Tub-Top Tent

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydos

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am wanting to set up a rooftop tent set up on top of the tub on the ute and was wondering if anyone had done something similar. I want to keep the dimensions of the vehicle the same so I don't want to mount it on the roof or on a canopy. I was just hoping to sit a rooftop tent on a hard lid or something with a part of it that hung down to the ground for my toddler to sleep in. I'm hoping this will kill two birds with one stone by having the tent but also making the tub lockableand waterproof.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd love some help, because it's either this or have to move to a wagon to accomodate an expanding family.

Thanks heaps

I run a roof top tent on the roof bars , you would have to make some kind or bar system to your lid to make the tent work , or you could remove the rails from the underside of the tent and bolt the tent straight to your lid , however if it was me I would add that kid of load to the glass lid:no::ahhh:

I don't think mounting to a hard top is going to work, best to make up some custom rails to take the weight

Hard lids aren't designed to take that kind of weight, however no reason why you couldn't use the same principle and design something custom made.

Hi all,
I am wanting to set up a rooftop tent set up on top of the tub on the ute and was wondering if anyone had done something similar. I want to keep the dimensions of the vehicle the same so I don't want to mount it on the roof or on a canopy. I was just hoping to sit a rooftop tent on a hard lid or something with a part of it that hung down to the ground for my toddler to sleep in. I'm hoping this will kill two birds with one stone by having the tent but also making the tub lockableand waterproof.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd love some help, because it's either this or have to move to a wagon to accomodate an expanding family.

Thanks heaps

Haydos, I am trying to do the samething currently except maintain the soft tonneau. I was thinking getting another sports bar and mounting that at the rear of the tub and then fixing the RTT to the tops of the two sport bars.

Let me know how you go Bosshog. It doesn't have to be a conventional hard lid, that was just an example. But I do want to keep the tub waterproof in times when I'm not camping and have the tent off. I was leaning toward a custom lid that has the strength to take the weight of the the tent, but still operate in the same way as a normal lid to waterproof the tub and make it lockable. Even if this lid has to have a rail system to fit the tent that is fine. I just really want the whole folded setup to still be in the dimensions of the vehicle.

That's a pretty nice set up he's got there. That is pretty much what I'm after in regard to the tent. Now just to find a way to do it properly.

It looks like he's used some heavy bars across the tub to support what appears to be a roof-top tent.

So, incorporate some heavy bars into a custom lid and mount the roof tent to that?

Another set up I have seen on the net. A hilux but ya get the idea.
I know it doesn't make the tray water proof but I am sure you could get around that and it gives ya a fair bit of space.

One thing you will have to watch is the height of the tent if ya want the external awning etc. Also ladder length. Just personal oppinion but I reckon it would be a major pain to have to bend down and duck under to get ya head into the tent every time.

Just another idea anyway.

Attachments

• P0104_200210.jpg
    P0104_200210.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 571
  • P0111_200210.jpg
    P0111_200210.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,337
  • P0106_200210.jpg
    P0106_200210.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 578
Yeah haydos, Yeah used to work at MIL and CMA, know Greg Pretty well, think i've met you before too. Is your wife Andi?
I build my own canopy on my D22 which i'm selling at the moment but i reckon its similiar to what your looking for your ute.
I build mine high enough to allow room for engel on slide in back and low enough it didn't catch any wind
If you want more info about it let me know.

Latest posts

Back