Unichip thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
After some searching through the forum, the Unichips seem to be the duck's nuts for piggy back ECU remapping. However, there is no way I can justify the money >$1600 for a local to supply and fit and I don't want a cheap chip that solely increases rail pressure. So my options are to follow the lead from here and import one and be presented with the problem of finding someone to tune it. The other option is for ECU remapping but I don't know the specifics of what is done here, as it seems to depend on who does it. So to open the can of worms, import a Unichip and find someone to tune it or look for ECU remapping?

Ok so let me ask another question. Can we get remapping software for the factory ECU that is comparable to a piggy back plug-and-play system? Ideally, we want a safe but responsive adjustment to injector pulse, injector timing and boost levels, more so that just rail pressure.

So, can someone help out with insights into remapping factory ECU or going with a piggy back?

If you are after an ecu remapp give Mercury Motorsport in Wilston Brisbane a call and talk to Trent , highly recommended.

Unichip is one of the best chips on the market. ECU remapping is still new. Unichip has been around for 5 or so years now so its a tried and tested product and will not disappoint if tuned correctly

Most tuners will be unable to properly set up a Unichip, the day's of chips is declining, Reflash is now considered safer with better results.

But you cant unplug a reflash.

A chip is still a good way to go if your still under warranty.

Accept that most chips are rubbish...
And many of not all tuners stand by their work and are more the. Happy got help out after sale.

* accept uni chip

Thanks for the reply fellas. Happy John, I accept that reflash is the kid on the block but isn't it dependent upon the factory ECU? I have seen that some factory tunes cannot be overridden with reflash. The fall back is then installing a plug and play chip.

Mike1303, I do accept that most chips are rubbish, and cheap, that is why I am particularly interested in Unichip. As Dilmah outlined, it has been the best option for power and torque for some years. Leprechaun, I will look into the Q model and get back to you. Why you selling out of interest?

I have to admit, the remapping or reflashing of the ECU is intriguing.

Thanks for the reply fellas. Happy John, I accept that reflash is the kid on the block but isn't it dependent upon the factory ECU? I have seen that some factory tunes cannot be overridden with reflash. The fall back is then installing a plug and play chip.

Mike1303, I do accept that most chips are rubbish, and cheap, that is why I am particularly interested in Unichip. As Dilmah outlined, it has been the best option for power and torque for some years. Leprechaun, I will look into the Q model and get back to you. Why you selling out of interest?

I have to admit, the remapping or reflashing of the ECU is intriguing.

If you still want that Unichip try Northside 4x4, if they still operate they were very good with the install.

I was using the Unichip to control limp mode on my Patrol by modifying the MAF voltage at certain RPMS. I now have a ECU tune, it does make more power but it has come at a cost, the power is not as smooth, especially noticeable in low range, very jerky and with the smoke limits turned off........ well it now blows a hell of a lot of black smoke.

The Q model will do boost, fuel pressure and timing but with far more control than what a DP or similar chip can do as the Unichip software allows 3D mapping and you can have different tunes set on a switch.

Both methods have their advantages and risks.

That's good info guys. I realised that you lot were advising me on places in Brissy because I hadn't updated my bio in 3 years. I am in Cairns, so if anybody knows of a good mob to talk to up here about tuning, I am all ears. I have found a couple of places but if someone has personal experience with a tuner and can recommend, I would appreciate it.

I will certainly keep your Unichip Q in mind Leprechaun. I just want to get my head around the tuning options, particularly reflashing vs chips

Just take your time mate, the poms over on the UK site provide good info and have been playing around with both setups for years. Perhaps Unichip could pass on details of a tuner close to home. Goodluck with whatever you chose, The Unichip is still highly regarded and would be your number one choice if it's to be a chip. Just use caution, some of the "tuners" today are after a quick buck and have no idea what they are doing. Try google reveiws and True Local and try and seek real life experience.

Back