29,990 + the extras, it's not bad buying really.

Unfortunately they stopped making them with the VW 2.0L turbo diesel engine, but there should be a few floating around on the near-new market.

WIR35, where abouts are these track near the airport?

Further update: Went back to the Jeep dealer and test drove a 12 month old Patriot with the 2.0L VW diesel engine and 6 speed VW box. Was miles better than the 2.4 petrol 5 speed, had plenty of torque in any gear, even 6th gear at 90kmh had good acceleration. At low speeds up hills it could quite easily be driven with just the clutch or very low revs, whereas the petrol needed a few herbs and ride the clutch. The gearbox itself was infinitely smoother. Fuel consumption of around 5.5-7L per 100km. I am all-but sold on it. Even though it's 12 months old, it's the same price as a new 2.4 petrol Sport, but is the Limited model, which comes with cruise control, leather, sunroof, better stereo and that sort of stuff - so well worth it in my books - it's only got 14,500kms and is in very good condition.

Then i just need to get me some chunkier tyres, mild lift, a steel front bar and I'm set (basically all the things on the one in the photo on page 4). I definately think it needs the lift and the steel bar because the standard one is a big plastic one and would easily get ripped off, and ground clearance is only around 200mm

dec0guy - just drive out Kingsford Smith drive, and keep going past the Qantas maintenance hanger. There's a few boat ramps out there and stuff, and various tracks leading off in different directions here and there.

Krafty - probably wasn't a Patriot, they only come in hard-top as far as I know.

Haven't posted for a while, but i can't help myself on this topic. My first ever car was an Suzuki lj -50 a 2 stroke 3 cylinder. I graduated onto a sierra and then eventually a brand new Vitara in 1992. Fantastic cars the suzuki's - love em. Anyway, the vitara had done almost 200k last year, all service done by myself, no issues. I had a slight problem, water leaking out of pump, could not be bothered changing, so i blew a gasket i think :-(
Anyway, cut a long story short, went to local suzuki dealer to look at new vitaras, walked past a nissan dealer by accident, rest is history.
Now, the verdict, Navara is cheaper to buy than 4 door vitara - i got mine drive away for 33k.
Navara is more economical than vitara!!! I had the 2 door soft top, but i did trash it around.
Sstill have the vitara in garage, miss is harassing me about getting rid of it, waiting for me to repair it, rego runs out in april, not sure what i will do. Prob something minor, (i doubt it, water in oil :-()
Get a diesel, get a navara :)

Bit of a late entry into this but I've just come back from a camping trip with the girlfriends Xtrail and a mates Grand Vitara. The GV has a lift kit and AT tyres and didn't get stuck once, I however bottomed out on just about every bump and got stuck regularly. The GV also has a better interior (IMO) and as mentioned low range. The GV also looks awesome with AT's on it!!

Haven't posted for a while, but i can't help myself on this topic. My first ever car was an Suzuki lj -50 a 2 stroke 3 cylinder. I graduated onto a sierra and then eventually a brand new Vitara in 1992. Fantastic cars the suzuki's - love em. Anyway, the vitara had done almost 200k last year, all service done by myself, no issues. I had a slight problem, water leaking out of pump, could not be bothered changing, so i blew a gasket i think :-(
Anyway, cut a long story short, went to local suzuki dealer to look at new vitaras, walked past a nissan dealer by accident, rest is history.
Now, the verdict, Navara is cheaper to buy than 4 door vitara - i got mine drive away for 33k.
Navara is more economical than vitara!!! I had the 2 door soft top, but i did trash it around.
Sstill have the vitara in garage, miss is harassing me about getting rid of it, waiting for me to repair it, rego runs out in april, not sure what i will do. Prob something minor, (i doubt it, water in oil :-()
Get a diesel, get a navara :)

Spot on mate. Ya know i didn't even think about that until you mentioned it

Back