The Fraser Setup Begins

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MjWatt

Reaction score
I've always said I will get back to fraser island again after we had to leave the island in 2010 due to bad weather and now we are heading back in October!

Last time I did it in my GU Patrol which was tricked up, this time, it's in the Nav which will be actually 1 year old on the day we are due to it the ferry (what a bday present for the car I know...)

I'm towing a 2006 Jayco Dove Outback which I think is going to be my first problem... The Nav is pretty low and I have a strange feeling I will be getting caught up on a few things, so I am now starting to investigate throwing in a lift in the next month or two, 50m seems to be a good measure going of some posts.

Dual Batteries will be installed at the same time as well as some light force to sit on the factory bar.

I was also thinking of throwing a rear locking in for added measure, but I'm not convinced as yet (now I know its not required, but hey.. what a great way to justify one lol)

Now the fun begins,

Has anyone been to fraser of late?

We are looking at going for 7 nights, maybe 3 or 4 based at Eurglong then maybe 3 based of Waddy Point? However, its been a while since I was up there and any comments are greatly welcomed :)

I was there last September for a week, staying at Yidney Rocks apartments. My nav only has a 2 inch suspension lift and I had no troubles, rear lockers arent really needed in my opinion, the LSD works fine for me

If you are worried about clearance just get some bash plates to protect your underbody if you do happen to get belly up somewhere, ironman sell a set for D22s for $242. I have been over there three times in my navara and have only just installed a new suspension this weekend gone, so new suspension isn't entirely necessary but will definitely make it more comfortable, plus I wasn't towing anything.

In saying that the stock original suspension I pulled out of my 10 year old navara was shot, no rebound in the shocks and leaf springs pretty much flat, was well overdue for replacement.

Going there again next week, cant wait! Suspension will deff help but bigger tyres would be better again, also you will be doing well to get the jayco waddy point through indian head then the climb past the champaine pools, make sure you have a second car with you. And dont be afraid of airing down both car and camper.

Cheers bryan

Cheers for the replies.

There are a few cars in our holiday so it should be ok from the second car point of view.

Last time we went we aired down the car and van and it made a huge difference, so def be doing that again

All depends how much rain we have had, the more rain before you go to the better as the sand will be more compact and you can drive with higher pressures in your tyres so you dont have to sacrifice clearance.

Maybe a better upgrade than suspension would be going up a tyre size to 265/75/16 to get extra clearance? I'd do that but I cant justify throwing away perfectly good tyres haha

You won't have any clearance issues apart from some of the creek crossings that change daily that van would be around 1t it will cause issues best to camp before indian head then explore from there.Some of the worst tracks are the inland ones we have pulled out 4 in one day just with camper trailers make sure you have an equalizer strap for your front recovery points and a long handle shovel recovery tracks are also worth their weight in gold there.

The track to kingfisher has very soft sand and huge ruts before you reach the hill there we recovered an x/trail on the chassis watch out for loose boards on the tracks and some that have become a staking hazard when your tyres are down the drunken backpackers that cannot drive the hire cars are just as bad.

one front to go!

Setup now looks like

2'Lift
Snorkel
Dual Batteries
Onboard air
Front Locker
MaxTrax

Hi I was there last week. The trip from inskip to the barge was good, take the right track and it is hard and straight to the water's edge and round to the barge. Other than that the beach was easy. Although now it is school holidays and the tracks will be soft and chewed up to buggery. Last week indian head was easily passed with trailers/boats. Was perfect weather and we caught a stack of fish. Have fun mate

I went there as a kid.before the resort was there..2 adults and 3 kids in a late 80s toyota 4runner...was a 4cyl petrol..one day ill get back there as it was a very memorable trip for a 12 yr old kid

Light bar fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 87
Hey Mate, just noticed this post!

Ive been to fraser a few times, I even have a blog about it! (and other things)

check out http://1monthonfraser.wordpress.com/

Hopefully there is some information there that will help you out. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions!

Looks well set up. Have the Max Trax on hand for easy access particularly if you have the Jayco. Also air down to 20 before you reach the soft sand at the barge and get a good bit of momentum. This bit has caught out many and is very soft. Generally the sand gets very soft when it's dry. And make sure you carry an equaliser strap for the front points if you need a snatch.
HJ

Was there 2 weeks ago.. Most driving was relatively easy. Some cuttings eg:
Indian Head and Ngkala rocks were quite soft but no real issues.
One of our vehicles fitted with bash plates ran into trouble in the soft stuff through
Ngkala and bent it down, acting like a sand anchor and had to be removed.
Max Trax or the like would be a good investment also. We ran our tyres
At 20 and had no issue, but you may want to drop yours a bit further
While towing. Always have a beer on hand for the vehicle that recovers you if you need it!

Awesome. just brought some maxtrax yesterday.

I did a similar trip towing my jayco a few years ago.. had a lifted patrol.. I think the Nav will be fine.. and alot nicer to ride.

I only got one recovery point up front, but that should get me threw.

Plan on staying near one tree rocks for 4 nights then up near catheral beach for 3 nights an do day trips from there.

Going on at Rainbow Beach and comming off @ Harvey Bay. Should be fun towing the van across the islandl lol

I am heading there on November 1 so looking forward to hearing about how you went when you get back!
Getting my Maxtrax on Friday and trying to sort some recovery points and equaliser strap for the front.

Hey all,

Back from Fraser (and my holiday) a week and a little early... Came a victem to the Indian Head bypass track and pushed the front end up braking the radiator, auto cooler and misaligning a few things (Bass plates folded like you were doing the washing and ripped straight out of the alloy bar!)

Other than that... Awesome time up on the island. Inland tracks easy as, Eli Creek was so great to float down, and Lake Mac, could spend forever there!

Hopefully back next year!

Now for the upgrade list... Stronger Underbody protection

Latest posts

Back