Tacho failing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroach

Reaction score
I've been putting up with my 'all over the place' and 'frequently sleeping' Tacho for a few years now. Apathy, lack of $, lack of knowledge & lack of critical impact have stopped me sorting a solution.

Well, today, upon inquiring about a new instrument unit I found that 1 - there weren't many around, 2 - I didn't think it was worth $300, and 3 - this is a common problem.

Searching high & low, I found a thread on another site, which highlighted this guy's problems traceable to a bodgy 'accessory relay' in the 'fuse block' of the 'main wiring harness' (M9 & M10 in the ESM).

Along the way I also discovered a function check for the instrument cluster (also featured in the ESM) Well, strangely, after running this check, my Tacho now seems to be indicating quite consistently again... and I haven't tampered with the Relay yet! No idea what the test has done, or how long that'll last!!!

The test was as simple as 1) making sure you're set to 'trip A or B' and reset to zero 2) turn off ignition 3) holding zero stalk in, turn ign back on and wait for a '000.00' to display. 4) push stalk again 'more than 3 times in 5 seconds' and all LCD characters should display. 5) push & hold zero stalk again and all gauges should come up to around half. If any don't then there's a faulty 'Unified Meter Control Unit' If all good, then you must have some sender or relay issue prior to instrument pack!

Good luck!!

G'Day mate! My beasty's a 2000 Model Series 1 D22 QD32. The instrument pack test was covered in the ESM - which I picked up from a link on this forum!

I may yet still need to replace the relay, but its better than thinking I need a new instrument pack, when it all works fine!

Back