stx 550 to buy or not

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefoz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and let me start by saying that i am an owner of a 2010 Triton with 60,000 clicks without a problem and before that another Triton and a Pajero so i am a happy Mitsusishi owner

The reason for the post is that the stx550 looks a pretty attractive deal at the moment and Nissan are offering some great deals so it could be time to change brands.How can you go past 170kw?

So are there any issues i should be aware of or are they are top unit?Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thefoz

Do it!, really do a search on here and you should find enough info about them, my brother inlaw has one and loves it, the auto is a little quirky but all in all a great truck!

bryan

Thanks for the input guys.I have been doing some more shopping around today but the biggest problem seems to be that no one has a demo to drive so i guess that i will have to keep looking until i find a dealer that has one.
As the saying goes you cant buy a car until you test drive it.

new ranger is meant to be pretty good to.

maybe see if you like the D40 ST as well, slightly less power but heaps heaps cheaper.

Last edited:
I must admit that i do like the Ranger but you cant get a delivery date off them.
I think thats the popwer of the 550 does it for me and as i am getting older and do more towing than 4WDriving i think a few creature comforts would be nice.

I got mine for the power.

I recently took my stx and camper bush, all I can say is I don't know what every one complains about.

I left Penrith and drove up bells line of road to the zig zag rail way. I had my 1 t camper and a mate in a 17 year old Pajero with me.

I filled up and reset the trip computer. I'm not light footed, I was lead vehicle driving. Through the steep sections I used sport mode for engine braking, a dab of the brakes every now and again kept everything just where I wanted it. A couple of times the engine didn't kick down hen I wanted it too as soon as I wanted it too, but other than that I had no complaints.

We spent a full day driving, me towing the entire time, up and down dirt tracks, some more road some more tracks. I was in 4wd the whole time on the dirt.

My fuel consumption was less than the Pajero over the weekend and on the way home I was overtaking up hill and left the Pajero for dead.

The auto is more speed sensitive than load sensitive, once you know that, knocking into manual every now and again to knock it down a gear from low rev high load situations seems to make it dance.

I'm really happy with my new STX, the power n' fuel consumption great. Have given it a work out offroad and was very happy with it for a standard truck n tyres. So can't wait to unleash the upgrades on it.
The only thing I'm unhappy about is the manual selection when in 4low and the way it up shift goin down step descents. Have but in a complaint to Nissan about it and I want it fixed.

Well guys i bit the bullet today and finally got to drive one for about 45minutes.I took it up the Mount Dandenong tourist road which is a steep little climb.
Well i could not believe how quiet,smooth and powerful it was.I am sad to say that it made my 2010 Triton a bit agriculteral.
So needless to say i spent the day running between 3 dealers to see who would get me the best deal.
I ended up with a red STX 550 with an ARB canopy,roof bars,nudge bar,snorkel,towbar and to finally cement the deal he threw in rubber floor mats,an i pod cable,slimline weathershields and slimline number plates.
about a month until delivery and i am counting down the days.

Congratulations on the purchase foz. My heart starts racing every time i see one or read about them. I am sure it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Thanks guys, i am looking forward to the delivery date.

After a day of hassling which sometimes can be half the fun the price got down to $56800 with all the extras thown in like the ARB canopy, towbar,nudge bar, and all the other bits and pieces i mentioned before.Thats drive away all up.

So tell me guys did i get a good enough deal to make me come over to the dark side after owning 5 Mitsubishis in a row?

Now considering you could have bought a Triton GLX for $29990 drive away do you realy think you got a deal. Love them 3 diamonds, i will be going back before long.

After a day of hassling which sometimes can be half the fun the price got down to $56800 with all the extras thown in like the ARB canopy, towbar,nudge bar, and all the other bits and pieces i mentioned before.Thats drive away all up.

Is that a STX or a STX 550?

No i bought the STX 550 and i thought that it was a good deal as a guy from work paid nearly $70000 about a year agoand his was stock.
I cant bag the triple diamond brand as every one of them i have owned has never let me down but even though i know the Navara cost nearly double the price of a new GLX Triton i dont think that you can compare the two.
Saying that if the Navara starts letting me down then it will be on the market ASAP as i dont want to be someone who constantly has their ride at the dealers while they scratch their head and try to solve issues.
Everyone on this site gives the 550 a big wrap so i hope that after afew months of ownership that i will be one of them.

Good price with the extras mate well done don't know about 70k that's a bit rich bear in mind you will have to upgrade suspention if you do anything serious.

I dont plan on doing any serious 4wdriving with it.If i need to do that i have motorbikes for that.
The place i travel to pretty often on the Murray river tends to flood fairly often and we launch our boats from dirt boat ramps cut into the river from the bush many years ago so i need a 4wd to do that.
The hard stuff we tackle with bikes.
Cheaper to repair and to get out if we get stuck.

Can chassis mounted sliders or steps legaly be fitted to these 550's or does it fark
with the curtain air bags?

I am glad someone asked this question about whether to buy the 550 or not. I have a 2006 D22 and and really considering buying a new 4wd in the next month or so and the 550 was top of my list for a while. Reading all the comments about the gearbox in various threads over the past few months has put me off a fair bit as whatever I buy will be going off road. Started to lean more towards the new BT-50 but reading the comments in this thread has re-ignited my interest in the 550.

Latest posts

Back