Uk diesel chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellafella

Reaction score
So found some chips for close to $120-200 from my understanding i cant see any difference in the $1200 chips same internals and programs! Anyway to the point i realise that a remap would be beat for continues use but once i fit a straight thru exhaust would there be any real damage or danger of something going horribly wrong if i only used the chip for the times im off road what would rearly be 100km a year? Just cant justify $1200 for such limited use!
Any opinions would be awesome cheers

If you are going to fit a chip at minimum fit an egt gauge. Especially with the temps these run from the factory, you need to make sure it's not getting too hot

Im not fitting it till i fit mew ARE intercooler and exhaust just asking the question! Spoke to a guy who sells chips amd tunes them once fitted off top o my head i forgotthe name of company!
Asked him honestly whats the difference between the $1300 chips that we are gettin ripped off by here in australia from the $100-300 ones you can get from Germany/UK and else where!
And i quote. " I have been doin this for 8 years now and havnt come across a chip that does anything different nor better! Same thing different wrapper!"

Pretty much... Some of the newer ones modify injector pulse, but obviously this only works on common rail engines. The older ones all trick the computer into thinking the fuel pressure is lower than it is so it increases pressure, which can cause damage...

If you have an egt gauge then at least you can keep an eye on temps to make sure its not getting too hot

pre turbo, 700 is about as far as i take it. been told it can sit on 700 all day, but to much higher and your looking at melting pistons.

I have my EGT sensor tapped into the blanking plate of the EGR at the exhaust end...Post turbo??? (i'm no mechanic)if so what temps are the norm for there...

Cheers...Sparra

Shouldn't make a lot of difference whether its winter or summer. How far into the exhaust stream does the thermocouple sit? That will affect the reading.

I've got my probe in the dump pipe and the most I'll let it run to is about 1000f on the gauge (about 530c) which could be up around the 700c mark pre turbo depending on engine load. The most I've ever seen it though is just over 800f, but I haven't towed anything heavy and there's not a lot of big hills near Perth...

in the egr blanking plate would be pre turbo. that pretty much puts it right in the path of the very last cylinder exhaust flow, gives a pretty dead on reading whats happening in that cylinder. i've never been able to get mine above 700 without the chip on.

tried once, 4th gear foot flat climbing a range, couldn't push past 80km/h and it only went to 600 without the chip. with the chip on it can get to 700, pretty easy if i'm giving the ute a gut full to over take or climbing the a long hill in a hurry.

Wouldnt having the sensor out the back of the dump pipe be the best postion to have you EGT and the most accurate being it has just come from you manifold?

The dump pipe is after the turbo, which can cause anywhere from 100C to 250C to be lost in pushing the turbine around. Because the losses are so variable, it's difficult to back-track and say that your exhaust manifold (pre-turbo) is operating at any particular temperature.

The advice I was given was either "just before; or just after the Turbo", the former is a little difficult, so I went with just after the turbo. I have heard that using the dump pipe can lead to variable results. My probe tip sits about 1cm into the exhaust flow judging by where the black soot marks are on it when I pulled it out recently.

KB

The BEST place for the probe is in the middle of the stream right at the end of the exhaust manifold just before it reaches the turbocharger. That's the hottest point in the entire area, and will measure the WORST that your turbocharger is being subjected to.

It isn't the easiest, it's just the most accurate. You can position it elsewhere as long as you accept that the reading could be inaccurate - by a small amount anywhere around that area, and by much greater amounts post-turbo.

Now that's where I'm stuck with my own, because the instructions for mine says to electrically isolate the probe from the exhaust manifold. It means I need to find a method of drilling, insulating and retaining the probe with all of the pressure of the exhaust trying to push it back out.

There are probably widgets designed exactly for that purpose, but I haven't found it yet.

Latest posts

Back