V6DCI ,V9X, NO BOOST PRESSURE, Maybe....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakka

Reaction score
Yep, love blowin new rangers off,BUT, warmed engine Left home for work felt normal for 3 mins, put my foot down to enter highway , foot down, foot down, hang on my engine won't rev over 3 and now it's changing back gears to get up a slight incline WTF. Ok ,know turbo petrols, thought straight up blown intercooler pipe,Drove like this to job 25 mins ,checked piping all good, idling perfect at lights no warning lights on dash,arse squinting, left car at job for 2hrs , started back up to test cause it got the better of me...... Perfect...... Has been for a week.Thinking sticky EGR valve stuck open , Opinions??

I haven't had this issue with mine , but I did have the EGR valve changed under warranty . When my EGR valve was playing up it was throwing the check engine light on my dash. I was having problems with my cruise control on mine but that has gone now. My car felt like it was slightly underpowered when the EGR was playing up but nothing like what you have described .

Cool thanks mate, but it was dead, as a maggot, as if it where aspirated. Fine now , jus worried, wanna take this rig to the cape, less than 20 k ONC. Fill regularly from BP high turnover servo. I'm still thinking weird EGR, Shall see....

I understand your concern it would worry me too . Sorry cant be of more help . I would definatly take it to get looked at . Strange how it did that to you and then went away a few hours later. Have you done any engine mods , chip ect ?

The V9X engine so far has had turbo hose issues and EGR issues and not much more. A stuck EGR valve could cause revs to be limited if it were stuck wide open but then it wouldn't start or idle and it'd blow smoke like it was Puffing Billy. So that makes me think it won't be the EGR valve.

What else limits it? Fuel rail pressure to start. If you can monitor it, the V9X should be able to reach rail pressures of over 30,000psi (it's like 100bar higher than the YD25 in the D40). If your rail pressure doesn't go over the midpoint, then it could be a faulty pressure sensor or perhaps even a dodgy connection. That's possibly an easy fix - clean and reconnect the electricals to see if that makes it come good.

If your rail pressure is ok, the only other possibility is turbocharger. Because it's working properly and not making tons of noise, I'd suspect the actuator.

The 140kW YD25s started coming out with electronic actuators in late 2010 I think it was, and some of these were plagued with problems - and had these exact symptoms. Engine wouldn't produce power yet unloaded would rev ok, after shutting down and restarting everything would be ok until the next time the actuator control stuffed up.

A dealer would need an error code, or be able to see evidence of the fault. Checking yourself on the V9X is not easy with the location of the turbocharger, but removing the engine cover would be the first step (without turning the engine off) then watch the actuator as someone taps the throttle to change RPM from idle to around 1300-1500 where boost should be coming on. You should see changes roughly in line with the demands of the engine. If not, the actuator is stuffed. Take it to Nissan but don't expect them to take your word for it - they have to see it for themselves, it's all part of their procedures.

Good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated!

Ok cool, thanks guys, and yes I have a dtuk chip and yes I disconnected it and restarted later without probs.i will reconnect and see if this is the prob, just wierd how no lights came up??
Dtuk alters regs/ boost within factory parameters at lower rpms?? So they say,my blue , cannot confirm.Gotta be the prob, has run great otherwise. Maybe my fault for going cheapskate , or a genuine prob. Will check toomoz.
BTW ,has done a few thou with chip no probs??

It's then possible that the chip is sending incorrect information to the car, limiting fuel/boost pressures.

There's an excellent post here by Northside 4x4 (who now posts as DieselTuner) that explains the different chips, but let me summarise the most important bits here:

Cheap chips make cheap and sometimes dangerous shortcuts that could significantly damage your engine.

The really cheap ones - like No Limits - actually just intercept the throttle input and the fuel rail pressure sensor signals. Upon depressing the throttle, the chip adds a small amount of resistance to the pressure sensor's signal return, which makes the ECU think the rail pressure is lower than it is. This can be dangerous at higher throttle application, not only to the rails, but to the pump as well. Pump = $4K. Fuel rail + injectors = $4K. Add fitting and your $150 chip just cost near $9,000.

I don't know what your chip does, but if it's just a pressure modifier, the biggest favour you could do yourself is to add an EGT gauge of some description on the exhaust manifold before the turbocharger (after the turbo you'll lose between 100-250C and that's too much variation to rely on) and make the EGT gauge sound an alarm (at least, if not disable the chip!) if the EGT rises above 750C.

Thanks tony, I have been quite weary of said chips, was told this was a' Digital Module' and Andrew from dtuk answered all questions promptly as he owns a v6dci so I was obliged. They have a very good wrap in the UK ? Audi,Mercedes etc, multiple car owner used modules?
He also explained that because of the complexity / access or lack thereof of the injectors on the v9x that a multi injector system was impractical ,I can confirm, yet they supply a pulse modulated system for the 4 banger because of easy customer fitment, injector access?
I was stienbauer sold but found out they are fuel rail,no boost control?
Would love to know some info on UNICHIP, will give them a call .
Kind regards.

Latest posts

Back