timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ST and it has just done 19000 km and when I start it on a very cold morning the rattle is terrible to such an extent that a chap standing on the street I passed mentioned it. Coming up for 20000 service and better see what they say.

I have an ST and it has just done 19000 km and when I start it on a very cold morning the rattle is terrible to such an extent that a chap standing on the street I passed mentioned it. Coming up for 20000 service and better see what they say.

It's probably injector noise, CRD can have a good old rattle when they are cold.
The injectors can fire more than once per combustion cycle, resulting in a lot of noise. Best get it checked out anyway as I'm only guessing!

Last edited:
Finally got the Nav back after a little over three weeks.

As I mentioned they replaced the timing chain which Nissan came to the party with. They replaced the main chain, a sprocket and two tensioners. Was going to cost me $2,000. When I asked them if this will happen again they said they now use a different chain altogether, including different part number.

That was the good news. Bad news is that it wasn't the chain making the car not run. The injector pump was stuffed. I had that reconditioned and a new rail put in, cost me a little over three and a half grand. Now that the car is running again I can say the timing does sound much better and no slapping. The truck is running better than ever. Once I replace the original clutch it should be as good as new.

Jase.

i have a 100,000km 07 d40 stx and i think i have this noise
:p
its on start up and idling or coasting along.

i thought it was worn serp/ power steering belts but sound still there... asked if belt etc but said chain...

its like a spot on the chain goes past... hard to explain... like work belt... one rub noise per rotation etc... is this similar to what you guys have heard?? cheers

i wouldent buy the extended warenty myself but only because i do everything my self and only pay trade for parts but thats me. in my forester the the hydrolic tensioner for the timing chain colapsed and my cam wheels jumped a few teeth lucky no valve dammage still dont understand that as a mate who is a subaru mechanic first told me that there was going to be bent valves. all i did was installed a new tensioner and timing belt and never had issues. whith your d40 i would replace the timing chain at 100 000 regardless of what your dealer says and i know its deer but if you want insurance rerplace your tensioner. all you need is for a bearing in your tensioner to fail and that could cost big. for my subaru the tensioner was $300 and easy to do when i was doing doing the timing belt.most mechanics dont do the tensioner when they do a belt due to cost but id rather be safe then sorry. if you stick to that you should never have a problem

After all the years (over30) pulling engines (all makes) apart for repair,
the ones that needed attention to the area of timing chains, I've not seen a actual chain failure, (broken O/H cams yes),
but many tensioner failures,
and not all are old engines, some fairly low on K's.
Chains do stretch, but not to worry the everyday vehicle.
I can undeniably say that tensioners are a problem BUT are not only confined the the nissan engine.

On the other hand, for all you guys with engine rattles, talk to the guys here that swear by using 2stroke oil in their fuel,
they have NO MORE rattles.:big_smile:

I was wandering, how can hear a stretched timing chain over all the injector rattle?

chains dont make a rattle as such but rather make a grinding sound as due to the tensioner being loose or broken ,
and the chain is wearing out some other engine part, ie the timing case.

The rattle sounds more like the 2nd stage of the injector coming in, Toyota have the problem as well , Mine has been like this since it was 45k old and Nissan wouldn't do anything about ""Oh But Sir the noise is within normal operating specs"" normal my A$$ they just don't want to cough up - as the are all to aware of the problem at hand , mine has done 125k now and I just dont care about the noise anymore its there and thats that

Try this one to see if it is the injectors or not

Do a cold start - warm it up 1/2 way
Turn it off and go and have a cuppa (10mins or so)
come back out and go for a test drive

I'll bet you the noise will be all but gone

Marty

I've scanned through all the threads and only found one reference to a timing chain problem. On other forums I'm reading that this is a consistent problem (and around a $14,000 fix in the worst scenario).

Does anyone have any better information about the incidence of this trouble?

I'm just contemplating an offer from Nissan to extend my factory warranty for an additional 3 years and up to 150,000ks (mine is 3 yo in March with$70,000ks now). The 3 year option is $1114 and it isn't mandatory to have it serviced at a Nissan Dealership either before or during this extended period. Seems like a pretty good bit of insurance to me.

Any thoughts...
Cheers
Knighty

Hi,
I had my Stretched Timming Chain Replaced under Nissan warranty at 90,000kms. My D40 was overheating under contast acceleration ie up hill, and then Purchased the extended warranty which I have used for oil leaks and a break down, the extended warranty also covers Roadside assist.
With the luck I've had with my D40 the Warranty was worth the money.
Any other questions just ask.
Cheers
Brad.

Ok a follow up on my previous post.

Once we got into the nitty gritty of what to do with the extensive damage to my motor, I was looking at $8000 in part(minimum) as well as a tow truck ride to Nissan as it requires special tooling to hold the twin balance bars below the crank in situ also. Add about 20-30 hrs of labour and the like and it was getting real expensive real fast...

Ended up putting a 2nd hand motor in for all up cost just on $10K, then a quick trip to the local toyota dealer for a new prado..... all said and done $50k for the week! Need to get cranking on my overtime to pay for it now! The new motor only had 40k(apparently) on it, and was also staring the morning death rattle for the 10 days I had it too.

Quite upset at my experience, and will not go back to Nissan again. I understand that all cars experience some failure, but the design and cost of this would mean that I could not sleep at night if I still had it. A real shame as the truck was other wise awsome, and I am missing the power and handling already in comparison to the Toyota. I hope it works out for the rest of you guys,

Three yrs and one month/150,000kms is what we got for our 45k.
The timing chain has let go and totalled the motor, $12000-$14000 to repair.
Not being a petrol head I spoke to servicers to question if timing belt had been replaced at 100,000kms as per handbook, they explained handbook is generic and D40 has a chain not belt that is not part of service schedule as it shouldn't let go.
From what I have read since it seems to be an issue that should be acknowedged by Nissan.
We were otherwise very happy with it.

My D40 is in for the 80,000 Km service now, and i told them about a loud rattle in the motor went cold. 3 hours later service team phone me , the timing chain needs to be replace now. And will be covered under nissan warranty.

I've scanned through all the threads and only found one reference to a timing chain problem. On other forums I'm reading that this is a consistent problem (and around a $14,000 fix in the worst scenario).

Does anyone have any better information about the incidence of this trouble?

I'm just contemplating an offer from Nissan to extend my factory warranty for an additional 3 years and up to 150,000ks (mine is 3 yo in March with$70,000ks now). The 3 year option is $1114 and it isn't mandatory to have it serviced at a Nissan Dealership either before or during this extended period. Seems like a pretty good bit of insurance to me.

Any thoughts...
Cheers
Knighty

Knightly good timing I have just picked my D40 up today from a 40k service and also some warranty work.

I had the timing chain replaced and the injectors replaced all under warranty I have 40'000klm on my car and it is 2 years old. It is serviced every 10'000klm. I had also heard and read a number of reports about timing chains apparently it is one of the auto adjusters that fail. I started the car about 2 months ago got out straight way to get something and heard a rattle coming from front of engine. So didn't think much about it untill a couple of weeks ago when my car started to feel like I was driving over a cattle grid, at idle, in drive, no acelaration. I also noticed the engine was hunting a bit and has felt a little sluggish. Anyway took it into Morrooka Nissan in Brisbane for someone to drive it and to book in for service. The foreman after about a minute said it may be pump of injectors. I asked him to also listen to timing chain and he said he could also here rattle. Anyway got car back to day and it is remarkably different then a couple of days ago. Much quiter and nicer to drive no cattle grid feel has gone totally and I have a new timing chain and 4 new injectors all under warranty. The foreman said he had only had one other with injector problem and maybe 4 to 5 timing chain problems. These guys are really good to deal with for a dealership. So it yes it can happen. As for warranty go for it. My dads manual D40 Navara has just had a new engine fitted (under warranty) after 70'000klm (Oil pump spun on it self) Again the foreman from this dealership (Rockhampton had only had one other D40 with oil pump problem) Dad has bought the warranty and I will to when mine is due just to make sure.

71DJP

so is this a problem for d40,s only ??
d22,s have same 2.5 engine with a different head,turbo ect
have any d22 owners had timing chain issues
cheers

have any d22 owners had timing chain issues
cheers

none here that i can recall.

has to be a dodgy chain, this has got to b the first engine I've seen do a chain with such low k's, infact I've not seen it before.
Stretched yes, but not broken, not on small/big engines, bikes any engine...do a recall nissan.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the chain tensioner, my D40 has done 89,000 and just over 3 years old by 10 weeks and my timing chain has snapped causing all hell in the engine which my mechanic has said will cost major thousand dollars to repair but said to try nissan for warranty seeing that i took it to them complaining of the taooet type noise which they found my alternator was faulty but said the noise was the typical d40 engine noise now i'm prepairing for a huge bun fight.

G'day all, first post. Great site.
Can chains stretch?
Jase.

Chains do stretch. Hence the reason Motorbikes have to adjust their drive chains all the time and are recommended to check them every 1000km or so. Naturally a drive chain is under more load than a timing chain, but the principal is the same. One end is being pulled and the other end is being dragged causing a constant stretching effect between the 2 sections. The one major weakness that chains have is that the first link to stretch instantly becomes the weaker link, so this link will stretch more that the other links for the life of the chain. What this does is give uneven stretch meaning as the tensioners reach their limits the chain will begin to flop after a while as it spins, causing it to go tight, loose, tight, loose.... In extreme cases this can cause a noise like sanding a piece of wood with 60grit and will cause vibration that will damage associated parts such as bearings etc. Timing chains are expensive to replace due to the labour, but if your mechanic is seeing signs of wear then it is relatively cheap to replace once as opposed to the damage they can cause to your motor if they snap .

Latest posts

Back