what is the max BOOST for d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure of what the ecu limp mode limit is but sensor max's out at 36psi according to the manual.

ok, Ive just heard there was some predetermined psi which ran the zd30 into limp mode, i just assumed it was the map sensor as this seemed most relevant.
so the MAP has a 36psi limit, so what causes the zd30 nav to go into limp when high boost is set.
I just plan on fiddling with boost a little bit to probably around 20psi with a stage 3 billet high flow.
my only concern was the longevity of the head, as the TD42 can run higher boost without detrimental effects due to being steel.
ans as for the comment above, diesel run cooler the more boost or "leaner" the mixture is, detonation doesn't apply. Fuel or a rich mixture causes high EGT and engine failure. The only negative with high boost is usually high IAT (inlet air temps)-turbo dependent.
as diesels A/F ratio varies significantly all the time from idle to full throttle.
Im confident the bottom end +bottom end bearings could handle 20psi as on the patrol forums they were discussing the inertial effects on the piston cycle with higher boost. Basically boost was not as significant as i once thought.

Anyone care to elaborate if they know the thread im talking about, cant seem to find it.

ok, Ive just heard there was some predetermined psi which ran the zd30 into limp mode, i just assumed it was the map sensor as this seemed most relevant.

Anyone care to elaborate if they know the thread im talking about, cant seem to find it.
also check patrol forum. they have issues with turbo going high boost and tripping overboost. i would have to check but by memory its something like 30psi before limp mode is hit. keep in mind a lot of them hit limp mode for other reasons rather than overboost.

I think tweak'e is on drugs..
On the D22 the ECU has no direct control over the turbo boost. The Turbo is set with a predetermined wastegate pressure. On the 2008 version that is 16psi, while the D40 version is set at 18psi (which is using the same turbo) but uses a MAP sensor to dynamically change the boost.
You might find that on the 2005 version it might still be set at 16psi.

Im currently running my boost at 20psi with EGTs not going over 450c, During a test i found the engine enters Limp mode at 23psi which would indicate some sort of sensor in the engine to monitor air pressure intake.
As far as i know the D22 engine can handle 32psi while the Stock turbo can handle 24psi But i wouldnt want to run any higher than 20psi. Run the mix too lean and the engine will heat up fast.

ok karlos you seam to be getting things mixed up.
D40 and D22 run totally different turbo's. all D22's are wastegated and all D40 are variable.

as mention more boost makes it cooler. diesels are opposite from petrols.
however air intake temps are a concern so good intercooling is a must.

there are several navaras running 40-50psi boost. do a search you will find them. blue navaras is the one i'm most familiar with. (350hp i think hes running)
of course non of them are running stock turbo's, but the internals of the engine are untouched.

perfect, so i think i should be right running 20 to low 20's with boost, I've almost got my chipit chip maxed on 6/7, so i may fiddle around with 7/7 and a heavier mix of water/meth to achieve more fuel delivery.

anyone have a dyno i can use ;)

How much power do you need Lawry? I use my 152hp rarely and that's towing caravan and gear about 2.2tonne by the way did you find the cause of that vibration?

perfect, so i think i should be right running 20 to low 20's with boost, I've almost got my chipit chip maxed on 6/7, so i may fiddle around with 7/7 and a heavier mix of water/meth to achieve more fuel delivery.
what turbo are you running?

How much power do you need Lawry? I use my 152hp rarely and that's towing caravan and gear about 2.2tonne ..../QUOTE]
i would so love that power at the wheels.
make hauling loads up the hills a fair bit easier.
It's good for overtaking roadtrains out west with the van but I drive like a granny around town and it could be stock for all I care but great to have that torque when needed.

I drive like a granny 99% of the time. The power is great for big hills where my mates drop to 70/80 on big hills ill stay at 100 also great on sand and bog holes. The turbo ATM is just stock but in a week ill have forefront stage 3 billet wheel.
The vibration is still there, but I sound deadened the tray floor which dampened it a fair bit. So I'm happy

Hay lawry. Did you get your Forefront turbo yet. Just interested in the results. By the way , does anyone know what the YD25 turbo is capable of at full noise. Has anyone ever maxed one out. I am playing around with a twin heat exchange setup on a water/air barrel cooler then I will add a chip and boost controller and get it tuned. I am trying for as close to ambient temps as possible. I don't even know if this is the rite way to go about it. What is the best setup for realistic power out of this engine. I know the turbo lets it down, but is it able to achieve say chiped D40 figures with a decent intercooler setup and say a forefront turbo and chip or flash tune without pumping smoke like a bush fire. I am reading that the engine is strong enough, just looking for the best way to extract the power out of it. What are the key things that are needed. Or is it just not possible. I know some will say why bother buy my Nav is my hobby so if it can be achieved than I would like to give it ago. Safe as possible of corse.

Cheers

so the MAP has a 36psi limit, so what causes the zd30 nav to go into limp when high boost is set.
I just plan on fiddling with boost a little bit to probably around 20psi with a stage 3 billet high flow.
my only concern was the longevity of the head, as the TD42 can run higher boost without detrimental effects due to being steel.
ans as for the comment above, diesel run cooler the more boost or "leaner" the mixture is, detonation doesn't apply. Fuel or a rich mixture causes high EGT and engine failure. The only negative with high boost is usually high IAT (inlet air temps)-turbo dependent.
as diesels A/F ratio varies significantly all the time from idle to full throttle.
Im confident the bottom end +bottom end bearings could handle 20psi as on the patrol forums they were discussing the inertial effects on the piston cycle with higher boost. Basically boost was not as significant as i once thought.

The manual does state 36.7 psi as the max for the MAP but atmospheric is 14.7, so 22psi as measured by your boost gauge is the max for the MAP. It also states that "the Charge Air Preesure Sensor isn't used to control the engine system under normal conditions".

Running the stage 3 now. Just finishing some custom metal intake pipe. Replacing the rubber stuff with metal and silicone. Anyway running it at 20psi now just purs along. With plenty of torque with my setup even though its under geared on 33s needs 4.625 to return it back to stock. Egt is 620 pre turbo max full noise under load at 100 odd.
turbo does help keeps IAT cool.

Very interesting about the map sensor and how little it seems to do with engine operation. Unless I didn't interpret it properly.

NOt sure on yd25 turbo efficiency. However as for boost on a zd30 20 is not alot at all. Only a 33% increase.

Yeah i would of thought that the MAP had a fair bit of say in fueling but not according to the manual. Thats from page 942, EC, 1D22FG1. Is your turbo Forefronts latest one with the larger inducer?

yer its strange that, maybe its just if there isnt ANY boost pressure but still fuels then it may throw it into limp mode.. other then that its seems that through the revs its doesn't do much..at all.

and yes its the new one from forefront, however its just the comp wheel and housing i just put it on myself and got it balanced.

Nice work, its an interesting tune, making power late in the rpm range and also a different torque curve. 160kw at the wheels or almost 190 at the engine is pretty smick!!!, i think 35psi is UN-necessary for the amount of power/fuel, must be a small turbo, but with a small turbo spinning of its face you would have to think the compressor wheel much be pretty dam efficient otherwise the IAT and EGT must be pretty dam high with just a cross country inter-cooler which i reckon would be way out of its flow/efficiency potential.

i know blue nav is pushing 40psi on a yd25 with 360-380hp at the wheels (crazy)
the zd30 could comfortable push that power figures. Boost doesn't kill diesels, fuel does!

very cool none the less :)

Something strange about that dyno report looks like another breed of donk the way the curve is and the stated final figure is very unusual for a zd30.:wristy:

All it's power does seem late in the rev range for a diesel. I'd be worried about 35psi pushing the crank out the sump, the ZD30 is a pretty old design. He's also using 2 chips - unusual!

don't forget thats only first run.
not sure why the two chips, i assume because the unichip requires a fair bit of tuning work. probably just using one for fuel and the other for timing and/or turbo control etc.

but 35psi is piddly. people get way to hung up on boost on diesels. its not like a petrol where the fueling is closely related to boost pressure. its boost + fuel that shoves the crank out the sump!

Back