stalling after start up and no glow plug light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally spoke to Nissan about mine, it goes in for it's 70k service in 3 weeks and they'll look at it then. I haven't had the issue since the last service, but my "trusty mechanic" replaced the fuel filter when it wasn't needed after I said I'd had these issues, so it may have been an installation error when they replaced the filter. in saying that, I've moved house and now park on flat ground. Nissan did say that there has been issues with pick up location in the fuel tanks, I don't see how that would affect it with a full tank of fuel, but then, I've never seen the setup. Will update in 3 weeks after the service

If your primer is causing you trouble it should be fairly obvious. Give the primer a number of squeezes. If you can get to 10 squeezes and it's not really firm, then there's an air leak or the primer is faulty. Watch for overtightened clamps.

I've also been having issues with stalling... a few seconds after startup.

Tonite I took this advice and tried pumping the primer.. i was able to pump it at least 10 times, and it still was not real hard to pump. It had some resistance, but I could easily pump it. There was pretty much no change in the amount of resistance. How much resistance should it have? (note: I used to have a small outboard motor board where I had to prime the fuel in a similar way - after 3 pumps of that, I found it hard to pump).

Also. I cleaned my MAFS and changed my air filter, so that's not the issue. I love a nice clean MAFS :lol:

Nah no juice Tony, the primer was dry on the outside, so potentially some leak forward of the filter?

Did any of this issues get resolved? Ive been having this problem for a fair while now, and its now happening every day and on the flat, i have it going in to be checked next week, the guys said it sounds like glow plugs may have gone. Will let you know.

Glow plugs would be fine otherwise it would not start at all.
It would be fuel. a small air leak is usually the culprit. check all your lines...

Yep I agree with Tony I'd replaced my filter 3 times and finally bit the bullet and bought a nissan one. I had the problem for over 3 months and as soon as I put a nissan filter on problem solve. I was using cooper brand ones before that.

Mine is doing the same thing but is out of Warranty, does anyone know anymore about this faulty Suction Control VALVE? I spoke to a bloke down the 4WD shop he checked my engine codes but found nothing then rang his mate who said it would be the valve.

Another likely area to check for air being sucked in is the return line both from the injectors to the injector pump and from the IP back to the tank. I had similar symptoms recently. As long as I was starting the car every day it was fine but on a couple of occasions when the car had sat for a day or 2 it started then cut out after a few seconds. I found both the aforementioned hoses were not sealing properly, I think due to them being re-used when the injector pump was replaced a couple of months ago. Replacing them seems to have fixed the problem. The line from the IP to the tank had a noticeable diesel leak as it is being pumped back to the tank under pressure. But, as tweak'e stated in another thread, the return line from the injectors to the IP will not show a fuel leak even if its letting in air as it's under suction, not pressure. I only noticed mine leaking after repeated use of the primer pump.

I recently had a prob where my Nav was hard to start. I noticed that fuel was syphoning back to the tank. I pulled the primer bubble off and found black gunk in it which was preventing the inner valves from closing. Replaced the primer and now she is running great.

I recently had a prob where my Nav was hard to start. I noticed that fuel was syphoning back to the tank. I pulled the primer bubble off and found black gunk in it which was preventing the inner valves from closing. Replaced the primer and now she is running great.

Good find, black gunk in the primer could mean black gunk in the filter, may be worth replacing soon.

Has anyone done a write up on changing/cleaning the suction control valve yet i trhink this might be my problem but i am not sure where to start also i have read somewhere on here about checking that the scv is moving while at idle where do i find it moving.

Cheers

I know how to test for a working scv....run engine at idle..find plug on the back of the scv and remove it....if it rattles like a mofo and stops when you plug it back in...the scv is functional.dont let it idle for too long in this state as it giving the injectors a shirt load of pressure!!! Hence the rattling
Reguarding cleaning it.you can run 1-2 cans of liqui moly diesel purge thru it and or remove the scv and turn it 180° and refitt it.

Cheers camo I ran the liquid moly threw it yesterday along with new Nissan fuel filter/air filter and cleaning mafs
and boost sensor so I will see if that makes any difference

Cheers camo I ran the liquid moly threw it yesterday along with new Nissan fuel filter/air filter and cleaning mafs
and boost sensor so I will see if that makes any difference

If that doesnt sort it pull the scv and rotate it 180° ive read that has good results somtimes.not as a permenant fix tho but its buys time and could confirm the issue.apart from getting to it...its a pretty simple job

Still got the rough idle so i will try cleaning and rotating the scv when i get a spare hour or two if that fails i will change all the fuel lines and see what happens

Latest posts

Back