To SAS or Not To SAS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

I am bumping this thread - is it really that much will it cost? 10-15K to do the conversion?
is this because of a lot of custom pieces? what running gears will be involved? and is this amount because it will be done by someone else ie: shop, because cannot DIY?

I am planning to SAS mine, with the help of my mates a mechanic, welder and an engineer down near our place in picton.

We are planning to use a GQ rolling chassis to do the swap - of course we will source a wrecking GQ and from our research we can use a transfer case from a 2.8

any other thoughts? please comment if we are doing the wrong thing or if we are in the right track, please share what you know.

thanks!

Have a talk with the Cari from "SELDOM SEEN" in Picton, he has done a stack of SAS jobs on Hilux's and they are one of the very few that have completed a D40 with everything working as it should. Beno a member on this forum had his D40 done there and its all working like a treat and the work they do is top notch.

Ask yourself if its really worth pumping $30,000 extra into a vehicle.

You'll never get it back from selling it.

I have spoken with a few guys that have done it and One company that has actually done a fair few fit outs and none of them spent or charged any where near $30k, in most cases it has been more then half of that figure if you run Patrol diffs as apposed to "BUDS" diff housings ect.

And IMO if people do go with the SAS they dont really expect to get there money back, who ever spends money on cars and expects to get there money back really??

Dave its just the same as us buying NEW utes, We are NEVER going to get our money back.

Oh and GQ,GU transfer's are all the same.

The RB30S and RD28T/ETi transfer's have a lip for the different gearbox.

^ Indeed.

$15,000 will get you a TB45E powered GU Patrol too.

Bulletproof engine, already engineered too.

Even if you drive em, brake em, and fix em for 10 years it still wont cost you 30k

Buy a GQ - $7K
Body lift - $300
2" lift - $1500
Lockers f+r - $4K
Tyres - $1500

That's $14,300, prices will go and up down of course, but that's not a bad ball park figure, even if it's a few $k more you're still going to end up with a truck someone will buy.

Everyone would like to SAS their Nav, but if you had the chance to buy one already SAS'd, would you? I'd be very wary?

Back