*VNOG* border track trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dannng I might have my licence back by then! hopefully got my new rope for winch :D

dates are hard to get off tho... as I'm in america next month, surely boss wont be impressed. wish ya's were goin on an rdo weekend :p, but who knows will see when its closer! :D

I like my tent,easy to set up and down,can stand up in it to get changed,has a centre pole to hang onto when i get in there with a few beers under the belt.You can get side poles for them as well so you can chuck a double mattress in.
If i have to knock it in some way,strong wind does move it around a bit being so high but it does have guy ropes.
If i was going into croc country i would get a rooftop,but being a shortarse the set up of those doesn't apeal to me.
If i was a swag man Ridgies would be the way to go.Jase also had a simular set up on the KC.
Heres mine at the Howqua last Saturday,looks a bit messy because instead or rolling up the awnings, i was a lazy bastard and just flicked them over the top.
P1150354.jpg

Back on topic,would road rubber be ok on the border track?

I used to like that sort of tent. until it leaked at fraser island and I got drenched. luckily had a tarp. it was brand new. in fact my family bought 2 of them, and bought 2 of the similar ones, where there is a little bit more room. we used that stuff to rub on the seams, and even left them up in the backyard to get weathered. yet they still leaked and required a tarp. back to the trusty old dome tent, easy to put up and never fails :p oh and also they are heavy as and take up room in the tray ;) Good tent when it aint raining tho!

Yes
Heath
Ridgie
Aido
Ian
Gus
Woody
ONLOCK (kyle)

Maybe
Will
Scotty
digbyJ

me and the missus are definatly keen on this.

Hi VNOGgers

Wondering if you want me to ring the farm at Peake and make a booking? Weekends are fully booked 12 months of the year but week days are fine providing we get in and make a booking?

There some great dunes there. Camp area with long drops also provided.

Gus

This trip looks like fun, I'll have to ask the better half if I can duck off for a couple of days (or maybe we can pull Molly out of school for a couple of days and bring her).

Please add me as a maybe, I'll get back to you :)

This trip looks like fun, I'll have to ask the better half if I can duck off for a couple of days (or maybe we can pull Molly out of school for a couple of days and bring her.

Its school holidays in SA so I'll have the boss and the tin lids with me.

OK Gents, VNOG is alive and well, still 3 months out and I think I'll have to call this trip an 8 vehicle max, so one spot left..
Heata,
Aido,
Ridgie,
Woody,
Bosshog,
Navarian,
ONLOCK.

If anyones circumstances change please post up, and the next in line Will, ScottyB, Digbyj and Geoff.
In response to Gus' offer to book peak, I probably need to post a broad brush trip plan so if guys want to access peak, Gus knows when to book.
This is what I had in mind.
Sat 9th July, Melbourne to Rainbow. (430k 5hrs + breaks)
On the sat night, there is a basic motel in Rainbow (staggering distance from the pub) or we can drive on a bit and camp at Albacutya.
Sunday 10th July, Rainbow to Big billy bore campsite (close to pinaroo fuel etc( (70k sand driving)
Monday 11th July Big Billy to Pine hut soak campsite (70k sand driving)
Tuesday 12th July Pine hut soak -sth to emu flat rd (60k sand) then nth back up to Pine hut soak via pinaroo border town rd (hard top 70k)
Wednesday 13th July Pine hut soak - Nth on border track then east into murray sunset Nat park, we can decide where exactly at the time.
Thursday 14th July head home.

This plan gets in to/through 5 different parks/wilderness areas, allows us to avoid 1 camp pack up, and should get us into camp at a reasonable hour each day (famous last words?) anyhow comment away.
the relevant Map is 'Victorias Deserts Touring guide" and this link gives you a pretty good idea of the area. http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WestVic/Border_Track.aspx for what its worth, as laughable as their drive times look, I foound them to be accurate.

Last edited:
Heata - all sounds good to me. I prefer the motel on Sat night after the drive (add nearly 2 hrs for me) so we can have a beer in the pub and a shower in the morning - however I am thinking of heading to the west side of Melbourne on Friday night to meet up with the convoy on Sat morning.

If my circumstances changed so much that it meant I had to miss this trip it means you will find me in a pine box 6 foot under. I can't bloody wait!

Sounds Epic Heata - to quote the younger gen.
Demand for leave goes in tomorrow.
Something I would like to see on this one though ( unless there are major objections ) dont cap the numbers...... Make it as all welcome and divide into 2 equal groups that operate completely independent of each other ( Within reason).

True dat Aido. (in keeping with the vernacular)
I'll be off line for about 10 days, (this website doesn't get through the Great Firewall of China) So I'll let the feedback flow then edit on return.

Latest posts

Back