Towing with D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomostruck

Reaction score
Team, I have a D22 ST-R 2.5 litre diesel nissan navara dual cab, we have purchased a 17foot caravan weight is 1500kg empth with max load 1800kg. Will the D22 handle it or should I go for a larger capicity motor like the D-40.D22 is rated to tow 2800kg with brakes. D22 doesnt appear to have a lot of high end torque. I dont want to spend money setting it up to find that its not suitable for the job

It will do it. 96kW up front won't have you winning Bathurst with the caravan on the back but you'd be hard-pressed to be in the top-10 shootout in a D40 too.

The other consideration is comfort for long distances. The D22 seats aren't the best for long journeys - the good news is that you can fit D40 seats or Hilux SR5 seats in (the Lux seats might need modification).

The D22 has a single mass flywheel - which many might not follow because flywheels are just big hunks of solid metal - well, not any more. The D40 manual has a "dual mass flywheel". The clutch face is mounted on springs designed to absorb the small variations in rotational speed that you get in a 4cyl high compression engine. Unfortunately the thin clutch face doesn't dissipate heat very well and when under loads (eg reversing a caravan up an incline, or pulling a boat up a boat ramp) the flywheel overheats and cooks the clutch. The D22 doesn't have it - so no problems with that. If you consider a D40, consider adding a single mass flywheel plus Exedy HD clutch to your purchase or go the auto.

They did, because there were just too many failures that was costing Nissan a mint. Burning the clutch out in under 30,000km ... still well within the warranty period, and the cars were being used within specifications (not exceeding GVM or GCM).

Nissan might go DMF again one day, but maybe not in a vehicle that has a GCM of near 6T.

every d40 at least spain ones have Dual Mass Flywheel as standart, but around here when it fails, and it fails pretty quick Nissan itself uses Single Mass Flywheel to take the faulty part out.

I have tried searching the forum but found no one actually stating they had fitted them without problems, just people saying, "some people fitted D40 seats to D22s apparently they bolt in". Looks like someone said it and then lots of other just accepted it without actually knowing haha.

If someone can point me to the right thread Id be very thankful.

What is your towball weight for the caravan.
Also brand and model if you don't mind.

The D22 will have no trouble pulling it and will easily do the steep hills, where you'll be faster than heavy trucks, so don't get caught behind one.

1,500kg is the weight of our off road camper trailer and we've never had any problems.

Our problem is with four batteries, heavy spare wheel, fire pit and bits box on the A frame loaded up for two months away, the tow ball weight is 165kg, which makes the back end sag.
Okay, the set of drawers in the tub made from 19mm ply don't help as well.

After the first long trip(2011), Ultimate suspension (Ingleburn) gave us a price of <$3,000 to beef it up. No lift included.

I can not comment on the waggle from wind as the camper trailer tucks in very nicely and it is easy for Stirleen Moss to hit and sustain 110kms on the open flat highway when she is in the mood. Chilling watching the fuel needle trying to emulate the passing scenery.

Latest posts

Back