Tarping front for water crossings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wex

Reaction score
Hey more knowledgable people than myself,

I see some people tarping up the front of their trucks before going throug water crossings. I am lead to believe that some cars as you go through water the fan can act like a propeller and pull forward then put a hole in the radiator. I have also been told some have a hydrolic override which will essesntially remove this problem. Does the D40 have this, do people really car and not worry about it or what?

not sure about the D40's fan, but I certainly can say it happens on Hilux's. Busted my radiator with the fan on Bribie going through a crossing, didn't notice and ended up blowing the head gaskets. I replaced the radiator and Toyta did the head gaskets under warrany :)

whether the fan is suitable for water crossings or not, its a good idea. minimises the water getting into spots it should anyways

Have a look at rustynav09's trip to the cape it happened to him if i recall he hade to wait a few days for a radiator and i am sure he said something about tying the fan back for a short deep crossing thereafter

There are a couple of reasons for using a wading bra, tarp or even just a good piece of shadecloth.

The first is to slow down the rate of water entering the front grille. This will cause a bow wave to be created in front of the wading bra and reducing the ingress of water into the engine bay which reduces the risk. It should go without saying that it's completely useless if you stop in the middle of the water - you need to keep moving!

The second is to prevent debris from accidentally striking through the grille and (in our D40s) puncturing the intercooler, air conditioner and even the radiator if it's big enough.

I'm not sure about any override. We've been through a freezing mountain stream with the water flowing up the bonnet and had no problems at all, and that might be due to such an override. Someone else might have to hop in and answer this one. I suspect that it's possible - the fan clutch is affected by heat, and when it's really cold the fan doesn't engage very well (it's designed that way).

And this is why you are all more knowledgable than I.

Thanks people - I think I will go and get a little canvas made to measure to keep life simple, It cant do any harm anyway so why not.

Back