Tablet in a D22 - The dodgy way

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've wanted to do a dash install with my nexus 7 ever since I bought it. But I didn't want to go to the effort of relocating my existing headunit, and I didn't really like the idea of leaving it in the car permanently.

So I did this.
http://www.cheskitech.com/2012/12/nexus-7-custom-dash-mount.html

10844866626_c67cea2f12_c.jpg

10933764595_3d828d428e_c.jpg

Excuse the average pictures, and disregard the blutack, I haven't put in my foam padding yet.

Total cost was about 3 dollars.

hey mate looks good,

I have my nexus installed it is fairly easy to do downside, you will need an audio processor to convert I originally had mine running through an Alpine CDE-136BT, trying to be smart and utilise its functions for my phone etc, and I tried both transferring audio via blue tooth and aux cable, this does work however my issues that I had to come with,
- Power I have installed a USB port inside the dash which connects directly to the nexus ( I will show photos soon (I havnt taken any)). this works well however there was some charging issues.
- power and button functions you will need to use Tasker (to write some basic code, turn off, on for blue tooth and other functions and leave the screen on. Juice was another one I used as well as screen rotation to keep the screen in position.
- Audio.. this is were the audio processor comes in and it removes the head unit. As I discovered the fun way... I have a happy (yet extremely loud) full Alpine system in my dual cab ( twin 12" subs included) but using blue tooth this does reduce the quality of the music if this isn't an issue I strongly recommend using an AUX cable to you head unit.
- Head unit install: As the glove compartment is too small leaves limited options, you can install your head deck under a seat and run cables through however this is a lot of work this is not worth it.. I had mine on a 60 degree angle and hard pressed as far as it could with the tablet in front.

The tablet mount I am currently on my Rev6.0 design and I am currently experimenting with a full PVC plate which the tablet will be cradled in. Depending how confident you are with slicing cables I recommend splitting the USB cable and hard wiring the power source this is what I will be doing on the next install....

The other issue is space restriction the tablet will fit in, however some modifications will be required inorder for the cables to sit in comfortably. if you have any questions please ask away...I will do a write on my on next install however I am currently waiting for my processor to come through...

Cheers, I actually think I'll leave it outside though.

As you said it's a bit of a stuff around to get it sorted, not impossible though by any means, I just like the idea of being able to pull it out and take it inside when I'm not using it. As most of my driving is a 5 minute trip to work and back, I really only put it in when I'm going for a weekend.

I'm just using a 90 degree 3.5mm cable for audio, with a widget for volume, along with spotify.
I'd love a giant widget though, can't seem to find one, something that takes up half the screen, volume up/down.

And as for now I'm not using any power, I was just going to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket for now with an old adapter I have. But I'll see how it chews through with GPS on.

Thanks for your reply though, post up some pics because I hadn't seen any in a d22.

My other alternative was to make a mount that fits in the DIN slot above the headunit and could tuck away, but it was just going to be more work.

Yeah understandable it looks good,
I tried to upload but it wont let me upload directly from my pictures on my computer.. I have a couple in my garage.

It shouldn't chew through too much with GPS to be honest. for the way you have it set up its practical and works, and that is the main thing.

I have the hard wire install as I love a challenge and pushing what I can do...

If you sign up for a photobucket account you can upload images directly without having to try and attach them....

Save me starting another thread.

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 and wanting to add a cradle to the nav. Hoping to find a cradle the i can screw/bolt it into the wasted space below the air vents (the card holder slash cig packet holder). Anyone got and pictures of there setup and what cradle was used.

I've seen pics in someone's garage of a mount they made for a PSP to mount in there. Looked like they got some flat bar bent to fit nicely in the hole and welded a piece of small diameter pipe to go to the actual mount...

I think the issue you will have there is the physical weight of the tablet, I can't imagine the dash will hold a lot in that area...

Good luck though if you can come up with something

I went the hole hog.....uploadfromtaptalk1392896729130.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392896794878.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392896871936.jpg

Anything can be done with a bit of determanation. Did a great tablet phone cradle also..uploadfromtaptalk1392897181912.jpg

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 and wanting to add a cradle to the nav. Hoping to find a cradle the i can screw/bolt it into the wasted space below the air vents (the card holder slash cig packet holder). Anyone got and pictures of there setup and what cradle was used.

That tab mount i made is for a note 10.1 the plastic part i got from ebay for about $14 with a bit of tinkering it can be fixed to anything!! Its a great fit for the note also.

Latest posts

Back