Turbo Whirl?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The genuine "Nissan" turbocharger isn't actually a bad unit, which is also used in BMW, VW and others. It's a Garrett GT2056V.

If you get a replacement from Forefront (Jamie visits this forum and may already know you're thinking about it) you'll have a decent unit.

Just got off the phone to Jamie, knows his stuff. Have ordered a new turbo, and just picked up all new gaskets from Nissan so will be installing new turbo once it arrives.

Not the best outcome i guess but at least im upgrading at the same time.

Just wrote a big update but it failed to post..

In short.. installed new turbo, seems to be making a hissing/gurgling noise, very quietly, after i turn off engine, this normal? Stops if you release the radiator

If the turbo is really hot and you shut the engine down you could hear that.

Turbochargers in D40s are oil-fed and water-cooled. If they're too hot when the engine is stopped, the coolant and oil both stop flowing. Coolant inside the turbo will boil, and oil will burn on the bearings. This will pressurise the radiator and eventually destroy the turbocharger.

Gentle driving doesn't cause the turbocharger to heat up as much so it's safe to just turn the engine off. However, hard driving does require that you idle the engine for a minute or two to allow the heat to be removed by the coolant.

Cheers Tony, i always let it cool down before shutting down engine and iv got a turbo timer that im going to install now the new turbos in. My coolant temp sits around 95-103ish depending on how im driving it does this sound about right?

I think the turbos probably alright its only because i installed it myself that im worried about it. May also have a small oil leak but thats just a matter of getting a new copper washer for the eye bolt where the oil feed comes from the engine block.

Update : this morning i had to add 1 liter of water to radiator, possibly just an air lock?

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the coolant level. If it's consuming water it might be in the turbocharger (not very likely) or the connections to the turbocharger (possible).

Your temps sound fine. Mine sits at 91C when idling, 94C in normal driving, 97-99C when climbing hills and between 94 and 100C when towing (I hold it below 100C by using gears). I could let it get hotter - I choose not to.

Cheers for your advice Tony, appresiate it. I havent had to add any more water since and iv done around 300km with the new turbo on so i think its alright. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back