starter motor problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seen

Reaction score
Ok guys so on Christmas day I lrt a freind drive my car and the ignition must have stuck on and I think its burnt out my starter motor because u could here it throw out but not spin any way got it home pulled the starter out cleaned it all n got it spining again but now that I put it back on the cars really hard to start any ideas I am leaning towards the starter not cranking hard enough to turn it over n the engine light is staying on now to once I get it going
Any ideas would be great dont want to go buy a new starter n its not that

The Engine light doesn't turn on if the starter motor is at fault. Sounds like a there's another issue with the car.
Check your battery terminals and your Engine earth mounts. Do you have a OBDII scan tool that you could use to pull fault codes from the ECU?

Sounds to me like your friend mistreated your car.

Nare I was in the car with her n I dont have a scan tool were can I get one from

I'd check that you have a fully charged battery as well, flat batteries can cause some erroneous errors and faults. Then I'd check terminals and earths as Karlos said.

Ok cheers guys I dont think it will be mecanical because it was fine before

if you have to crank the engine for to long to start the ute, it will throw a fault code. I'm in need of a new starter motor myself; every now and then it struggles to start and it throws a code. i normally just get the ute running, once its warm turn it off, and restart the ute, if it starts normally the fault light is gone and all is good until next time.

I did check the code with ecutalk when it happen a while back and it came back with the crank angle sensor code. There is a fair few post on here about nissan changing out the crank angle sensors to correct a starting problem to no avail. I think its just a "sympathy" code to the ute struggling to turn over fast enough. What engine do you have mate, 2.5 or 3ltr?

Were r the earth points on the engine
And whats the battery ment to run at

Battery voltage can be misleading - while it might show a decent voltage, if the battery's plates are aged it can appear to be charged but have little substance to provide a decent amount of starting power.

The 4cyl diesel engines draw somewhere around 500A to turn over. If your battery is not managing to deliver that much power, it will feel like it's struggling even though the battery "has just been charged and the charger says it's full".

The best way to try it is to borrow a known good battery and give your car a start with that. If the cranking behaviour is different, you know your battery is out. If it's the same, then you might have problems in the starter motor (eg brushes, commutator) or something as simple as the earth point on the side of the engine (follow the battery negative lead, it only goes to one place!).

So have I go this right a fault starter can create a fault code which turns my engine light on true
I am charging my battery now see how it goes if not I can use my second battery

i'd say true mate. I changed the starting solenoid on top of the motor as well in my ute and it made a difference, i still think i have a high resistance winding in the motor but. Maybe you could change yours, after you have checked the easy things like battery and earth points.

I got the solenoid from ashdown ingram townsville, pretty sure they only charged me $35 for it.

this is the exact same thing as my d22. my ignition got stuck on and i have had the same issue with cold starts and engine light on the dash. just wondering if anyone got to the bottom of the problem? thanks

Heard about the exact same thing happening, ingition stayed on and burnt out starter motor.

Wouldnt be caused by a worn key would it?

A few years back i got a new key cut, they cut it from the nissan code as the old one was worn.
Locksmith said he saved me from ignition problems as the worn key would have eventually buggered it up.

Latest posts

Back