The E G R valve

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of blocking my e.g.r off at the moments I have just fitted and oil catch can I'm just wondering if it is worth blocking off or to keep it on knowing that the bad vapour and dirty oil and all your residue in the engine is going into The catch can . Any idea guys thank you

My understanding of how it works is that oil catch cans catch the oil thats in the "blow by" off the top of the crank house. Where as the gas thats circulating through the EGR is exhaust gas and doesnt go anywhere near your catch can. So yes youll want to block off EGR valve.

Hi guys now the EGR valve i'm still in two minds whether to block the e.g.r valve off .what benefits do I see in blocking it off and does it do long-term damage to the engine knowing that it was designed for a certain job to do in the engine I.e. Will I notice more fuel consumption less fuel consumption more power less power X Sectra X Sector ? Thanks guys

i you get to see an inlet manifold from a diesel engine that has had an open EGR you will definetly consider blocking off your EGR.

Thanks Johnny
I've just recently had my truck (07) re mapped it's doing 200 BHP and I'm averaging 31/35 mph now did you have any warning lights come up on your Dash when you put the backing plates in did you notice any change in the engines performance Johnny thanks Jay

i think your D-40 EGR valve set up is slightly different to the D-22 EGR valve set up. waite until some of the more experienced D-40 guys are on line as they will advise you on what to do. i will say it is the best mod you have to do.

07 you shouldn't have a problem. There is still conflicting reports of later models needing a hole in the plate and others with no hole and no check engine light.

Just put a straight blank plate in there and see. If you get an engine light, drill a hole, 8mm or 10mm should be enough to keep the ecy happy if it requires it. The European ones may be set up differently to the australian ones....

^ As above - a 2007 D40 doesn't have a flow sensor in the EGR valve. Block it and you're good to go.

Blow-by is also exhaust gas but because it's coming from the sump, the diesel soot is mostly caught by the sump oil and the sump oil is vaporised from the heat (remember, blow-by is the burning diesel pushing past the piston rings) causing the oil mist that condenses in your intercooler/intake. This is also why diesel engine oil turns black quickly (and turns black even faster when your EGR valve is working). Blow-by is vented at the top of the motor through what is referred to as the Positive Crankvase Ventilation outlet - commonly known as the PCV.

So while EGR and PCV are quite separate, they are both from the exhaust and both are being fed back into the intake.

It's a little like smelling your own farts, except in the engine's case, they plumb a hose directly from the outlet to the inlet!

Thanks Tony
I've been thinking of the e.g.r valve block off for couple of months now just wanted to know for sure if it is a good thing for the engine in the long run I will keep you guys in formed

Thanks Tony
I've been thinking of the e.g.r valve block off for couple of months now just wanted to know for sure if it is a good thing for the engine in the long run I will keep you guys in formed

The only thing to worry about blocking off the EGR valve is that is illegal. There is very little to no chance of being caught but if you were, the fines are huge. In some countries like in Central and South America for instance, there is no EGR valve fitted at all with a blanking plate fitted as standard from the factory. I have seen photos of this. Although no EGR will raise exhaust gas temp slightly it would be fairly safe to say there is no long term detrimental effect on your engine longevity.
Blocking off the EGR will dramatically increase NOX but will reduce particulate emissions. The biggest benefit is reduced maintenance, mainly de-carbonizing the intake manifold. In some cases there is the added benefit of slightly better throttle response just off idle and slightly better fuel consumption returns as there is a very small gain of energy from the fuel injected as there is no dampening effect of combustion which is the intended purpose of EGR. To reduce NOX.

Last edited:
Thank you for that Sir
I've done a lot of research over the e.g.r valve over the last couple of months the last thing we all want is for our engines to malfunction in the long term I will definitely be blocking off my EGR valve next weekend

best thing you can do is get the egr block and catch can at the same time, remove the intake from the engine clean it up and refit. otherwise if you blank the the egr after lets say 100,000 kms the intake is already full of black carbon.

Thank you my friend for that great advice I've just been on Amazon I've just ordered EGR or cut-off plate ÂŁ4 i put in the catch can A couple of months ago the same time I did a oil & filter change which was about 1000 miles ago now I am getting the truck ready for France this year so hopefully everything will be ready for the big drive .

Ask whoever did your remap if they turned the egr off. If they did you won't need the blanking plate.

I think they remapped the fuel economy and engine talk I will ring them up today and find that question outs good question my friend truck Paul is a lot better I'm getting really good feel figures now 31/35mpg .

Latest posts

Back