Thump noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt c

Reaction score
Hey guys still having some thumps noises coming out of the front suspension, my shocks were stuffed so I thought that was the problem they have since been replaced and the noise is still there, it only happens when driving on rough tracks I thought the shocks might be topping out but wasn't fully sure as I haven't wound the torsion bars up to the max either any thoughts

Hi Matt. Check your bump stop clearance top and bottom. If you have a small clearance between the bottom control arm and the bump stop it could be that. You will find that when you are hitting dips and bumps that the bump stop is making contact. This will give you a horrible ride that's for sure.

Cheers, Brad.

Thanks fellas ill have a look at both those see what I can find my local suspension place thought there was enough room between the bump stops so might be the other

Matt you should be able to see if it's been hitting on the bump stops there should be a tell tale fresh mark where it has been hitting. Ideally you should have the same clearance between the upper and lower. about half way.

Every thing looks fine there is wear where the top bump stop has touched but I have since dropped the torsion bars I think the gap between both bump stop is pretty even I am missing the lower stop on the drivers side would this affect anything?

Yes! did you say the suspension place looked and found no problem?. I would say it's metal on metal, if they missed a bump stop not being there you know what to do.

No I say it has come out since that but i only realised today when I got underneath. I'm pretty new in to 4wd but if the torsion bars are wound up to sensible height shouldn't it not either bump stop ?

what weight are you carrying over front end?
std torsion bars are not heavy enough if you have a steel bar and or winch or 2nd battery ect
torsion bar front ends are effective and reliable and quite strong but unfortunately are a pain in the arse to get "right" IMO
cheers

Last edited:
I have upgraded the torsion bars and I have steel bull bar 2 most navaras I see are probably wound up more then mine so sort of left me a bit stumped what the problem actually is

You will need a bigger gap between the bottom bump stop to the control arm than the top. 15-20mm to the top is enough. The extra weight from the bar will give you more movement in the front end.

image-3314108380.jpg

Different upper control arms but this will give some idea of gaps.

Winding up only makes your offroad ability worse when flexing and needing that little more height it will hamper you in tighter tracks when downward travel is desirable. as we all know ifs has it's limits, particularly without a locker in tighter area's. Have a look at cal or superior uca's.

I have a fairly loud creak in my suspension that's only there when 4x4ing, I think its normal for a D22 to creak a little, iv had all suspension upgraded and bushes seem fine I cant source the location but the ute doesn't seem to have issues when I hear it.

It only seems to happen going up a steep track when the trucks bouncing around a bit on loose rocks but I can flog it over a speed bump and can't get it to make the noise could it be a cv ?

Have you checked your front wheel bearings. Jack up the front end and see if you have any play. If you have a stuffed bearing it could show itself once the weight is of it while climbing.
Just a thought.

Cheers, Brad.

Thanks fellas my mechanic reckoned the bearings were ok but I will have a look my self

Latest posts

Back