What EGT's is your ZD30DDT getting ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question... With the old 100 degree rule of thumb between post and pre turbo sensor mounting, what happens when ur sittiing on full boost at say 3-4k rpm (third gear donuts for example lol)
The temps pre and post turbo should pretty much be the same do u guys rekon? Cos alot of hot gas is going straight thru the wastegate.
I had mine up to 700 or so recently post turbo... Everything seems ok so far though

James

Thermal equilibrium would be closer than say a quick all out blast up to 550 by where the temp difference at the manifold to the dump pipe would/could be larger, however direct distance from the highest source of the heat must still be accounted for. Even though the heat distribution would be better, there will still be a temp drop regardless of the situation. Whether its 50 deg to 150 it still worries me.

This reinforces my point as its still a guessing game.

Its not hard to tap the manifold at all.... the one thing you will need is to use a series of 1/4 driver extensions so you can get above the engine. Easy to apply directional force to the tapping piece.

:)

Hey cheers mate, not really talkin bout thermal balancing effects. More the heat energy converted by the turbine as it goes thru and how the sensor would get exhaust gas coming thru the wategate on it, so only like half the flow is going the turbine and getting its temp dropped...

Has anyone got any pics of their Auber meters mounting in the cab?
I would like to see how different people go about mounting them!
Thanks guys

The first one i had was mounted in the slot under the stereo.
When i got the second one i put them above the instrument cluster.

The blue one is intake temp and the red one has two probes in the exhaust i can switch between while driving. One in the manifold and one about 400mm after the turbo.

Sitting on 100kmh on flat ground there's 80 degrees difference between the two, but put your foot down and the one in the manifold climbs much faster.

Attachments

• IMG_7506.JPG
    IMG_7506.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 104
The first one i had was mounted in the slot under the stereo.
When i got the second one i put them above the instrument cluster.

The blue one is intake temp and the red one has two probes in the exhaust i can switch between while driving. One in the manifold and one about 400mm after the turbo.

Sitting on 100kmh on flat ground there's 80 degrees difference between the two, but put your foot down and the one in the manifold climbs much faster.

Thanks for the pic Rumpig (Bundy I would hope :rofl2:)

There is no way I would be pushing to try and get a high reading. Our Mack trucks at work are only safe for 700. Someone please tell me why you would be trying to see how high you can get you EGTs? Isnt the point of having the temp gauge to avoid running at high temps, to avoid engine/turbo damage?

Safe on which side?

I'm not after a pushing the limit answer, after an answer where I know the point where I have to back off due to driving in a shitload of dunes.

Safe on which side?

I'm not after a pushing the limit answer, after an answer where I know the point where I have to back off due to driving in a shitload of dunes.

I wasnt really commenting on your question, just a comment in general reference some of the previous posts in this thread. Hmm, I don't know our safe limit on the turbo, I would be interested to find that out too.

Chip it chips are linked in with their EGT gauge if you purchase it. Apparently the unit receives temp info from the gauge, and if the EGTs reach a certain temp then the chip it unit will return the ECU back to factory specs, until a safe operating temp is reached again.

So maybe anyone with a chip it unit might know what the cut out temp is? Or maybe give chip it a ring?

Chipit have a cut out limit of 650. I would never like to push it so I have mine set to 550 cut out and a lower 450 for it to cut back in.

Rusty

pre turbo you could go as high as 800c, but with ZD30 grenade problem it would be best to be kept to 700c.
stock D40 runs 800c pre turbo.

Chipit have a cut out limit of 650. I would never like to push it so I have mine set to 550 cut out and a lower 450 for it to cut back in.

Rusty

You can make those adjustments yourself? Easy to do? And with your temps set in the safe side, do you find it cutting out much? Or do the temps not really get up that high anyway? I still don't have a EGT gauge, that'll go in with the chip.

pre turbo you could go as high as 800c, but with ZD30 grenade problem it would be best to be kept to 700c.
stock D40 runs 800c pre turbo.

So in relation to the after turbo temp what should "roughly" the temp be @ 700c pre turbo? If you also know, what temp does start to actually **** the pistons roughly once again.

700c pre turbo would be roughly 550c after turbo. assuming 150c drop across the turbo. however i havn't tested what the drop is on the standard turbo.

generally around 800-900c before pistons blow. but that varies a lot on design and also actual flame temps. egt is an average temp. petrols run much higher egt's but they have a lot more internal cooling from the fuel.
i think that higher boost, higher compression, worn injectors can cause increase in flame temps. eg some people have highly modded engines running very cool egt's but still blow holes in the pistons. probably because flame temps was to high and it damaged the surface of the piston.
you have to remember EGT damage is accumulative. it builds up over time.

Rusty

But where is the chipit thermocouple placed??? before or after turbo

where is the best or easiest place to put the sensor for a egt gauge on a zd 30ddt is there a fitting anywhere on the exhaust or we talking about drilling and tapping the manifold cause living out of town with a few hills around home i would like to keep an eye on whats happening under the hood plus i bought it to tow the camper trailer cause the old hilux just didnt have it in it any more hills the old hilux was down to third gear on the nav cruises over in top

I mounted mine on the side of the dump pipe, there is a bolt that holds the heat shield on that has plenty of meat around it, I drilled out thread and tapped to required size, came up Mickey Mouse.see picture in my pictures

I just fitted my EGT probe today and my temps seem very low, I know the probe is roughly accurate as it has been wired up since last weekend and just coield up in the engine bay waiting for me to weld the fitting into the dump pipe and has been reading about 100F. It is mounted about 100mm or so after the turbo where the dump pipe bends down. My gauge is a speco meter analogue gauge and at idle it sits just over 200F (93c) and cruising around town it is up and down between 300-400f (150-205c) I gave it some boot on flat ground and it got up to about 500f (260c) then on my way home I got stuck into it up a steep hill that is about 1Km long in 3rd gear sitting on about 3500-4200rpm (about 10-12psi boost) and it went up to about 850f (455c)
I have done the EGT mod and the probe is in a 3" dump pipe.

I just fitted my EGT probe today and my temps seem very low, I know the probe is roughly accurate as it has been wired up since last weekend and just coield up in the engine bay waiting for me to weld the fitting into the dump pipe and has been reading about 100F. It is mounted about 100mm or so after the turbo where the dump pipe bends down. My gauge is a speco meter analogue gauge and at idle it sits just over 200F (93c) and cruising around town it is up and down between 300-400f (150-205c) I gave it some boot on flat ground and it got up to about 500f (260c) then on my way home I got stuck into it up a steep hill that is about 1Km long in 3rd gear sitting on about 3500-4200rpm (about 10-12psi boost) and it went up to about 850f (455c)
I have done the EGT mod and the probe is in a 3" dump pipe.

sounds fine :)

Latest posts

Back