What mods first

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busiboy

Reaction score
So I'm building my tourer and I've got gas (gear acquisition syndrome)

I've got a list of not so radical mods, but not sure where I should start.

Sliders
Tyres
Suspension
Winch
Lockers

Blah blah blah

Where would you start and why?

Body lift, so that when you install everything else you don't have to move out all again if you get a body lift later.

like everyone suggested already
if you have the dosh

1. bar
2. suspension lift and body if you have extra $$$
3. tyres
and everything else will follow

With D40's being quite low even with a 2" lift making them prone to under body damage, (i have seen one hit a SAND dune and drive the radiator back into the fan and in turn cracking the intercooler and bending allot of other crap, + the transfer is quite vulnerable.
So i would be doing
BAR WORK AND BASH PLATES (if you can afford the winch do it before the lift so the car will be at full weight when lift is fitted, this will enable you to install suspension best suited to your exact vehicle)
TYRES then LIFT
lockers last

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to with it. How often you get off road and how far you go off road.

Suspenshion lift/up grade then tyres. The effects are imeadiate even if driving your around the suburbs or to work.

If you already have the bullbar, get rid of the suspension - stock D40 springs are crap. The right suspension will give you 40-50mm of lift anyway.

Body lifts are not so easy because things like radiators need to be moved, bullbars won't line up with bodywork etc. Tyres will give you more clearance at a price - reduced economy and power due to the increased effective final drive ratio.

If you are intending to do work on gravel/dirt hills, get a front locker. The front diff is a weak open diff and if you lift a front wheel making it spin, when it touches the ground the energy will transfer in and break CVs, axles or the diff itself.

If you're not putting a winch up front, get recovery points mounted on your chassis (one on each side) and carry an equalisation strap with you.

If you already have the bullbar, get rid of the suspension - stock D40 springs are crap. The right suspension will give you 40-50mm of lift anyway.

Body lifts are not so easy because things like radiators need to be moved, bullbars won't line up with bodywork etc. Tyres will give you more clearance at a price - reduced economy and power due to the increased effective final drive ratio.

If you are intending to do work on gravel/dirt hills, get a front locker. The front diff is a weak open diff and if you lift a front wheel making it spin, when it touches the ground the energy will transfer in and break CVs, axles or the diff itself.

If you're not putting a winch up front, get recovery points mounted on your chassis (one on each side) and carry an equalisation strap with you.

I have not had a front locker in any of my Navs, and i do allot of off road driving with my last three navs which in total travelled more then half a million kms and i have done some trails that most people told me the Navara would not do and these tracks involved heaps of wheel spin and i have not broken any part of my driveline.

Im not disagreeing that the D40 diff and housing are NOT the strongest on the market BUT they are not as bad as some of the stories.
If you are aware that staying on the loud peddle with wheels in the air can and will cause you broken bits and force you to reach for the credit card then you will learn to drive accordingly.
If ever i feel the front wheel in the air i get ready to get off the gas when it looks like its coming back down, that way it hits the ground with out still being driven by the driveshaft and all the opposing forces are some what diminished.

In 95% of the broken diffs i have heard about including Woody's self admission he was revving it hard and kept revving it when the wheel hit the hard surface and BANG, so rev it at four grand and expect to spend 4 grand.

Want advice, dont believe half the bullshit that the aftermarket go on with.

Plenty of us have wasted enough money on claims of being super duper etc.

Drive it.

Install the bits you want to, in the order you want to, as funds and time allow.

Then drive it some more.

Honestly, there is no magic formula for the order to install gear.

Drive it.

Install the bits you want to, in the order you want to, as funds and time allow.

Then drive it some more.

Honestly, there is no magic formula for the order to install gear.

Thanks again for the replies.

I know there's no formula but on a forum of people wheeling navy's I thought there might be a consensus on what should be done first.

I took mine away on the weekend, I'll start with bash plates, then springs and tyres a bit later.

Cheers again

Everyone wants The same extras, but we all see our prioritys different especially when prior experience comes into it. I wanted a suspension upgrade first, but that changed after i got home from a trip and found i put a small dint in The sump, i but bashplates as quick as could, then my suspension.

Latest posts

Back