Suspension help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJK

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently running a full Ironman nitro gas 2" kit in my 2011 D22. Had it in the car since June last year and i'm not real happy with the ride, hits the smallest bumps in the road really harshly and is real bouncy and it's bugging me more and more each time I drive it.

So im looking at changing the shocks over but not real sure what to go for! Looked into the Rancho adjustable's and heard good and bad things, also had a little look at bilstein's, tough dog's and a local 4x4 store is trying to get me to put in a set of Oztech's which I had never heard about before he told me about them..

So if someone could help me out with some info on what your running and point me in the right direction as I don't wanna end up in the same boat again in 6 months time!

Cheers, Daniel.

mine has a 18 month old ironman kit in it, and it rides the same i,m guessing, i,m blaming the constant load springs i chose, the shocks are still dampening the ride just the springs take a bit to give

I fitted the same setup with performance springs (no torsions) and pretty much feel the same about my ride, it's harsh. Yeah it's better than the sagging factory suspension which had done 160,000kms but I expected a little more for the shocks. I've had Koni adjustables on my old 300zx and I thought they were the best thing ever...but very different vehicle of course. Would be interested to know how your replacements go.

When the utes all loaded up though it rides quite nicely!

I have the same problem i tow daily my trailer is about 700kg my caravan is about 1.5 tonne are the constant load that much stiffer than comfort.i don't wan't to thump around with nothing loaded ball weight on the van is about 160kg stock it has handled it what do you guys suggest i do surely the comfort springs are much better than standard im am going the efs,would appreciate anybodys ideas.

There are two different components to the suspension and while they work together, they work on different aspects of the vehicle's motion.

The springs support the weight of the vehicle and allow the axle to move up or down. There are several things about springs that affect their action. Flat springs offer little resistance to the actual impact and as the spring deflects further it resists further until the motion is stopped or the bump stops are reached. Curved springs resist the initial motion and thus provide a harsher ride (ask any Hilux driver). More leaves also provide more resistance, and multi-rate springs engage more leaves as the wheel travels upwards relative to the chassis (which could be chassis travelling down with extra weight, or a road impact pushing the wheel up).

Shock absorbers should more accurately be called "motion dampers". As the axle rises the spring pushes down, the axle falls and the spring pulls, the axle rises again - this is the 'bounce' that you see when you test your shocks by pushing down on a corner of the car. Shocks are supposed to settle that fairly quickly, by dampening the motion - a shaft inside the shock forces a valved disc through oil, the oil squeezes through the valves and this causes the motion to slow. It also causes the oil to heat up, so shocks with a good heat dissipation rate are essential for rough road travel.

So, knowing that - are you talking about excessive bounce after an impact which would mean your shocks are stuffed, or are you talking about a harsh ride, which means your springs are too firm?

Thanks for all the info.

There are two different components to the suspension and while they work together, they work on different aspects of the vehicle's motion.

The springs support the weight of the vehicle and allow the axle to move up or down. There are several things about springs that affect their action. Flat springs offer little resistance to the actual impact and as the spring deflects further it resists further until the motion is stopped or the bump stops are reached. Curved springs resist the initial motion and thus provide a harsher ride (ask any Hilux driver). More leaves also provide more resistance, and multi-rate springs engage more leaves as the wheel travels upwards relative to the chassis (which could be chassis travelling down with extra weight, or a road impact pushing the wheel up).

Shock absorbers should more accurately be called "motion dampers". As the axle rises the spring pushes down, the axle falls and the spring pulls, the axle rises again - this is the 'bounce' that you see when you test your shocks by pushing down on a corner of the car. Shocks are supposed to settle that fairly quickly, by dampening the motion - a shaft inside the shock forces a valved disc through oil, the oil squeezes through the valves and this causes the motion to slow. It also causes the oil to heat up, so shocks with a good heat dissipation rate are essential for rough road travel.

So, knowing that - are you talking about excessive bounce after an impact which would mean your shocks are stuffed, or are you talking about a harsh ride, which means your springs are too firm?

After reading all of that, i'm a little confused as to whether its my shocks or springs! Because it's bouncy and also harsh.. I rarely tow or carry a load in the back as well.

maybe give ironman a ring, they might be able to suggest wether or not you could take a single leaf out the rear each side. They suggested it when my old lux was sitting to high

Yeh i've just spoken to the guys who put the kit in originally and they said you could take out a leaf on each side but it probably wouldnt change the ride a whole lot..

Thats good info but i just wan't to know if the constant load is that much stiffer than comfort,but as i tow every day i don't want an angry wife on a trip to the beach with a few boggy boards in the back ready to go with zordo but carn't decide what to do.

I just replaced my stock spring/extended shackles with comfort load efs springs. I am impressed with the improvement in ride quality. There is less body roll and the rear end feels firmer but is definitley not harsh. I have a drawer system and canopy on the back and havn't towed with the new setup yet. I already had XGT Gold shocks and highly recommend them from TJM. I lost a bit of height in the back but nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back