Stall after start up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holty35

Reaction score
My 05 d22 is stalling after start up will fire up fine then stall after then takes some cranking up to get it started again any1 no a fix or had this problem b4 to is bad on cold start and really bad on a hill park

Yeah mate I had the same problem a while back, it turned out to be air in the fuel filter. Have you changed your filter lately? Mine was a crook joint letting air in.

Some have had problems with other than genuine fuel filters not sealing.

As above - probably the filter. It's more common in the D40 which has a bloody finicky little oil seal in the middle of the filter (and aftermarket manufacturers just NEVER get it right) but if it's not in perfect it'll suck air. Filter is on the suction side, so you'll never see fuel squirting from it, but because it's higher than the fuel tank, gravity will gladly help the fuel run all the way back to the tank, leaving you with a small amount of fuel between filter & pump to start the engine, and then gobs of air to annoy you as the engine stalls again.

Test the theory: prime it. You should only be able to squeeze the primer 5-6 times before it's quite firm. If you can go longer than that you've got a leak, it's MOST likely the filter, but sometimes can be the hoses - either cracked (perished), loose or overtight (pinched).

As above, but some people have had issues with the primer bulb having cracks or holes in the diaphragm causing it to let air in... Fuel filter would be the first place to start though if you have changed it recently....

thanks for the info, I have been having the same issue with my D40, I replaced 1 filter and the problem seemed to go away, only to return some time later. It only did it on cold startup initially, but now is becoming less predictable, next time it stalls I'll try the primer bulb thing, and no the last couple of fuel filters were ( non genuine) from auto parts stores, looks like I might have to go and bend over at the stealership.

Further to my last post, I just started the Navara after it being idle for about 20 hours and it stalled after 10-15 seconds. I pumped the bulb about 15x and hey presto it started straight away, no cranking the fuel up. All hoses/ connections seem in good order so it would appear a new genuine fuel filter is the order of the day.. Would NEVER have worked that 1 out without info from this forum, Thanks..

Further to my last post, I just started the Navara after it being idle for about 20 hours and it stalled after 10-15 seconds. I pumped the bulb about 15x and hey presto it started straight away, no cranking the fuel up. All hoses/ connections seem in good order so it would appear a new genuine fuel filter is the order of the day.. Would NEVER have worked that 1 out without info from this forum, Thanks..

When you fit the new filter are you putting some diesel on the flat o-ring before screwing it on?

I am having a similar problem tonight, I changed the filter in my d22 tonight and it just will not prime up again, I didn't put diesel on my o-ring, is there a reason you say to?

I am having a similar problem tonight, I changed the filter in my d22 tonight and it just will not prime up again, I didn't put diesel on my o-ring, is there a reason you say to?

If you don't lube it, when you tighten it up it doesn't slide against the mating surfaces, it grips and distorts leaking air, then the primer pump can't draw fuel up. Do the same with the oil filter to get a good seal.

Latest posts

Back