Stock Alloy mags VS Steel rims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzinit

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Would you guys ( and girls ) recommend swapping out the stock alloy mags for a set of steel rims ( I'd get black ones ) purely for the sake of strength, durability and 4wd performance ( no cracking in the rougher stuff )

Any particular brands of black steel rims ?

Always though mags looked better but in this case i quite like the look of black steel rims on the Nav.

Rims are 16"

Cheers.

i was gonna sya stick with the alloys. The composition of alloy wheels has come along way from back in the day where noone would trust them. I hav eto say i wasnt the biggest fan and purchasde steelies for my rims. Found they were to heavy for the rig. increased fuel usage, car felt lazy, extra strain on driveline components etc.

so i opted back to alloys and they are very solid. the d22 alloys especially have been using the same design for 14odd years so why change it. ill be sticking ot the alloys from here on.

Rusty

Yeah.. The cons that you outlined was exactly what I read when I did a bit of research. Especially don't need extra strain on the driveline if avoidable. And your right, technology has come along way - that's why alloys are in them in the first place lol
Lucky, almost bought some steelies.

Thanks for responding.

I want a set of mickey thompson classic black alloys, they are a lightweight alloy offroad wheel, they weigh 20 pounds so about 9kgs, the stock alloys are about 13-14kgs I think, this weight reductions will be good for mileage and power.

I buckled one of my ally rims a while back and have since done 5-6k on them(wouldn't recommend if possible) and have just bought a set of second hand ally rims to replace the buckled one and the two steel spares. Point is that they hold together really well.

I want a set of mickey thompson classic black alloys, they are a lightweight alloy offroad wheel, they weigh 20 pounds so about 9kgs, the stock alloys are about 13-14kgs I think, this weight reductions will be good for mileage and power.
on a race car maybe. :rofl2:

I haven't weighed them, but it is a very noticeable difference if you pick your factory steel rim up versus a stock alloy

Yeah thought they would be. Just my 265/75 AT compared to the factory 265/70 difference in weight was a fair bit

I got 16 x 8 steelies with 32inch MTZ's and they're damn heavy compared to the stock alloy/bridgestones. If I stop in deep sand I can't get the wheels moving again without dropping into low-range.

I've been contemplating going back to the stock alloys and plasti dipping them black.

I got 16 x 8 steelies with 32inch MTZ's and they're damn heavy compared to the stock alloy/bridgestones. If I stop in deep sand I can't get the wheels moving again without dropping into low-range.

I've been contemplating going back to the stock alloys and plasti dipping them black.

Yeah that's what i wanted but not sure now.

I bit the bullet and got the MTZ's transferred onto the stock alloys yesterday. Ute drives a bit better now and I can hold higher gears at lower revs without it struggling. Also I don't know if it's my imagination but the ride doesn't feel as rough over bumps now.

With the 16x8 steelies it used to scrub a little just before I hit full lock even with the front mudflaps removed. Now that scrubbing is completely gone.

The only downside to it all is it doesn't look as good. 32's on 16x8 with the +20 offset fill the guards nicely with the tire stopping pretty much in line with the flares. Back on the stock alloys the tires stop about 3/4 inch inside the flares.

I'll try weigh one of the steel rims later if anyone is interested.

The way aftermarket and factory alloy wheel composition is going they far out weigh the steels in strength. Some brand alloys can bee beaten back into shape if damaged and some can't. For the drop in weight and better economy I will be sticking to alloy wheels. I'm done with steels and sold them not long ago. Just waiting for a secondhand set of nice aftermarket alloys to pop up on eBay or gumtree and I'll be set

interesting thread, i was considering steelies, purely for the look, but this has changed my opinion a lot, purely the weight and loss of power.

can anyone think of decent looking alloys? not wanting anything too extreme just something differnt to stockos.... i wouldnt even know what brands to start with?

Really interesting thread. I'm up for new tyres very shortly and was going to get a set of steelies while I was at it but now I'm reconsidering.

That's the reason I have factory alloys on my truck and trailer aswell as both spares . And they were cheap . :D

Latest posts

Back