Starting problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achimw

Reaction score
I have a 2003 3l diesel with 135000 km on it and it is very hard to start, especialy in the morning.
I only had it for 3 weeks and it spent last week with the mechanic for warranty repairs.
I thougt, it was the head gasket, but was assured, that it wasn't.
It drives allright even on the highway in fifth gear it climbs the hills quit well.
As I did not get a owners manual I just use my common sense.
I turn on the ignition and turn on the glow plug switch and wait for thirty seconds (I am in Canberra and it is cold in the morning).
Sometimes it takes me 60 seconds of intermitant cranking to start the engine. Even when just stoping for ten minutes with a warm engine, it takes 10 seconds of cranking to start the engine.:banghead:
Any suggestion ?
I am new to diesels and I allready changed the fuel and airfilter.
Thanks
Achim

Achim,

It sounds like the glow plugs may not be operational despite the light coming on. Worth having your mech check the glow plugs and system that supplies power to them.

Regards
Greg

I am taking the Navara to the mechanic on Wednesday and get him to check the glow plugs.
But that would not explain why it is hard to start after stoping for 10 minutes, like when I fill up at the patrol station and get back in the car, it still might take 10 seconds of cranking to start the car.
Thanks
Achim

I wonder then if there's a fuel pump issue, maybe it's depriming slowly? Not sure what pressures you are supposed to run, and also not sure how tolerant yours is to air inside it, if you think the glows are fine then I'd be looking at a fuel delivery issue.

If you have a very small leak inside the pump so that the fuel can drain back to the tank you'd see this. Stop for a few minutes and it's fairly quick to get the fuel back up, but overnight it could land air in the entire line and that would take a while to pump through.

If you've got a squeeze bulb for yours, give it a press. It should remain firm at all times. If you can squeeze it a few times and it doesn't get firm, then check over the pump, filter, lines, primer bulb etc.

That makes more sense to me.
When I changed the fuel filter ( I got the instruction of this site) I got the fuel priming pump nice and tight after priming and it started fine.
I just went outside to check the priming pump. The car was parked for 2 hours and I had to give it 5 pumps to get it firm.
That would mean, there is a leak or air is getting into the fuel line.
It would not be air from when I changed the fuel filter, as I havedone over a 1000 km since ?

Thanks Achim

5 pumps means you're definitely leaking air into the system. Maybe detach, clean and reattach the fuel hoses? Are they all in good condition, with no sign of any cracking in the hose?

I have to check them tomorrow, as it is t dark to check now.
I let you know tomorrow.
Thanks
Achim

The primers tend to get sad eventually.

Never had a drama with mine but can think of 6 Navara's that have had that drama.

Dave.

+1 for air leak. most likey its the filter itself or filter primer. but also check all hose connections and also be aware of the injector return thats under the rocker cover. the pipe connections are known to be a touchy in fitting them. however if its leaks air, when you use the primer it can squirt fuel into the engine oil. that will destroy your turbo and engine bearings.

+2 for air leak if your not already make sure you use genuine nissan diesel filter you will pay for it over a crap ryco but you will notice the difference and also change the 0 ring on the water sensor on the bottom of filter.If that doesn't help then check all fuel lines for any sign of leaking.

Czeslaw

Good advise Tweak'e.
I think, I just blew the turbo.
I only picked up the ute on Friday from being repaired and I was told, the injector seals were leaking and they had the rocker cover off as it had some leaks. It still did not start any better after that.
They did not even change the oil.
It's still under warranty and everything was meant to be checked.
They replace the reversing light switch on the gearbox and now, if I open a window, hot air blows
out at the handbrake opening.
I guess, I am lucky in one way that it is still under warranty.

Achim

Food for thought, the glow plug timer gets its time to glow from a coolent temp sensor, if the coolent temp sensor isn't reading right it wont glow long enough and makes it hard to start.

Dave.

mine is 2004 D22 2.5L done 205,000km
also previously having lazy starting (5-10sec)
turned out to be the starter (or is it stator) has run out of "carbon".
all solved after workshop replace the "carbon" by welding a new one.
very cheap, only equalt to USD50.00

Mate it deffinately sounds like a fuel air leak.If you prime the pump and it starts strait away that is the problam,all you have to do now is find it because if you keep krankingit over the starter motor will get to hot and the solder that holds the wire on from the solanoid breaks and there goes the starter motor.Cheers Scotty.

dave,

...dont really know what is it exactly, as they said it should be the starter
it sounded very slow & hard before (like having a weak battery)
now very smooth & fast with easy starting

did checked all, including the primer pump, battery, glow plug, etc
all is ok.
the nissan service center said it is quite common if it was driven daily with average 4-6 times cranking troughout 4-5 years.

today i am going to block the EGR, then modify the exhaust system.

am still very new to all of this mod.
but now interested to know more after the hard starting issue solved.

cheers

Latest posts

Back