water in the fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic.t

Reaction score
My Navara has done 11,000km and in that time I have had the water in fuel light come on 3 times, all since the 10,000 service. there is ALOT of water in the fuel.
It will basically fill the filter in less than 200km as of late. I have given it a good dose of additive with no change and it happens every time after it rains.

are there any known problems with water leaks? breathers etc?

I have ruled out the fuel station, they only have 1 diesel pump from which I fuel 2 fork lifts, a ranger, a rodeo and 3 trucks totalling over 1000L a week and none of them have the problem.

NICK

I cant say i have heard anyone else saying there getting water in the fuel from the rain.

Must be time to drop the tank and check the cap that hold in the sender unit and check all the hoses / fittings.

I hope you can find the problem before you do the injectors, rail, and pump that would trash the bank balance.

the dealer didnt top the tank up. The potential damage, or damage in the future that stems from this is my main worry and after my problem with nissan I can see them passing the blame back to the fuel company.

Empty the tank and be prepared to flush out your system.

There is a possiblity that you filled up at a station with significant water in their tanks and you're still working through it if there are no points of ingress into your system.

a few years ago i bought a new boat every time it rained i got loaded up with water in the tank.the water was getting under the moulded filler running down to the flex hose and straight into the tank,sealed all that and all better i dont know how your filler is set up so thi
s could be irrelevent. NOW onto diesel when i got water in my tank it destroyed my whole fuel system and all i can say i was saved by nrma,part of the replacement was that the tank was chemically cleaned as well as all the lines everthing else was replaced.

Mate as of late iv had the same issue i have 2 filters on mine with a water catcher befor the stock one and im emptying both every 3 weeks and iv tryed many servos but its generaly when the tank is geting low thants when i have the issues.

Need to completely drain your tanks. I filled up with diesel that had water in it. Nissan drained my tank but didnt quite get it all out. I kept draining the fuel filter and replaced it a few times in the following month. If the fuel filters gets to much water though them it will stuff them.

My mechanic even said, once i got a lot of water in my tank, it will then get condensation building up faster until i get it all out. So drain your tanks thoroughly!

I also try to fill up when i get down to a quarter of a tank. Don't let it get to low if you can.

BP paid for my repairs, so its always a good idea to pay on card or keep receipts. Never fill up when a tanker is there and try to use stations where diesel will be getting used a lot, like on highways.

Pete

Need to completely drain your tanks. I filled up with diesel that had water in it. Nissan drained my tank but didnt quite get it all out. I kept draining the fuel filter and replaced it a few times in the following month. If the fuel filters gets to much water though them it will stuff them.

My mechanic even said, once i got a lot of water in my tank, it will then get condensation building up faster until i get it all out. So drain your tanks thoroughly!

I also try to fill up when i get down to a quarter of a tank. Don't let it get to low if you can.

BP paid for my repairs, so its always a good idea to pay on card or keep receipts. Never fill up when a tanker is there and try to use stations where diesel will be getting used a lot, like on highways.

Pete

I work for a fuel company as a cuel tanker driver. Pritty much every servo has water in there tanks. Its not much but it is there. When u fill your car, the line that comes from the tank is about a qurer of the way up it, so unless they have a lot of water in there tanks then it normaly dose not pick it up. As the water sitts under the fuel.. And as for not filling up when the tanker is there is a load of crap. The tanks i fill range from 20000 to 60000 lts. When we drop fuel in the tank it dose not ster all the crap up like every one thinks it dose. By the way servos check there tanks daily for water.

I work for a fuel company as a cuel tanker driver. Pritty much every servo has water in there tanks. Its not much but it is there. When u fill your car, the line that comes from the tank is about a qurer of the way up it, so unless they have a lot of water in there tanks then it normaly dose not pick it up. As the water sitts under the fuel.. And as for not filling up when the tanker is there is a load of crap. The tanks i fill range from 20000 to 60000 lts. When we drop fuel in the tank it dose not ster all the crap up like every one thinks it dose. By the way servos check there tanks daily for water.

Fair enough. When i had water in my fuel however, part of the process to put in a claim to BP was a questionnaire. One of the questions was "was there a tanker filling up at the time you fill up?", there was at the time i filled up!

They also had to send someone out to test this stations tanks. They paid up so i'm guessing there must have been a shit load of water in their tanks. I then learnt that a few friends had the same problem from this particular station. This station only has one diesel bowser also.

"By the way servos check there tanks daily for water". Guess not at this particular one!

Having worked in tech and complaint sections of Shell Australia I'll say this,
whilst station staff "should" check tanks daily records are fobbed because it's a "smelly" job, it's a "dirty" job, or plain ol' "I can't be arsed going out in that rain!"

Latest posts

Back