VNOG high country snow trip - Queen's Birthday long weekend

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need to find a chiropractor thats in to 4wding to bring on trips. Just to get Scotty unwound in the morning. (or mayby that navara with the hot tub in the back...):sarcastic:

I dont mind having a late start either. Plenty of time to drink coffee before i hit the track.

I'll be going up on the friday to camp overnight as well. So where do we camp the first night?

I'm also thinking of brining an empty trailer with, (a good off road one) so we can throw timber in during the day and have heaps of wood available each night. That way we wont be risking any damage to the tubs of any of our pride and joys ...

I highly suggest you dont bring a trailer woody, youll be winching all day and I believe were going to be on a fairly tight timeline as it is with the amount of cars

I highly suggest you dont bring a trailer woody, youll be winching all day and I believe were going to be on a fairly tight timeline as it is with the amount of cars

No problem. I dont know the tracks we'll be going on, so i though i'd at least mention it just in case.

Trailer will stay at home then.

Campsite for Friday night is the Carter's Road camping area, just before Mirimbah. It's the easiest one to find for all those who are rolling in at night.

What is the situation with antifreeze? as far a I can read in the manual, mine should have antifreeze in the radiator as standard. Is it in strong enough concentration? or should I top it up?
What are peoples thoughts on this?

Campsite for Friday night is the Carter's Road camping area, just before Mirimbah. It's the easiest one to find for all those who are rolling in at night.

Thanks Doc. Just looking at the best route for me - a couple of options:
1. Up through Yarra Junction - Healesville - Alexandra - Mansfield.

2. Upper Pakenham -Cockatoo - Coldstream - Yea - Mansfield.

3. Although there is a little part of me saying take the dirt through Aberfeldy - Woods Point - Kevington - Jamieson - Mansfield.

Travelling at night - options 1 or 2 are probably the safest!

I wonder which route Old Tony would take?:idea:

We probably need to check servo opening times in Mansfield for the alpine diesel. I can look into that through the week.

Last edited:
Benalla? Is there a reason you want to go through Benalla? Why not just just go straight from Yea or Alexandra to mansfield.

Heath - You'll be fine with standard antifreeze mate.

Ridgie - With that being the opening weekend of the snow resorts, the Mansfield BP will be open nice n early so should be no dramas with the alpine diesel. Best bet is to try and get into Mansfield with your tank near empty.

We probably need to check servo opening times in Mansfield for the alpine diesel. I can look into that through the week.

Thats a big for sure the old hilux froze in febuary on a cold spell 3 years ago took some time to thaw had to put heating oil in it to help

Benalla? Is there a reason you want to go through Benalla? Why not just just go straight from Yea or Alexandra to mansfield.

Oh well, I used to work there and I thought it would be good to visit again........................and because my map reading skills tonight were crap and I got lost in the Vicroads directory.

Lucky the 'edit' button works!

Last edited:
the bp in mansfield is usually open pretty late. 11pm maybe? dont quote me on that, but they are open later on the long weekends and should be open early morning aswell. anyone wanna put up directions to the campsite from mansfield bp???

might wanna confirm if gaz85 and case84 are still coming, if there not may aswell go in one group

the bp in mansfield is usually open pretty late. 11pm maybe? dont quote me on that, but they are open later on the long weekends and should be open early morning aswell. anyone wanna put up directions to the campsite from mansfield bp???

Campsite is easy to find, it's left onto Carter's Road just before you get to Mirimbah on the main road to Mt Buller.

You can get alpine diesel at Yea,merton and Bonnie doon as well.
A quick google search of Alpine diesel will show you how to home brew it.
Diesel in mansfield is not cheap.
Get diamond pattern chains,easier to fit and better grip than ladder design.

Latest posts

Back