Spotties- convert to HID or purchase new in HID

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock200

Reaction score
So the question i have asked myself after doing a HID conversion on my current spotties- Is it worth while buying the halogen spotties then converting to HID to save money? My current spotties are 170mm and i converted to HID in the hope that i would be able to cheat my way out of spending 800 on some good HID lights. Ive come to the conclusion that converting my 170mm spotties to HID was a silly idea and that i need a larger reflector to take advantage of the HID's. But is it worth spending 300-400 on a larger 210-240mm halogen set and using my existing HIDs or should i just save a bit more and get a pair that are already HID?

What have people found from their experiences? Things that i think need to be considered:

-How big does the spotties need to be in order to take advantage of the longer HID bulbs?
-what wattage seems to be the best for brightness?
- Does spread and pencil work well with HID?
- How long does the HID's take to warm up on the expensive HID spotties compared to the conversion kits?

Anyones experiences with HID spotties and conversions would be appreciated! let me know your oppinions

cheers
Brock

Iv just converted my xgt's which are 240mm to 100w hid and the difference is amazing, at the moment I have one spead and one spot in blue covers but ill be changing them for to clear spread covers as the light shines plenty far anyway.

I have genuine Nissan ones/ipf 900 and converted them to hid and wow what a difference. I find it plenty for me but I will be adding a led lightbar to my roofrack when I get it all.

how do you find the XGT's onlock? im thinking about buying the halogens and transfering my 55w h1 HID's from my night stalkers into them, im tossing up between the genesis and xgt, but i am unsure on what to do, pretty expensive procedure. How long until your HID's are fully heated up guys? mine tend to take between 10-15sec

Xgts are great, look awesome, work great. They take about 10secs to warm up from cold but once hot they come on straight away so not an issue with oncoming traffic, if you want to upgrade the xgt's you will need the xgt adapter as its different from the others, same with the genesis. Dunno if the genesis would be worth the extra money but if you plan on going hid anyway might aswell just get the 240 blitz

Look up "on 4 to 2 u", thats where I got my hid kit from, 100w with the adapters for 250 bucks

Thanks for the info guys, what HID's do you have for your spotties dave? I was looking online and found that predator do a HID kit for the XGT's, ive got a mate with 100W in his and he thinks that its to bright, road signs just about blind him so im thinking the 55W will be enough. Whats peoples thoughts on 35w, 55w and 100w?

Id be going 70w min, they are available through hidrus, you can never have too much light

upgrading to spotties is going to be quite an expensive procedure! might have to save my pennies for some good ones later on, but for now i think upgrading to a 215mm spotty should make enough difference? Im considering going to a narva Taurus which is a 215mm spotty with both spread and pencil as an intermittent upgrade. I can get a pair for a tad over $200 and can always sell them down the track with the current HID's i have in them and then in the future i can sell them and upgrade to the XGT's.. Sounds fool proof?

mate i have the Thumpa Inc ones in my IPF900 lights. they are 55w 5000k colour and they are heaps bright enough. the whole kit including postage cost me $175 i think. he has a webiste or you cna pm him through this site. just search hid kits and i think his name is Matt :S someone may correct me if im wrong.

do it right the first time mate, either go the xgts and upgrade to hid later or get the narva 225's and hid them later.

Thanks for the info guys, what HID's do you have for your spotties dave? I was looking online and found that predator do a HID kit for the XGT's, ive got a mate with 100W in his and he thinks that its to bright, road signs just about blind him so im thinking the 55W will be enough. Whats peoples thoughts on 35w, 55w and 100w?

I have a ebay kit in mine. 55w.

They light up the road good.

However, kangaroo's can still appear out of nowhere. Already hit 6.

roos will always keep popping out on you, its a fact that they hide in bushes and jump out in front of cars, i heard a rumour kangaroos arent really australian. more of a paki suicide bomber thing

hahaha thats why i got the 100w plus im a sparky so i believe you can never have enough light

thats just over doing it lol. for me its is gonna end up being. HID headlights, HID spots(alreadydone), and a 32-40" led light bar mounted to the roof and another led i think 22" across the centre loop of the bullbar. thats enough light for me.

goodlucks
Rusty

that will be shitloads of light rusty, one day i hope to have a led lightbar aswell but might just save that for the patrol as that will be doing more of the night driving stuff

i knwo itll be tones of light but its nothing compared to 82000lumens lol. the only problem is i cant decide on brands and stuff fro light bars. so many good prices and ebay even has some good brands at cheapish prices. i think ill wait a lil till they come down in price.

too be honest youv gotta watch out with the ebay cheapies, even if they advertise having the cree led's in them there are 2 types, one from china and one from america, if you put the 2 side by side you will notice straight away that the american is a shipload better and will last longer too. you get what you pay for and thats why ill be looking at the rigid industries light bars. they cost allot but the build quality and light output is amazing. plus they come with a lifetime warantee.

Latest posts

Back