Transmission holding gear too long?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
Our 2011 R51 ‘Navara Wagon’ automatic seems to be playing up a bit. On hills at around 60km/h it hangs on to whatever gear it’s in (4th?) for too long. Makes the engine labour then eventually changes gear with a quite jerky gearchange. Knocking the shifter over to manual means it changes more smoothly if you get it before the engine starts to labour.

Rest of the time the auto preforms well, smooth changes up and down. At other speeds there are no issues on hills.

Does anyone else notice similar? Or have any insight into what may be the problem.

Sounds like the box needs to be serviced. There might be something causing one of the valves to stick - if it has the RE5 box, it's probably in 5th gear and it might (like mine does now and again) not unlock the TCC when expected (for mine, that's 68km/h). Late TCC unlocking coupled with a sticky valve and excessive loading are going to give it a kick - see if you can get the gearbox checked out.

Thanks. Will look into servicing it. It’s pretty much always been slow to kick down at that 60km/h up hill change. Thought it was just the programming of t he box trying to be economical or something.

Mine's been a bit slow to kick down if it's been sitting at the one speed for a while. I've even had the TCC locked down as low as 55km/h (both this gearbox and the one before). I think it's just a thing with these boxes. Rev 'em a bit and they respond fairly quickly, but if you let them sit and twiddle their thumbs a bit they tend to get sluggish.

Can't say I'm a lot different.

Back