stx 550 dark smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psarge

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 550, 30000ks now. Fantastic machine. Getting dark smoke every few minutes, not all the time. Sometimes when under load loses a bit of power and shoots out some dark smoke. Most of the time is an absolute powerhouse. Does anyone else have a similar problem. It cant be right as leaves a dark dusty soot on the back of the vehicle. Could this be an egr valve or a pcv. Ofcourse the dealer says all normal.
Thanks for any V6 diesel feedback.
Psarge

It can't be right if it's leaving soot on the back of the vehicle.

There are issues with the EGR valves on the 550s. Excessive EGR would dampen combustion enough to cause black smoke - Nissan have been replacing the EGR valves under warranty, but that's because the EGR valves have been failing and not only throwing the Check Engine Light, but putting the vehicle into limp mode as well. It's possible that yours hasn't failed completely.

You might get away with blocking the EGR (I don't know where the EGR is picked up on the V6 diesel) but if the dealer does eventually replace the EGR valve you'll lose the blocking plate because blocking the EGR is illegal (but very hard to detect).

Thanks all, will ring nissan today and get it booked in before it fails totally. At least I can ask them to look at it rather than get the usual oh thats normal for that vehicle. Thanks.
Psarge

[QUOTE} You might get away with blocking the EGR (I don't know where the EGR is picked up on the V6 diesel) but if the dealer does eventually replace the EGR valve you'll lose the blocking plate because blocking the EGR is illegal (but very hard to detect).[/QUOTE]

I tried blocking the EGR on mine but it would knock out the cruise control and did bring up the check engine light. I'm not the only one to have this happen. Drilling a "breather" hole does not make any difference. My advice - don't block the EGR.

Might pay to have a look at your intercooler aswell. Mine had a crack in it and started blowing a bit of smoke under load.

Diesels do not blow smoke unless there is something wrong with it, they will give a small puff of smoke if you put or foot down when under load, But! It should not last longer then 4sec.
Problems can be as simple as a dirty air cleaner, but never let anyone tell you that diesel blowing smoke is normal.

I have no knowledge of the 550 but a client of mine has one when reversing up to a trailer a stab on the gas a puff of smoke when driving nothing but he has a dp chip and exhaust .

Yeah, it what I was saying about small puff of smoke and not lasting long, all it is, is a squirt of excess fuel. The chip will just increase the normal operation a bit.

no DPF on the V6 though when I bought mine Nissan were still telling people that there was one and a 7th injector to dump fuel for the re-burn - go figure ....

I have a Dp on mine and no black smoke. If you give it a big bootfull it will puff for a second but that is all otherwise all pretty clean.

Ah Kay. All this emission stuff is crazy! I recon the dpf is a good idea if it works properly and probably safer then egr. (Clogging up the intake over time) but seriously there is too much stuff to keep track of.

I'll stick to my simple d22. Lol

All the 550's ive seen run a big ass dpf. The few that I did all the exhaust testing on originally definately had them, maybe they have changed them in later models?

they dont however run any sensors, so it is basically a passive system.
The bosses were all there for the sensors and urea injection that will be coming out sooner or later.

no DPF on the V6 though when I bought mine Nissan were still telling people that there was one and a 7th injector to dump fuel for the re-burn - go figure ....

I have a Dp on mine and no black smoke. If you give it a big bootfull it will puff for a second but that is all otherwise all pretty clean.

7th injector was for reductant for the CAT, if memory serves. There was some issue with reliably getting fuel out the exhaust stroke to the CAT because of where the turbo sat or something like that.

Ah Kay. All this emission stuff is crazy! I recon the dpf is a good idea if it works properly and probably safer then egr. (Clogging up the intake over time) but seriously there is too much stuff to keep track of.

I'll stick to my simple d22. Lol

Oh my DPF-fitted D40 has EGR as well. They threw the lot at mine!

I do have to say though that I've never had the DPF light come on while driving, although I am a fairly moderate driver and I'm well aware of what conditions need to be met for the regen to occur - so I allow that, as much as I can.

Mine also never, ever blows any smoke. It's all caught by the DPF and is burnt completely. I can't say that's not nice to have.

All the 550's ive seen run a big ass dpf. The few that I did all the exhaust testing on originally definately had them, maybe they have changed them in later models?

The bosses were all there for the sensors and urea injection that will be coming out sooner or later.

I thought the 7th injector was for reductant, which is what the AdBlue is too. Drop it on the CAT and let it do its job.

DPF filter is finer than a CAT, so pressure sensors are needed to ensure it doesn't block up.

One day every car (unleaded too) might have particulate (soot) filters. I can't say I'd miss the black smoke pouring from exhausts, as long as they get the technology right - or teach the drivers to let the tech work properly.

How does a passive system work? My understanding was that when determined by the sensors the system would dump fuel in order to burn out the DPF. If there are no sensors what happens?

I thought the 7th injector was for reductant, which is what the AdBlue is too. Drop it on the CAT and let it do its job.

DPF filter is finer than a CAT, so pressure sensors are needed to ensure it doesn't block up.

One day every car (unleaded too) might have particulate (soot) filters. I can't say I'd miss the black smoke pouring from exhausts, as long as they get the technology right - or teach the drivers to let the tech work properly.

DPF filters are significantly different to a catalytic converter.

Filter/Converter - The difference is evident in their name alone.

The DPF is similar to a CAT in that it has a honeycomb substrate type make up, but instead of being straight through, the end of the filter is a dead end and the gas/particulate matter must make two 180deg turns to exit the filter.
So its like an down, back, down and out path for the gas, with the particulates caught at the end of these turns.

Only excessive (above normal) temperature's can light off or burn up the particulate matter that accumulates inside a dpf. And even this burn off cycle has limited options before the dpf must be replaced.

Catalytic converters use a Catalyst, being Rhodium, Platinum, and other types of precious metals to cause a reaction between various gasses in order to convert them into more inert types of gasses before they leave the exhaust system.

Passive systems work by guessing when the filter needs cleaning. It has inputs from other sensors that it can use over a period of time.

This is no different to other open loop or passive type system used in diesel and petrol vehicles.

Dpf

After reading through this thread can anyone confirm if the 550 has a DPF or not I have just bought a new one and have conflicting advice some say they have as they are Spanish built. My previous D40 was Spanish built and had a DPF which blocked up and sent it into limp home mode

Latest posts

Back