"VNOG High Plains 12th-14th March" ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could definitely be in for the labour day weekend. Will confirm a bit closer to the dates though.

Gday guys,i just got back from two great days camping on the Howqua river.We really should do a trip there sometime but i'll leave that to another thread.
Before i left i checked the parks vic website to see what is open.
I noticed that Wonnangatta access from Mansfield is closed at the moment
but is due to reopen on the 11th march so we should be in luck.
Worth keeping an eye on in case they don't get it open on time and we need to change plans.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mresources/DSE_PV_Flood_Closures.pdf
:cheers!:

Gday guys,i just got back from two great days camping on the Howqua river.We really should do a trip there sometime but i'll leave that to another thread.
Before i left i checked the parks vic website to see what is open.
Worth keeping an eye on in case they don't get it open on time and we need to change plans.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mresources/DSE_PV_Flood_Closures.pdf
:cheers!:

Catch any trout?

Six,released all but one.
PC300345.jpg

Good point Navarian. Do we want to be the first vehicles through after being closed for such a long time?

Should be fine,they will be repairing land slips if the tracks i drove on in the last two days are anything to go by.
That much rain it changed the coarse of a river.

Do we want to be the first vehicles through after being closed for such a long time?

Sounds like an adventure.

Couple of questions:

Is Labour Day weekend a concrete date for this trip? I can put in for leave but I need to give plenty of notice and I can't change my mind later on

What's the minimum equipment requirement for a trip like this, ie. winch, recovery kit, muddies, lockers, chainsaw, etc?

What level of tracks are we talking?

Sounds like an adventure.

Couple of questions:

Is Labour Day weekend a concrete date for this trip? I can put in for leave but I need to give plenty of notice and I can't change my mind later on

What's the minimum equipment requirement for a trip like this, ie. winch, recovery kit, muddies, lockers, chainsaw, etc?

What level of tracks are we talking?

Yes Dion that date is set in concrete.
All you'll need is food,grog, a tent/swag. There are some steep climbs/descents and a quite a few river crossings but nothing a dead stock Navara couldn't handle.

is this when the mighty PIES play essendon?
trips should be planned to work around PIES GAMES.....
just kidding...
Navarian...one trout wouldnt feed me,i would need at least 3 just for lunch...lol

Yes Dion that date is set in concrete.
All you'll need is food,grog, a tent/swag. There are some steep climbs/descents and a quite a few river crossings but nothing a dead stock Navara couldn't handle.

After the Cobaws mis-adventure I would add a caveat. Last year was pretty easy going with only basic 4wd skills and equipment required....This time round who knows.

Bare essentials.
Camping for 2 nights so be reasonably self sufficient - we can nut out who's bringing what closer to the date.
Recovery gear - Snatch strap of your own, Shackles, gloves etc. Winch shouldn't be required. Hi Lift - would be good if we have at least 1 amongst us. As would a shovel.
A standard vehicle could have done it last year but once again the condition of the tracks is unknown. So some decent tyres would be advantageous.
A snorkel is "almost" mandatory as there are approx 9 river / creek crossings. Navarian did it last year wearing a bra. That did alot for his confidence as it gave him lift and support but still wasn't going to stop his engine gulping water. The tarp thing he attached to his car did help though. :sarcastic:

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/adrnlws/?action=view&current=Wonnangatta013.flv

No worries Scotty.
Here is a vid that Aido shot of the deepest crossing from Anzac day trip last year.From what i understand the river crossings have been scoured from the floods that happened last winter and are now a bit deeper.
Igot a splash in my air box even with my bra on but wouldn't want to go any deeper than the vid.

I'm thinking of doing the second half of the trip a few weeks before we all go just to check things out.

With this weather pattern expected to continue over much of Summer I would expect all of the river crossings to be way deeper than last year..... It wouldn't surprise me if most of them have a bow wave over the bonnet. I'd say a snorkel would be mandatory for this trip.

Latest posts

Back