Some interesting clarification on mounting on bullbars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked this bit

"Minor protrusions forward of the bull bar or bumper bar such as a spotlight, or fairleads required for the operation of a winch, where the mounting brackets do not protrude, are permitted providing the protrusion is the minimum necessary and is blunt or protected to minimise any risk of injury to vulnerable road users."

Means my driving lights are legal woohoo lol
Not that I would change them anyway lol

i always thought that if you have a 4x4 barreling down on top of you a rod holder is the least of your worries

That bit about minor protrusions being ok shows a bit of flexibility, bloody rare from a government department!

i always thought that if you have a 4x4 barreling down on top of you a rod holder is the least of your worries

Mike,
You are dead right there. Not the fact that you have over 2 1/2 tons coming at you with a bull bar on it. And let's say it was At 80 kph ... But wait we will put a caravan behind that as well. Adding another 2 tons. So now we have a combined figure of 4 1/2 tons... And someone decides to step out the front of you.....
And you can't stop in a split second...

EVERYBODY MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR ROD HOLDERS PROTRUDING,
Because some clown out there believes that they will cause more harm than what I have just stated in facts..
Sometimes I wonder about our department of transport, and just exactly how many pounds of pot they go through a month thinking this shxt up!

Cheers Geoff

YEP!GOT A V6 'BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE.

Hmmmm does this mean led lightbars on top of bullbars are legal. They are behind the bullbar and not protruding past. As long as its not impairing your view it should be legal.

Hmmmm does this mean led lightbars on top of bullbars are legal. They are behind the bullbar and not protruding past. As long as its not impairing your view it should be legal.

One would think that would be ok.

As the article states they do allow a bit.

I don't think they will be policing it too hard
As rod holders on your bull bar, protruding forward, has been a rule for many many years. And they haven't policed that real well have they.

All in all some pretty good information but. Cheers Geoff

Last edited:
In reguards to the whole rod holder VS the 2 tonne plus of weight knocking you down, "they reckon" at 40kms you can survive a bullbar hit but if the rod holder hits you, it can slice you up.

Id believe that, BUT, id be more worried about being knocked DOWN by the bullbar, then going under the tyres. I think that's a more realistic cause of death by 4WD. But hey, what do we know?

Its the same with bonnet scoops on cars, there are specific measurements to determine whats allowed, makes sense when you see the diagrams, basically, anything that could lock a head or a limb in it is banned, anything that facillitates a body to go over the bonnet and windscreen relatively freely in a collision is ok.

Hence why i gave up on the V8 scene. Too much hassle. Its great to have a 262rwkw VY SS ute, not so great to have 2 EPA notices for the dB level. Gets old real quick.

In reguards to the whole rod holder VS the 2 tonne plus of weight knocking you down, "they reckon" at 40kms you can survive a bullbar hit but if the rod holder hits you, it can slice you up. Id believe that, BUT, id be more worried about being knocked DOWN by the bullbar, then going under the tyres. I think that's a more realistic cause of death by 4WD. But hey, what do we know?

Cobez
That's the point I was trying to make.

Funny you say that, its a raised topic. They are trying to ban the 4 / 5 post bullbar due to its "sharp edges". No im not joking either.

One of the best 4wd bumper stickers I ever seen is
"Don't ban bullbars, ban stupid pedestrians"

Along with the "Run ya stick bastards" stick family one lol

Something to be considered by these government branches, considering (as others have said above already) if someones not paying attention enough to step out in front of you, bulbar or no bullbar, 4wd or motorbike, they are gonna get hurt regardless. Large motor powered objects and the human body were never meant to come off equal in a colision.

Last edited:
I had the rod holder thing explained to me by one of the pedestrian safety mob... Changed my opinion.

Consider hitting a child at a lower speed... For example in a car park. Maybe 5-10 kph.
The kid runs out from behind a car or concrete column etc. chasing a ballon or flyaway plastic bag... You are just driving at the correct speed and not doing anything wrong.

You slam on the brakes... But you can't stop in time and hit the kid.

The kids head is at roughly the same height as the top of the hoops of the Bullbar.

Under brakes the front end dips as the weight transfers forward as well... Then it springs back adding more force/impact.

A set of rod holders could seriously damage a kids face in this instance.
Take out an eye, tear open the cheek or worse case in really freakish impact puncture the temple etc.

Certainly a lot more damage could be caused with the rod holder attached, than without it.
A lot more sharp and protruding surfaces than just the profile of bent tube on the hoops.

So since this scenario was explained to me I've always been of the opinion that rod holders should only attached when carrying rods.
It takes a few minutes to take them on or off.

Might save a lot of heartache and guilt one day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back