Stuffed wheel stud

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaiman

Reaction score
The dealer ship tightened the wheel nuts so tight that when I got a flat at work I rounded a wheel nut so I had to drill out the wheel nut and damaged the stud so now I need to replace the stud.. Can I just get a grinder and cut the stud off hammer/punch it out and slide the new stud in or do I need to take the hub off and press a new stud in?

I don't know the d22 hub but you don't need to press it in, just slide it in, line up the spline and put a heap of washers over the stud, put the new nut on and tighten it up until it pulls through.

The hub will need to be removed to have room to slide the new stud in... Done it a couple of times now..

Cool thanks for the help guys.. Will drop into a auto parts place and pick a wheel stud.. Will give a shot tomorrow and see how I go..

Mate word of advice on a d22 never use a rattle gun,i have had to replace that many bloody studs and nuts because of idiots over tightening them,now i always tell them no rattle guns! Problem solved.

It came from the dealership like this and it only happened cos I got a flat at work.. I never ever use a rattle gun on wheels.. It's always a wheel brace when I do it..

Tyre shops use rattle guns set to the proper torque so they won't be sued which means they get it right.

They have regulations to govern them now regarding this issue. My local ones all use them rather than the braces to get it right.

What about the rear hub?? iv done the same months ago but after reading this it reminded me to fix it.

Tyre shops use rattle guns set to the proper torque so they won't be sued which means they get it right.

you can't set rattle guns to an accurate torque setting.

big stink over here some years back about it. no problem using rattle guns but nuts must now be finished with a torque wrench.
i personally had a tire crowd that could not get my tire off with their rattle gun. i only put it on with normal brace. that shows how weak their rattle guns had become. no wonder they had problems with tires falling off customers cars.

the common problem is lack of grease on the studs. with out lube they can bind or corrode the nuts on. also the binding on the thread uses some of the torque so the nut is not put on tight enough.

Latest posts

Back