tradie etiquette

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i get work done, the tradie or subie is nice, on time and not arrogant, then coffee, ect is essential. If they are late(without ringing up) and do a shit job/arrogant then they get nothing. Don't forget we pay for their services.

And if the job is done to a high standard, there is always a beer or two waiting in the beer fridge for knock off.

Brett

When I was out on the tools, I hated working on people's houses, especially when they were home. I just seemed to focus better on the task when the owners weren't there, plus I was used to working on new construction projects so for 95% of my jobs there was no owner as such (yet). I was quite happy for them to stay inside or do whatever they had to do, kept them out of my hair. As long as they paid their bills on time who cares right?

I have noticed though, since progressing into the engineering consultancy field, I get so much more respect from people than I did as a tradesman. It's really quite disgusting the way that people treat tradesmen as a lower class of people then certain other professions. I used to do a lot of retail fitout work (electrical) and sometimes I would have to go back to a shop after it was finished to do something, and the snotty girls behind the counter (especially in shops like Mimco, Guess, Hugo Boss etc) would treat you like absolute dirt, I felt like saying "honey, I earn more in an hour than you do in your whole pathetic day of selling this useless shit so you can be as much of a bitch to me as you like, I'm the one laughing..."

That being said, a lot of tradesmen bring down the rest of us, by acting totally unprofessional, dressing like a slob, doing shit work, using bad/dumb language around customers etc etc. I got pretty disillusioned by the whole "tradie" term, it has basically stereo-typed every tradesman as a dirty, slobby, pie-eating half-a-brain - which I know for a fact most of us are not.

jayk your local sa, what do you do?

ive got a jims mowin business grumpy. we do all the usual mowing, but a lot of bigger landscaping and gardening jobs too (our specialty). we usualy find that people that work hard, or have worked hard for their coin appreciate us more. !

When I was out on the tools, I hated working on people's houses, especially when they were home. I just seemed to focus better on the task when the owners weren't there, plus I was used to working on new construction projects so for 95% of my jobs there was no owner as such (yet). I was quite happy for them to stay inside or do whatever they had to do, kept them out of my hair. As long as they paid their bills on time who cares right?

I have noticed though, since progressing into the engineering consultancy field, I get so much more respect from people than I did as a tradesman. It's really quite disgusting the way that people treat tradesmen as a lower class of people then certain other professions. I used to do a lot of retail fitout work (electrical) and sometimes I would have to go back to a shop after it was finished to do something, and the snotty girls behind the counter (especially in shops like Mimco, Guess, Hugo Boss etc) would treat you like absolute dirt, I felt like saying "honey, I earn more in an hour than you do in your whole pathetic day of selling this useless shit so you can be as much of a bitch to me as you like, I'm the one laughing..."

That being said, a lot of tradesmen bring down the rest of us, by acting totally unprofessional, dressing like a slob, doing shit work, using bad/dumb language around customers etc etc. I got pretty disillusioned by the whole "tradie" term, it has basically stereo-typed every tradesman as a dirty, slobby, pie-eating half-a-brain - which I know for a fact most of us are not.

agree with the respect factor toby.
i used to own a subway restaurant, and then a pizza bar. i got heeps more street cred when people asked what i did and i told them that.
when they ask me now and i tell them, i feel like a second class citizen sometimes (my bad ego iknow!), but it pisses me off still. they dont realise that i make heaps more now, or that i have 4 guys workin for me. their bad i guess.
grumpy and other self employed fellas it takes balls and courage to go out on ur own, and we do often make more coin, so its their bad if they show you a lack of respect. its hard to see but its almost a bonus because you can see what people are realy like to you. its like they films you watch growing up ... ur always rootin for the nerds, and are happy when they get ahead. thing is when ya go to school the next day u still pick on them!

I like to play with car salesmen by going in there dressed in the fluro work gear I have leftover from my trades days, they would not even look at me. Then I go in dressed in my business shirt & trousers that I wear for work these days and BOOM, barely walk in the door and they're all over me like a rash. Promptly tell them I'm just looking, but I was in here the other day in my dirty work clothes and no one was very interested in selling cars to me that day - so I went and bought an "X-brand" car instead. The look on their face is priceless

wires that has happened twice to me now by my local toyota dealer and to my boss and a chippy i know. so all up they have lost around $170k because they were rude and didnt take us seriously. best part was salesman rang up a week later to see if wew were serious about buying and the sound of his voice when he heard we went else where was pricless.

lets put a twist on things here..
how many tradies go to a job and have the parents let their kid out to annoy the shit out of us,get too close to the 9 1/4 inch makita while im cutting with it...possibly get saw dust in their eyes,slow me down coz i constantly have to check where the kid is..
or they dont lock the dog away and expect me to close the gate every time i carry a 6mtr length of timber thru...its a bit bloody hard to reach the gate when your ballancing a piece of 6mtr timber on your shoulder,which puts the gate 3 mtrs from reach...Freakn morons some of them....and they have the nerv to whinge about the tradie.... give me a break...

oh and not to mention dog shit all over the back yard...
i have driven away from a job and not returned because of the stink of the dog shit..
and that was at the back of a milkbar,....
so if someone whinges cos im late and didnt ring,they can go and get #$%^&*

That's not just a tradies issue, we used to suffer that sort of crap weekly doing party hire. Turn up to put the marquee up and there is shit all over the yard, the yard isn't as big as they said it was, they bitch because there is a truck in their driveway, they bitch because the tie downs have to go in their garden. Then on the day it all comes down there is beer cans and spilt drinks everywhere, food scraps, the marquees are covered in drinks and food, the people just want the stuff out of their yard asap and they hassle the workers until it's done, then spend all their time bitching to anyone who will listen about how things weren't up to scratch with the hire.

On the upside we had a few good people who'd offer us drinks through out the set up and pull down and beer after each job was complete which did make it a little better.

that would have been a great party for the guests... stomping all over dog turds...how rank are some people...

Well without picking on anyone and being labeled racist the absolute worst for it in both places I did party hire was Western Sydney suburbs. I worked around Richmond, South Yarra, and Toorak and in Melbourne (as well as other areas) and some of them were pigs but Wetherill Park and Fairfield in Sydney really took the cake for pigs who didn't seem to care.

We used to do the Lone Wolf motorcycle club annual Tattoo mag piss up and even those guys left things cleaner and less damaged that some of the rotten bastards we had to deal with every other weekend.

good comments fellas !
i feel better that im not the only one putting up with (dog) crap from customers thinking they are better than me. it seems that arrogance is rife throughout the more 'affluent' suburbs, i reckon id give their 'superior' pay packets a run for their money.
i vote for a national tradie day, where we get recognised for keeping this beautiful country running and looking the way it does!

You know what really gives me the shits? School teachers who either look down on tradespeople, or look down on students who want to be tradespeople. My school teachers were like that to me, even though I was better as maths than my maths teacher and better at spelling and grammar than my english teacher.

Who the F**K are they to pass judgement? What's the OP required to get into teaching at uni these days, 18 or something? Funny thing is I would have been earning more than my teachers by the time I was a 3rd or 4th year apprentice (and I didn't have to deal with teenagers every day).

I'm hearing you Toby!
My daughter had to drop a subject at school to accomodate her TAFE course and the Head of Department gave her grief over dropping an OP subject. If the stupid HOD had known her stuff she would have realised that the TAFE course continues on after Year 12 so the OP isn't worth a piece of crap any way. My girl can do like me and get automatic acceptance when she's ready, on her terms, if she wants.
Also as a Tradie who is now a TAFE teacher it always pisses me off when during skills expos the teacher try to herd the students away from the trades into the uni information sessions. I just ask the student whether in 4 years they want a $20 000 hecs debt or want to be making $40000 +/ year .
Not everyone is destined to go to uni and also not all of those are tradie material either.

That's exactly right. And even if you do a trade and decide later that you want to go to uni, your high school results don't count for all that much anyway, unless you want to do medicine or advanced sciences.

I know just as many people who have started uni and dropped out to do a trade as people who have actually finished uni. I don't know all that many people who have moved out of doing a trade to go back to uni (with the exception of myself...)

You know what really gives me the shits? School teachers who either look down on tradespeople,

Awe come on give the teachers a break, their lives are so dull and boring that they don't like to see others actually have ambition. I've got several teachers in my family and they are all the same, they bitch about not being paid enough, they bitch about more time off, they bitch about having to put up with other parents little shits. I'm sure all that's in the job description, the average tradie didn't get a job description that says it's part of the job to stand in dog shit, trip over kids and be as quite as possible.

Agreed. If I hear another teacher whinge about low pay and high stress I am going to lose it at them. Cry me a f*cking river, how about you come visit the real world where we all have budgets and deadlines to meet, have to work 50 weeks out of the year instead of 40-odd, and work 8-12 hour days, and actually have to perform well to keep our jobs. i have never, ever heard of a teacher being given the sack for anything less than serious misconduct. Some of my teachers were hopeless, bordering on retarded, and they stayed in their job for 20 years, no questions asked.

Of course, there are brilliant teachers who do the job because they are passionate about it, work their arses off and spend every night doing prep for their classes, but I would say without a doubt they are in the small minority

The annoying thing I found with teachers at school was that it was the trades teachers who seemed to give more of a shit than the compulsory subject teachers. If they have to make certain subjects compulsory then having them taught by someone just there to pick up a pay cheque is a waste of time. Where as teachers like my auto teacher where brilliant, they gave a shit, they helped students and they were friends with students. To this day I still see my old auto teacher occasionally and he still remembers me and we can still buy each other a beer if we are in the pub. where as the other teachers I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

You may be lucky to find teachers like your old auto teacher any more in schools.

Practical experience is definitely not a selection criteria in NSW schools. Also, all the technical subjects are tnow taught by kids with no real working experience. When I was going to old farts welding school, there was a continual stweam coming in to learn how to do basic welding, just enough to do A project, then they would piss off.

Latest posts

Back