What GPS Mapping ????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisnav40

Reaction score
Am after some good detailed mapping for my GPS .
Am looking at OZTOPO , OZIEXPLORE or Garmin set .
I would like 4x4 tracks etc.
What others are available ?
What is the easiest and best detailed to use.
Am getting ready to do a trip down the backroads from QLD to Vic and then spend time in the NSW & Vic high country .
Coverage for all of OZ would be great as well.
Cheers,
Nisnav40

i've got garmin topo australia v2 and oztopo v2.1 both seem similar when viewed on mapsource but i gather oztopo is more highly regarded for offroad trips. I really haven't got into too much. others i have are shonky maps (free), Tracks4Australia (free) and i've also got the Hema Maps 2008 Australia 4WD DVD. I just keep garmin topo in as my default mapset as oztopo doesn't route (i believe v3 will).

i've got garmin topo australia v2 and oztopo v2.1 both seem similar when viewed on mapsource but i gather oztopo is more highly regarded for offroad trips. I really haven't got into too much. others i have are shonky maps (free), Tracks4Australia (free) and i've also got the Hema Maps 2008 Australia 4WD DVD. I just keep garmin topo in as my default mapset as oztopo doesn't route (i believe v3 will).

Hi Woznme ,
Would it be best to get the Oziexplorer whicjh I think uses the Shonky and tracks for Auistralia .
Do you use the Hema Australia 4WD Raster Map DVD and if so how do you find it to work etc.
From what i have read the garmin topo can get a bit busy when zooming in , is this so ?
Have also heard that OZTOPO are releasing a version that can route .
Any input will be great appreciated .
I try my best with computers etc but have a ways to go regading this process.

Shonky and tracks4Australia are for garmin not oziexplorer. I've looked at the HEMA maps only on the computer, can't really give proper advice on that one. Yeah with garmin topo you can't turn off contours so it does get busy, but doesn't really bother me and i'm only using a small screen streetpilot 2610. OZtopo v3 should be very good and garmin topo 2010 is coming out that they say should correct a lot of the issues people are having with it.

Shonky and tracks4Australia are for garmin not oziexplorer. I've looked at the HEMA maps only on the computer, can't really give proper advice on that one. Yeah with garmin topo you can't turn off contours so it does get busy, but doesn't really bother me and i'm only using a small screen streetpilot 2610. OZtopo v3 should be very good and garmin topo 2010 is coming out that they say should correct a lot of the issues people are having with it.

Thanks Woznme ,
Am a little closer to purchasing now.
Maybe a combination will be best.
Cheers ,
Nisnav40.

Woznme has pretty much covered all the bases, i use T4A and Shonky on my Nuvi w/countours australia overlayed.
What device are you using?

Woznme has pretty much covered all the bases, i use T4A and Shonky on my Nuvi w/countours australia overlayed.
What device are you using?

Hi Roundy,
I use a Garmin Zumo 550 .
I use it on my MC and 4x4.
May look at getting another Garmin with a larger screen, any ideas?
Cheers,
Nisnav40

That Zumo looks pretty nifty.

If you want to use OziExplorer u need something like a laptop or palm pilot that can run the software. Would be great for the big screen etc.
T4A and Shonky are maps that you can load onto a device, preferrably the device should have an offroad feature that draws a line where u've been and plots where you are so it doesn't get confused when you are driving throught the bush.

I have a garmin nuvi 760, it runs normal streetpilot usually and when offroad can load different maps from the memory card, on it is T4A, shonky & contours aus. When in offroad mode it works quite well and you can plan a route and it will direct you in straight line between waypoints, you can also overlay contours aus on the other maps.

I'm sure there are many other devices that can do the same like the magellen crossover or hema.

Good luck

You may want to check out OctaPC also,

They had the best price when i bought mine and also came with the extra maps pre-loaded on the sd card

As a retailer of Mio Products I used to recommend the Mio720 because although it was not the best on the market in it's price range (around $500) it was up there for features and usability, although the manual explaining this left a lot to be desired.

I've been using the 720 now for about 2 years and although it's was never recommended as the best for remote tracks the Sensis software that it uses has found tracks in East Gippsland that not even the CFA map books have listed.

They don't make the 720 any more and I don't think the alternative models are as good because they aren't aimed purely at car navigation but because the software is still the same for the average user not wanting to make new roads and just wanting to follow roads that someone else made (be it dirt or bitumen) the Sensis software on just about any GPS is a pretty good alternative to spending over $600

I was going to use Ozieplorer but the software didn't seem that great to me went for a garmin with the shonky maps, works OK has most tracks but not their names. but I haven't gotten lost yet.

From what i've read i think some of the mio's can be hacked to use oziexplorer if ur very computer litterate.

Yeah even without a track, if it records your path u'll never get lost.

That Zumo looks pretty nifty.

If you want to use OziExplorer u need something like a laptop or palm pilot that can run the software. Would be great for the big screen etc.
T4A and Shonky are maps that you can load onto a device, preferrably the device should have an offroad feature that draws a line where u've been and plots where you are so it doesn't get confused when you are driving throught the bush.

I have a garmin nuvi 760, it runs normal streetpilot usually and when offroad can load different maps from the memory card, on it is T4A, shonky & contours aus. When in offroad mode it works quite well and you can plan a route and it will direct you in straight line between waypoints, you can also overlay contours aus on the other maps.

I'm sure there are many other devices that can do the same like the magellen crossover or hema.

Good luck
Hi Roundy, thanks fior that.
I use the Garmin with Laptop to do routes etc works well.
Screeen is a tad small , have been looking at the 765 to have just for 4X4 .
Am getting a lot of great feedback with this thread , thanks Guys.
Cheers ,
Nisnav40

Garmin nuvi 5000 looks great if you can ignore the $600+ price. that said your zumo wasn't cheap. My old man has a zumo for his bike, great unit.

I find the 760 just big enough, though i'd like to incorporate it all into a stereo head unit....
I think the garmins are good units just make sure it has the features u need.

I got mine originally so if i found a good fishin hole on the beach (w.a has looooooong stretches of beach) then i could mark it and get back there.
Also the breadcrumb feature is good to save any good 4x4 tracks.
It's a PITA but possible to use google earth to trace out tracks and transfer them to you unit also.

Garmin nuvi 5000 looks great if you can ignore the $600+ price. that said your zumo wasn't cheap. My old man has a zumo for his bike, great unit.

Hi Woznme,
I looked at the 5000 , no battery backup .
Nice size screen though.
I take my zumo off and use it to walk around as well .
The 765 has the same features as the zumo , just a bigger screen .
I too use the zumo on my Bike , Blue tooth for phone , mp3 , I use UHF and intercon as well all running through the Helmets . Very clear sound and great to chat etc when on a run .
Cheers,
Nisnav40

From what i've read i think some of the mio's can be hacked to use oziexplorer if ur very computer litterate.

Yeah even without a track, if it records your path u'll never get lost.

Mio's can be hacked with a few different software packages and there is some specific add on packages which make the Mio's more like a PDA but you do need some computer literacy and the guts to possibly make something working not working if you make a mistake.

One thing I was really suprised with when it came to Sensis 07 software is just how many tracks it did know a name for which map books didn't, and your right with it recording a path you can make up any name you want so you can remember it anyway. I haven't tested Sensis 08 software much yet but I am hoping the graphical improvements aren't all they have done.

The Strike Genius Motorcycle GPS is coming out next month. Includes the car mount for free in the box as well as the handlebar mount. At $499 I think it is a winner.

I did 3 years of biological survey work in the Pilbara region of WA mainly looking for bores and wells in remote areas. As we were a government department we were restricted to using paper topo and geoscience maps. All I can say is that if a track wasn't on these maps it was pretty rare. I'm pretty sure you can get them for Ozi. I am however intrigues with everyone else's navigation options. Great thread!

Latest posts

Back