Uhf aerial

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Spark

Reaction score
Hey fellas, iv recently got myself a GME TX3600 UHF and am in the process of installing it, i was just wondering what arials you have on you vehicle and the pros and cons of them, and also what types are best in what sort of terrain. Im looking for something that is good in the mountain without going for the big trawler polls. Any ideas???

Hey mate, i just have the GME AE4705 1.2m antenna. its at 4.5dB so its mid way, i have recorded hearing people 30-40kms away on the flats. Not too sure how it will go doing ye old sand dunes, If im correct, the lower dB the better. But not sure. Im quite happy with mine, does the job nicely.

Brett

Hey bright spark, there's a current thread kickin round to do with Aido wanting a high powered UHF from the States, it's got a bit of info about aerials in it too, might be worth a read.

I have both a GME AE4018K1 and a AE4012K1...both perform faultlessly. Unless you are getting into hardcores tuff they are both pretty good.

Mitch

I bought a tx3340 that came with an AE4012K2 which has an elevated feed base. Great transmit & receive on the elevated base, but having it mounted on the bullbar it only lasted 3 months before the whip snapped off whilst driving. I've replaced it with an RFI whip and it HAS made an improvement. And the RFI whip is rubber coated so shouldn't break like the other did. I should also mention that GME replaced the whip that broke and said the 4012k2 isn't really designed fir bullbar mounting, even though it says it is on the pack. Both are 4.5db (6.6bdi).

Hey mate, i just have the GME AE4705 1.2m antenna. its at 4.5dB so its mid way, i have recorded hearing people 30-40kms away on the flats. Not too sure how it will go doing ye old sand dunes, If im correct, the lower dB the better. But not sure. Im quite happy with mine, does the job nicely.

Brett

What he said.

I have the same antenna.

However for the next 2 weeks I will be using a whip antenna until I get my bullbar back.

If you dont want it to break, get an all S/S ant.
Personally I use and recommend either Mobileone, GME or Benelec ant's.

:cheers!:

The antenna of will that broke is stainless if i'm not mistaken

I had the same one break so now im trying the RFI CD900 due to good reveiws on the forums.

I also have herd good things about the GME 4705. but I find white fibreglass distracting. It has a good spring base that you can also interchange with higher or lower db antennas in the 47XX GME range

I had the same one break so now im trying the RFI CD900 due to good reveiws on the forums.

I also have herd good things about the GME 4705. but I find white fibreglass distracting. It has a good spring base that you can also interchange with higher or lower db antennas in the 47XX GME range

a S/S whip will just bend and you bend it back.
I guarantee you you wont break a S/S whip.

like this one for example

s474 brochure

Correct! it is renowned for breaking, although most people experience them breaking over long stretches of corrigated roads. just above the fastening nut on the whip.

ae4012k2.jpg

the RFI i replaced it with is the one Pat Callinan uses and he covers more Kms than me so i thought i try it. Im very happy with it.
1213431302.jpg

try a diff brand and without the raised feed tube.

The S474 we use on all the mining vehicles and the worst outcome is some bends here and there.

without having a go, an elevated feed is one of the best ways to get extra distance from your transmission. Regardless of the brand of antenna the transmission is projected from the base so hight is the key. the whip / antenna has little other than the DB tuning to present the transmission which i think if the DB is measured correctly should all meet the same performance baseline. Thus Ceteris paribus, an elevated feed will outperform a non-elevated feed antenna's transmission.

Hey will,
Does that rfi whip just fit straight on to thhe elevated feed?
I've got the same aerial you had and was thinkin of changing the whip. I emailed prestige and they recommended the rfi too.
Does it wobble less then your old gme one coz man that's annoying!
Only $29 for the rfi whip, pretty good!
Cheers

Question to those running the RFI

It says on the web not suitable for use on "diesel vehicle and bullbar mounting", so, opinions? Suitable or not?

Mitch

Re: Uhf arial

digbyj said:
Hey will,
Does that rfi whip just fit straight on to thhe elevated feed?
I've got the same aerial you had and was thinkin of changing the whip. I emailed prestige and they recommended the rfi too.
Does it wobble less then your old gme one coz man that's annoying!
Only $29 for the rfi whip, pretty good!
Cheers

Diggers, it fits on as though they were made for each other, it's a little stiffer through the lower whip and flexes less but the elevated base still wobbles a bit.

Re: Uhf arial

mitch92 said:
Question to those running the RFI

It says on the web not suitable for use on "diesel vehicle and bullbar mounting", so, opinions? Suitable or not?

Mitch

I got mime from the electric bug and they recon they sell hundreds for where you've mentioned without issues. For $29, its worth a try!

without having a go, an elevated feed is one of the best ways to get extra distance from your transmission. Regardless of the brand of antenna the transmission is projected from the base so hight is the key. the whip / antenna has little other than the DB tuning to present the transmission which i think if the DB is measured correctly should all meet the same performance baseline. Thus Ceteris paribus, an elevated feed will outperform a non-elevated feed antenna's transmission.

The "ground independant""elevated feed" is designed for the purpose the you dont need a ground plane to mount the ant, ie a bullbar and that reason only, and come at a max db of around 6.5,
but as I've said before are my pick for an allround ant.
I prefer one with a f/glass whip on top.

For distance, the tall/high gain 9-12 db ants are what you need and are designed for and will outperform the smaller ants.

:cheers!:

Last edited by a moderator:
So just to make sure i understand, the whip for the rfi fits onto the elevated feed for the GME? or am i missing something?

Mitch

Latest posts

Back