Some interesting clarification on mounting on bullbars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make a great point MR. With all my 4wds in the past I have only put the rod holder on when using it, don't see a point having it on when not in use

I had the rod holder thing explained to me by one of the pedestrian safety mob... Changed my opinion.

Consider hitting a child at a lower speed... For example in a car park. Maybe 5-10 kph.
The kid runs out from behind a car or concrete column etc. chasing a ballon or flyaway plastic bag... You are just driving at the correct speed and not doing anything wrong.

You slam on the brakes... But you can't stop in time and hit the kid.

The kids head is at roughly the same height as the top of the hoops of the Bullbar.

Under brakes the front end dips as the weight transfers forward as well... Then it springs back adding more force/impact.

A set of rod holders could seriously damage a kids face in this instance.
Take out an eye, tear open the cheek or worse case in really freakish impact puncture the temple etc.

Certainly a lot more damage could be caused with the rod holder attached, than without it.
A lot more sharp and protruding surfaces than just the profile of bent tube on the hoops.

So since this scenario was explained to me I've always been of the opinion that rod holders should only attached when carrying rods.
It takes a few minutes to take them on or off.

Might save a lot of heartache and guilt one day.

Been involved in 5 or 6 car park pedestrian hit incidents over the 17 years I have been a firefighter, a very common occurrence in busy shopping centre car parks then what most people would think.

The Injuries sustained to most of those pedestrian's who were trapped under the standard passenger cars were in most cases worse, as you could imagine they sustained rather bad crush injuries then those hit by the 4WD's.

In the past 5 years as a rescue operator I have been to 2 such incidents involved 4wd's with Bullbars, one 4WD with fishing rod holder attached.
The person hit by the 4WD with fishing rod holder had far worse facial and upper body (chest) injuries then the pedestrian hit by the other 4wd without the fishing rod holder.

If you can imagine being dragged down and over a cheese grater, that’s what the person looked like after coming back down over the fishing rod holder.

I turn my rod holders around 180 degrees when not using them, I believe this is legal too?

Most of my rods are worth many hundreds of dollars , won't catch me using these crap things , they ruin your rods , i drove to Townsville with a couple of cheapies in one a few years back , the rods were rooted when i got there , and yes this was a $ 90.00 willson 4 pack holder

I liked this bit

"Minor protrusions forward of the bull bar or bumper bar such as a spotlight, or fairleads required for the operation of a winch, where the mounting brackets do not protrude, are permitted providing the protrusion is the minimum necessary and is blunt or protected to minimise any risk of injury to vulnerable road users."

Means my driving lights are legal woohoo lol
Not that I would change them anyway lol

So how can the cop cars have their driving lights on the bumper just on brackets? their lights stick out well foward of the vehicle, and last time i checked Glass cuts people when it shatters? just a thought on how double standard some of the rules are

So how can the cop cars have their driving lights on the bumper just on brackets? their lights stick out well foward of the vehicle, and last time i checked Glass cuts people when it shatters? just a thought on how double standard some of the rules are
Ahh, you're forgetting the age old hipocrisy... There is always one law for everyone and then there is one for those who make the laws

I have some mates who drove to Fraser thus week. He got to taree and copped a $410 fine for the rod holders on the bulbar...

Latest posts

Back