Thick black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40NAVY

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've sold my D40 unfourtnetly now the guy who's bought it claims there to be black smoke bellowing out when under heavy head. It's got the egr block, performance chip upgraded intercooler, and snorkelšŸ˜ wonder what can it be? It's just had a full head rebuild new valves and chain been times right. He says the timing chain has come loose and through the timing out. What could it be any ideas?

Sounds like its over fueling. MAFS, injector(s), ecu reset could be all it needs. I dont think it would run very well if at all if timing was wrong. Any codes coming up? Perhaps rail pressure is to high from chip and its stuffed an injector or maybe the chip is malfunctioning?

Was it not running properly when you sold it? you wouldn't know what he has done since and trying to find the issue is his responsibility. But as usual the chip is what the normal suspect is, has he upped the chip himself and now got issues???.

As above.

First question to ask: does it idle nicely? If so, the timing chain's probably fine, as is the timing of the camshafts. It's also going to be delivering fuel MOSTLY properly. The chip may/will change that as the throttle is depressed, but that's a different issue to timing. Good idle usually means all is probably ok with the chains.

Then I'd ask what it does when the chip is turned off. It shouldn't blow much smoke at all. If it does blow a lot of smoke with the chip off, it's probably under-airing. That could be MAFS (does it have a K&N filter?), it could be turbo (bearings, vac lines, vac solenoid, vanes). K&N filters need to be LIGHTLY oiled, not bathed and hung out on the intake to dry.

And of course if it blows heaps of black smoke with the chip on (and it never used to at that setting) then suspect the same as the previous paragraph, but not as severe (so a slight vac leak, or mild dirt on the MAFS etc).

First thing to check is boost level.

Just this week gone I have replaced 3 boost control solenoid's in D40's.
Week prior I did 2.

If the timing chain had come loose, he would be pushing the car... Not complaining of excessive smoke.

Tell the guy to grow a pair and get the problem diagnosed from his local mechanic.

Call me a harsh prick but...

If there is something wrong with my car I fix it before I choose to sell it.

If there are niggly little things I inform the buyer in good faith.

If there is nothing wrong with it that I know of or I have fixed it and to my knowledge it is in good running order and the sale of the car goes through it is no longer my car to worry about.

Just the same as if I buy a car and the radiator shits itself and the ignition barrel (stupid weak BMW security crap) ceases bothe within a month of buying the car (yes it happened!) I suck it up, pick myself up and say "oh well shit happens, tits and tyres!" and get on with life.

Not saying you sold this bloke a lemon... What I am saying is if this blokes bought the car and something that you never had a problem with is giving him dramas, tough titties!

^^what DieselTuner said!

Latest posts

Back