what motor can fit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like most of they guys said anything can be done, just depends on the amout of work/money...... In the US they fit V8s into Zooks so dont see whats would stop use fitting a 7.3diesel

old thread but i know some of the toyo guys have fitted the likes of bmw diesels. plenty of high powered small engine euro diesels to pick from.

anyone done a toyota 3b?

before you yell at me, I'm in canada with a td27 powered 4door d21. None ever sold here, and it's a bit of a slug.

3b's are everywhere, and they perk up pretty nicely with a turbo.

There' d be a lot more to it than just fitting the 3b. Probably have to do a solid axle swap with cruiser axles at the same time.

cheaper just to get a cruiser.
anything can be done, but by the time you do front axle, motor, driveline, probably chassis, theres not much left of a navara.

i would just turbo the td27.

Blast form the past.

Now days I can not see the point of engine swaps, particularly in 4WD's. and don't worry I've done a couple in my younger years. One, a hotted up Toyota 5K engine in an LJ50. Conversion went ok, went like a rocket but really I destroyed the the car. The miniscule 2-stroke engine had merit.

cheaper just to get a cruiser.
anything can be done, but by the time you do front axle, motor, driveline, probably chassis, theres not much left of a navara.

i would just turbo the td27.

cheaper? probably not. Rotted bj60's are a dime a dozen around here, finding any cruiser that isn't rusty is $$$.

And unfortuntately there are zero four door trucks in canada other than newer tacomas that still fetch a lot of money.

More curious if anyone had done it and how it fit. I enjoy projects like that, and we don't have any engineer inspections here, so you can do whatever you want (within reason, cops can still pull you over)

As for engine swaps, if you saw the meagre pickings we had up here for 4x4's, you'd probably consider one too.

i doubt anyone has done it. even if they have finding them on one forum is a needle in a haystack. but people have fitted the toyota 4l v8 so i have no doubt you could get it to fit.
you would have to check the engine height, but a body lift would cover that.

check axle widths. they may be close enough. if not shorten the axle or widen the body.

make new engine/gearbox mounts, custom driveshafts, custom sump.

have fun :)

i doubt anyone has done it. even if they have finding them on one forum is a needle in a haystack. but people have fitted the toyota 4l v8 so i have no doubt you could get it to fit.
you would have to check the engine height, but a body lift would cover that.

check axle widths. they may be close enough. if not shorten the axle or widen the body.

make new engine/gearbox mounts, custom driveshafts, custom sump.

have fun :)

Yeah, in all honesty I'll probably never do it, td27 seems like a good little engine, I've only had it a couple weeks, so we'll see if I can get the smoke to clean up.

(startups are a little ugly)

If I did have to pull out the engine, most likely I'd just throw in one of the 4cyl petrol engines the d21 came out with. As much as it would pain me to get rid of a diesel in favour of a petrol engine, there's a ton of those up here so easy to find parts for.

Hopefully it never comes to that...

cheers,
ryan

startup smoke, probably glow plugs. but check compression and injectors.
if compression is ok then turbo time.
good boost, intercooler and a heap of fuel and they will go well. they are a strong engine.

startup smoke, probably glow plugs. but check compression and injectors.
if compression is ok then turbo time.
good boost, intercooler and a heap of fuel and they will go well. they are a strong engine.

Yeah glow plug timer system wasn't working very well, only stayed on for ~8seconds and then no afterglow at all.

Now that it's push button it's much better. Still no afterglow, (unless I hit the button again) but it's a start.

Regarding the smoke, it starts and idles clean, it's if I try to throttle up that it starts farting and popping and smoking.

So at the moment, it just means letting it idle for a few minutes before going anywhere.

Haven't tested compression yet, the injectors were "allegedly" done within the last year or two.

From what I've read, some of these are symptoms of timing needing to be advanced.

I've had a bunch of diesel cruisers, and I've done a few different homebrew turbo setups, so I'm looking forward to getting into that, even if the compression is a bit low, it still runs well once it's over the first few minutes.

I take a few minutes to get my sh*t together in the morning too, so it's not the end of the world...

could be getting air into the pump or fuel draining back to tank. takes a bit to clear the air bubble.

not all glow systems of that era had afterglow. its not really needed.
but in really really cold areas after glow will help.

This one does have the afterglow, resistor in intake etc. Doesn't work tho.

I'm looking around to find a simple little timer, so that I can turn the afterglow on by hitting a button , and then it stays on for a few minutes before turning off automatically.

It's probably a little colder here than in the market the truck came from.( Japan most likely)

With the air, yeah I wonder too. The truck has an electric lift pump installed that runs when the key is on. Plumbed in near the fuel filter.

I know on some diesel cruisers (not to keep mentioning toyotas, I'm just more familiar with them) people install electric lift pumps and find things run better.

In this case I do wonder if it was installed because of an air leak around the IP. When I get a day off I plan to try the truck with the pump unhooked, although with some of these pumps fuel doesn't flow through them if they arent running, so I may have to bypass it or take it out.

Certainly makes bleeding the air out easier if nothing else.

i like to have lift pump before the main fuel filter. that way it pressurizes it. the biggest source of air in fuel is normally fuel filter leaking. but that means you need a pre filter to protect the pump. also fit a one way valve in parallel to the pump, so it automatically bypasses the pump if it fails.

also check what pump it is, many fit small pumps which are a restriction which in turn retards the timing.

you can get aftermarket glow systems. after glow typically runs off water temp rather than time. that way when really cold and the engine takes a very long time to warm up, the after glow runs for a long time.

you can also add things like exhaust brake/exhaust butterfly which chokes the exhaust and help heat up the engine.

my dream

after all these years after i put this qustion up,a 327 with a auto is what i would now do if the little 3lt sh8ts it self which is i bit hard now because it only does around 10,ooo a year now and three years since the head was done ,i know what you all going to say(mad ,rocks in his head)but i,ve seen a few partols with this done when we go and play ,35 inch tyre is standed with this group and just love how well these cars go in the hard stiff so if i could thats what i will do ,not saying that it would be done but the idea is in my mind

Latest posts

Back